Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • BEST town in Britain?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hebden Bridge. Its the only place I want to move to and I only live a few miles away as it is… AWESOME riding (even better than my end of the valley if thats possible), lovely shops and cafes and generally a really nice slightly 'hippy' vibe about the place. I like it…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Patley Bridge

What on earth is there about Pateley Bridge that is remotely interesting? The only good thing about it is the fantastic road climb up Greenhow Hill.

jam-bo

I'm another who loves this country.

Tavistock is hard to beat, pretty, not too big, lots a friends. Ace kayaking, biking, climbing and surfing closeby.

Only thing missing is a decent Thai restuarant.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Good to See my home of five years, Brighton being so popular, and my home town of holmfirth even getting a mention.

Brighton
    Bristol
    Fowey (cornwall)
    Woolacombe

No particular order, other than Brighton being the clear winner.

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CaptFH, a certain little Cockney geezah who also loves Laaaaadan village says "I love you"
    😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

Frome is a nice little town, I may go there to die!

malchales
    Free Member

London, (born there) greatest city on planet

Brighton, lived there for 25 yrs just a fantastic place to live & ride !!

Austin,TX, lived there for 3 yrs fun,fun,fun………

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

york is alright to visit, but i grew up there, and its nowt special to live in.
    edinbrgh is a fab place though, i plan on ending up there after uni.

st andrews is a great little town too – perfect for my studenty needs. its got cheap supermarkets out of town, its small, its very friendly (never seen any fights or 'owt), everywhere is easy to reach etc…. however i'n not live here after uni – the students would make it hell 😉

ton

Pateley bridge has a fantastic pie shop……… 8)
    and some nice riding too pretty much on the door step.

tonyg2003

Abergavenny or Brecon
    Dorking (if you have to live and MTB in the SE)
    Alnwick/Alnmouth (was there last week)
    St Davids

For cities
    London (sorry still love it)
    Newcastle
    Cambridge

All good for riding except Cambridge! – but a more dynamic business place is harder to find in the UK

franki
    Free Member

I was in Camden at the weekend (not been before) and that must rank as my favourite town / city area now. Amazing place!
    I was there for a concert and the afterparty, but spent some time exploring the markets, cafes and bars too.

I wouldn't say London as a whole necessarily, but I'm warming to it…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Stonehaven

Glasgow, not so big on Edinburgh, myself

Belfast, much better than it used to be.

I also like Stromness and Kirkwall

crazy-legs

Kendal
    Cardiff
    London (well certain parts, specifically S of the river)
    Lancaster (why did I ever move from there? 🙁 )

grumm
    Free Member

Lancaster is lovely I very much like living here. Traffic is a pisstake though.

bigdonx
    Free Member

Inverness – what more could you want – close enough to the wilderness and far enough from most of the people!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

^^^ Fowey

Gotta agree with that one – lovely place. Stayed there a couple of years ago (on the quiet side which just has the two pubs). Stayed in a tiny cottage overlooking the estuary and loved it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PeterP, if a city can make both that grubby little urchin and I agree, then it has to be great! 🙂

orena45

Lizzard

I wouldn't call The Lizard a town!…@rse end of no-where village more like with the nearest town being Helston…which is also full of nothing…although saying that, does have a good pasty shop!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Swanage, life just bimbles by, nice beach & the purbecks 🙂

Although it does get a bit busy in Summer … however the fireworks from the pier help make up for that

brooess
    Free Member

London – a bit love/hate sometimes but really, nothing else quite compares
    Chester – beautiful city
    Betws/Ogwen Valley – always happy to be there
    St David's. Newgale Beach – just beautiful even when the weather's cr*p
    South Coast – Poole, Purbeck – beautiful esp in summer
    South Downs – as above
    Surrey Hills – as above
    UK is a beautiful country. And as Op says, we should celebrate it

penguinni

Bangor. Co Down, Northern Ireland

lowey

Frankly, I'm staggered that no one has said Bolton yet.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

+1 Stockbridge.
    Wichester and Corfe. Brightons good too.

juan
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Seahouses is a hole! Sorry, but it really is!

