Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • BEST town in Britain?
  • backhander
    Free Member

Lynmouth, Bath, Betws, Croyde.
    Why Salisbury has any votes is beyond me. Totally pointless place and packed with traffic as it's used as a thoroughfare

deluded
    Free Member

GlennG,

Good lad. Come along and join us.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I love Ulverston (where I live).
    Also on the list are Kendal, Ambleside and Aviemore.
    For some strange reason I hate Keswick, but don't really know why!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Hadn't thought of the Peat Spade. Was there a few weeks ago for a meal as well! I'm localish but our chairman is Stockbridge born and bred.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Backhander, could it be because of the great pubs, the superb bike shop, the truly stunning cathedral, etc. etc. etc?

backhander
    Free Member

Dont see it CFH. Too ugly, loud and modern for me, each to his own though…

IHN

For those bigging up Bristol, care to sell it to me? I'm working there at the moment, possibly for the foreseeable future and am half sort of maybe considering beginning to possibly think about moving there.

Folks seem to rave about it, but I just don't get it. What is it that I'm not getting?

Oh, and if I were to think about moving there, which are the good/bad bits?

backhander
    Free Member

IHN, I live in Bristol and I like it. It has everything of a big city and has easy access to green areas and hills like wales/quantocks/cotswolds/mendips/exmoor etc etc.
    Cornwall and devon close(ish). Decent airport (so much that I haven't flown out of london for years). I am turning into middle age and like the quiet life on the outskirts. Loads of culture too apparently if you like that kind of thing!
    EDIT: sh1t wendyball teams though!
    Bath is very nice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Salisbury? Ugly? Modern? Are we talking about the same town?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Boroughbridge, where I am now, is also a smashing place to live, as long as you don't want a hectic lifestyle!

And you don't live too close to the river

Naa, i'm up by the big corner shop with an 'M' on it!

loddrik
    Free Member

Frodsham, well for some reason I think I will probably move there in the next 5 years.

loddrik
    Free Member

Liverpool , of course, best place in the world, anyone who disagrees is obviously a daily mail reader…

porterclough
    Free Member

Frodsham – "It's nicer than Runcorn"

gonetothehills
    Free Member

No votes (that I've seen) for Macc yet? It's ace. Full stop.

slugwash
    Free Member

Croyde.

Croyde? The beaches look like bloody Dunkirk, except the people in the queues on the beaches are holding surfboards and not Lee Enfields.

IMHO, it's a

Totally pointless place and packed with traffic

😉

StumpyBlurRider
    Free Member

LONDON..BEST GALS..£££…NO HILLS 😆

tyger
    Free Member

Born, raised and live in Chichester which makes me a Cicestrian 🙂

Been many places but home will always be home for me – seeing the cathedral lit up against a black velvet night sky still takes my breath away as does sitting on the Trundle and taking in the view. Now I'm working at Goodwood and couldn't be happier – yep Chichester takes the no 1 spot for me.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Stoke-on-Trent
    Manchester
    London
    Edinburgh
    Rhayader

coogan
    Free Member

Edinburgh (born and live here)
    Stirling
    Manchester

London I like, but it's far from the greatest city on the planet!

muddy@rseguy

Hmm, Well in no particular order:

Keswick
    Dolgellau
    Salcombe
    Aysgarth
    Ashbourne
    Storrington
    Yes , I'll admit it, Chichester is really nice too even though I live a bit further east 🙂

Well, actually anywhere with hills/mountains, forests, lakes, rivers or sea and a few good pubs and some decent trails nearby 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

IMHO, it's a

Totally pointless place and packed with traffic

Not in the winter it aint 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

San Fran Bristo-L

Miss it like crazy – moving back in about a year… can't wait. 😀

GlennG
    Free Member

+1 Chichester, good call Tyger, only been here about 5 years after moving from Brighton, is a nice place to live (not too many chavs)

SaxonRider

My mention of Northumberland wasn't explicit enough, as we seem to have moved into cities.

Newcastle is, frankly, often overlooked. Beautiful city. Hadrian's Wall. Heritage galore. And best accents in England.

tyger
    Free Member

GlennG email me sometime I know some lesser known local trails tyger@talk21.com

Diane
    Free Member

Innerleithen 😀

Cambridge is lovely too

Inners with Cambridge weather – now that would be paradise!

Si
    Free Member

Newton Abbot

mrsflash
    Free Member

Don't move to bristol Nettles, you'll get your bike nicked. Oh no, I forgot, you've bought that brown thing so you won't.

white101

Corbridge
    Helmsley (North Yorks)
    Harrogate
    Keswick
    Richmond (North Yorks)
    York
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Peebles
    Ripon

Haven't lived down south much other than Pompey and Plymouth when in the Navy and not really places I could live again, although there are some cracking little villages along the coast, Dartmouth Brixham area

user-removed
    Free Member

Currently trying to persuade Mrs Removed to move to Skye (Portree?!). Usually, we only see it in the Winter, at Christmas, when there's a near permanent gale force wind blowing, complete with horizontal rain.

So I'd forgotten how amazing it was until a Summer trip this year.

Edinburgh a close 2nd, preferably somewhere in Stockbridge (if only for the pubs).

Currently in an old pit village between Durham and Sunderland, so pretty much anywhere else would be an improvement…

mudshark
    Free Member

I lived in Chester for many years and wouldn't go back, Winchester is far better if you like that sort of thing. Chester looks nice enough but too many tourists and chavs.

Dorking gets my vote; wanted to move there (well Westhumble to the north) but nothing available so now live in a nearby village.

Philby

Bristol – where I live
    Leeds – where I was born
    York
    Harrogate
    Whitby
    Otley
    Ilkley
    Skipton
    Richmond (North Yorks)
    Edinburgh
    Wells
    St Albans
    Dartmouth

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Brighton????

I had the misfortune to spend a weekend there a couple of years ago – streets covered in puke and chewing gum – the old shopping area smelt like a telephone box – stale urine.

After dark open drug dealing and hordes of very drunk partly clothed folk carrying large packs (mostly consumed) of stella.

No active Policing – they just came round after it was all over and picked up the incapable human detritus that was left.

Brighton and Hove = Sodom and Gomorrah

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Keswick is great, really love it. but, i alos really like Leeds/Bradford too.

brack
    Free Member

Well as all of my family live in New Zealand …there must be something keeping me here…somewhere that I keep returning to time and time again after long spells overseas.

Chichester!

Windsurfed this morning, came home had a shower….cycled up to a country pub just north of the Downs for an afternoon meal.

I regulary cycle and windsurf/surf/kite on the same day!!

Great place…though the chavs are a coming, and we are a tad too close to the Larndaners but hey ho can't have everything!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Well! I'd never have believed it, unless I saw it with my own eyes, Bradford mentioned in 'best town in Britain' thread. Best curries in Britain prehaps.

Ambrose

Machynlleth. Lived there twenty years ago. And I wish I still did.

Goz
    Free Member

Cardigan, Rhosneiger,Falmouth,Hay on Wye.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Bath
    Brighton
    poss Bournemouth….
    but Bristol is pretty impressive alround

…..what is about towns that begin with 'B' ?

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

So many towns I love here, I could list 20 or 30 that I adore…but my favourite would be a 50:50 split between:

Malvern
    Bath

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘BEST town in Britain?’ is closed to new replies.