Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Best trails to ride in Oxfordshire ?
  • ginge24
    Free Member

Off road mainly around RAF benson / wallingford.

Done the ridgeway from ewelme & watlington.

Does anyone know of trails around the RAF benson / wallingford area ?

andypandy85
    Free Member

If you’re in the RAF mate, give me an email, it’s in my profile. I know Benson and the area.

Andy

ginge24
    Free Member

Nice one mate will do cheers !

Joe

robbo
    Free Member

The best trail – got to be Grims ditch from Carmel College – actually a man made ancient ridge with a twisty singletrack along the top. Ace.

simonbea
    Free Member

Trying a chilterns ride tomorrow, could you point out the Grims Ditch section? I’ve ridden around the area noted as Grims Ditch on the Osmaps but never seemed to find the fabled trail

adsh
    Free Member

Take the back road in Crowmarsh out to the Carmel Colledge roundabout. This takes you passed Blakes feed merchants. Cross over A4074 at the roundabout (care – fast traffic from the right). Head towards Reading for 75m then turn left up slope through a gate. You are now on the bridkepath part of Grims Ditch. Points to not Others come the other way, there is one hole that needs a bit of care, the path is not very technical but does srop off enough either side that getting it wrong can hurt and the trig point by the side is concrete.

Cross the road continue on the track for the rootier descent. Most would then turn right for 300m before turning left tjrough woodhouse farm for the long climb through the woods to Nuffield. You then can crossover into a descent to Witheridge Hill and with a bit of care make a great loop around Stoke Row etc.

The Ridgeway is probably the worst bit of riding in the county. I only use it as a connector. You are about 2 miles from really great riding to the West!

nickjb
    Free Member

We used to do a nice loop out by the king bill. Some woods just to the north of the pub IIRC, but it was quite a few years ago

ginge24
    Free Member

Cheers guys,Yeah the ridgeway is shocking,I only rode it because I lived in watlington right opposite the entrance.There is a good fast downhill but of riding if you take the route from ewelme and go round the back but that’s it & it only lasts for 2 minutes if that !!

I’m in the progress of building another bike and once I have wheels I will check your route out .

Thanks

jkomo

Hi, any chance of a map link for those of us who don’t know the area at all?
    I need an alternative to Cannock or FOD.
    Thanks

ginge24
    Free Member

Do you know wallingford or Crowmarsh ? I will google a route for you

renton
    Free Member

Ginge… not sure where you are working at Benson but there is a lad in PASF called John Snell who does quite alot of riding around the area.

Ive just left Benson and although there is lots of riding to be done I never seemed to have the time due to work commitment ! :mrgreen:

rob2
    Free Member

I’m in cholsey. There are loads of bridleway out towards Henley way or also towards goring. If you go on bikeradar (I know! ) on the routes part and search chilterns there are some good routes there.

Two children means I don’t get out alas !!

There are a group that goes out every Wednesday at 7 from wood street car park in Wallingford. Look up grimsditchbikers

renton
    Free Member

rob2 was it yourslef that has the cafe down in cholsey?? never did get round to coming down there!!

neiloxford
    Free Member

Thoroughly recommend this book:

http://www.v-outdoor.co.uk/products/mountain-biking/south-east-mountain-biking—ridgeway-chilterns.php

P.s note the downloadable files at the bottom for free 🙂

I picked it up from evans for £6, would pay full RRP based on how much i have used it.

jkomo

Thanks

jkomo

Ginge, is there a wAy of downloading it to googlemaps to follow it on the phone?

jkomo

Unless someone fancies doing it in an hour?

rob2
    Free Member

Renton – I am indeed. Need to update the bike mags in there!

ginge24
    Free Member

Jkomo,is there a search bar on google maps ? If so type in the route name and it will come up ? I don’t use google maps.I would join you if I had wheels maybe next time

jkomo

Ok thanks.
    I have a spare trance in small if you get the urge.

ginge24
    Free Member

It would be to small 🙁 cheers to.Hopefully I will be sorted by next week if you fancy a ride out then

jkomo

I’m doing Silverstone sportive unfortunately.

But after that would be good.

ginge24
    Free Member

Ok cool give me a shout

johnny

There’s loads of good riding in the Chilterns, although it can get a bit boggy in the winter unless you have an idea of where to go. Roughly speaking, the area south of Nettlebed, across to Henley/ south to Pangbourne has a lot of wooded singletrack, with some good descents east and west.

Further north, especially in the Watlington/Turville/Hambledon area, it gets more rolling and rockier (flint and chalk) which tends to get less boggy in the wet.

There are several groups which ride out of Reading, one loosely affiliated with AW cycles, as well as the off-road CTC group, and another from Pangbourne which has a website called Goodrideguide. There are probably loads more too, which i don’t know about.

If you’re planning a ride, or want someone to lead one, i’m game! My email is in profile.

ginge24
    Free Member

Yes Johnny there is a few if us and I’m just getting back into riding again so I will be in touch and we can sort a ride out in the next couple of weeks ?

Cheers
    Joe

johnny

Great, i’m ‘between’ regular riding groups at the moment, mainly due to a lack of time on my part. so it’d be good to get a regular Saturday/Sunday morning group going.

TheWrongTrousers

ginge24
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be able to do most Saturdays as I play rugby but Sundays should be fine.
    I’ll get in touch.

adsh
    Free Member

Would be interested in getting out with a group.

FWIW it’s easy to get good trails the hard bit is linking them into a coherant loop. There’s always a boring road bit somewhere!

ginge24
    Free Member

Let’s sort a ride out at some point then ? I haven’t been out on trails for a while

jkomo

Anyone fancy going tomorrow?

nickc

Trails will be horrid from now until…April(ish) 2014. Unless we get a v cold winter

jkomo

Ah, ok

robbo
    Free Member

Not true Nicky. Just back from Woodcote/Checkendon and yes some are a bit clay but avoid the horse driveways and it’s fine still. Pissing down tonight though!

nickc

Aye, and probably all weekend

That’s me on the roadie from now on unless there’s a good hard frost

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Best trails to ride in Oxfordshire ?’ is closed to new replies.