For me;
    London – Don't care what people say, it's simply the best city on the planet.
    I want my foucking 5£ fred IS CFH…

slugwash
    Free Member

Brighton
    Lewes
    London
    & Totnes.

All towns with good off-road cycling in easy reach that I've loved living in (or just outside of in the case of Totnes).

AndyRT
    Free Member

Peaselake for the tea and cheese straws
    Corfe for the cream teas
    Ambleside for home made lamb burgers and sticky toffee pudding at the end of a great ride
    Glecorwyg for Tuna & baked spud after riding W2 and Penhydd all joined up
    Padstein for tourist ready fish & chips and the camel trail up the estuary for wife and kid to blow off some steam
    Lyndhurst for the butchers and seasonal venison
    Winchester for the farmers Market
    London for Emu steaks on a friday afternoon under the arches
    Chapel Porth, St Agnes for the Hedgehog Icecream and the coastal path

You get the idea

oh, and to those that can only criticise this wonderful country: there are planes, trains and boats leaving everyday in all directions. Take your pick.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Another vote for Chester…… but I am biased as I have always lived there and can't imagine being anywhere else (although by the sea would be nice).
    Why? It's a nice looking place, not too big, easy to get to other places and a massive variety of riding within 1hrs drive.
    Bad bits….. parking is tricky, needs more shops at the moment, Delamere as of last Sunday morning has reverted back into slippy slidey covered in mud mode – hang on that might be a good thing 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mulletus, was very busy there earlier. Had to park up by Caviste and walk down to Robinsons. Obviously, this meant that to get to the car, I had to go back to Caviste….Well, you get the picture!

Juan, peut-être, mon vieux, peut-être……

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I agree with those who said Seahouses is crap.
    Alnmouth & Alnwick are both lovely.
    Harrogate is good too.
    Durham, where I'm from originally, is a great little city. (although there are some proper iffy places nearby)
    Boroughbridge, where I am now, is also a smashing place to live, as long as you don't want a hectic lifestyle!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Boroughbridge, where I am now, is also a smashing place to live, as long as you don't want a hectic lifestyle!

And you don't live too close to the river 😉

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Aberystwyth – A bit studenty for some, but I really like it.
    Tenby – Nicest sea-side town I know of
    Ambleside
    Aviemore
    Cardiff, great city and some great riding around the area.

I happen to love my home town of Llandovery as well.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Had to park up by Caviste and walk down to Robinsons. Obviously, this meant that to get to the car, I had to go back to Caviste….Well, you get the picture!

What a chore that must of been. Life sucks sometimes eh!! 🙄
    Myself and a few friends have formed a Stockbridge Cricket Club and Robinsons have been kind enough to sponsor us. End of season BBQ will be good. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MM, might have to look that up for the summer….! How about you get the Three Cups to sponsor as well!

mcboo
    Free Member

London, dont think I could leave but if I had to it would be Edinburgh.

also
    Bath
    Hove (OK then Brighton too)
    Ambleside
    Fowey, agreed but not to live.
    Cambridge

and Dorking! How bloody nice is Dorking? Great riding too but the town itself its lovely.

mt
    Free Member

Pateley bridge has a fantastic pie shop………

Actually two fantastic pie shops in 100 yards!

Holmfirth yer right. Deanhouse more like.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

We were looking at the Three Cups but they didn't seem too interested. It's still a lovely pub for afternoon drinks in the garden by the stream though. Best pub in the town imo.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Garstang in lancashire.Five minute walk from anywhere in the town and your in the countryside.The cities of lancaster and preston are only 12 miles each way away.And better still 40mins drive your in the lakes

deluded
    Free Member

Bristol. Marked by IKB magnificent structure.

Very well appointed for MTB'eeerrrrs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MM, you could try asking the Peat Spade, they're decent sorts! If not, why not ask Caviste, could get some lovely stuff from them….! (Assume you're local?)

GlennG
    Free Member

I want to move to Bristol, close to quannies & south wales for biking, an hour and half drive from good surfing, Bristol gets my vote.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘BEST town in Britain?’ is closed to new replies.