Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best tires for endurance events?
  • krixmeister

Hi all-

After having done the 10 Under the Ben last year, have signed up for a few of the endurance events (10+ hours) this year.
    Have some Xmas money I'd like to spend on a new set of tires, to begin training and getting used to them.
    Wondering what the consensus is given requirements for comfort, traction in incredibly various riding conditions, and being able to use with Stans No Tubes. What tires/sizes are people running, for these endurance events?

–Kristan

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Personally I like Nobby Nics, roll fast, lightweight with a reasonable level of grip in almost all conditions.

I have 2.1s on my hardtail and 2.25s on the full sus and can't really distinguish much difference. Going to try the 2.25s on the hardtail to see if it gives a bit more comfort this year.

Racing Ralphs also supposed to be good as an alternative the NNs if it's drier conditions. I'll probably give them a go this year at some point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It all depends on the conditions

krixmeister

TJ- you're right, but problem is the longer events – esp the Kielder – have pretty much all conditions. The 10UTB for example had fire roads, tarmac, dry rocks, bogs, and dirt singletrack all in a 10-ish mile lap! And then add in weather variability over the course of a long race…

So I guess I'm looking for a reasonably all-round, lightweight, low-rolling-resistance, reasonably grippy tire. I've kind of narrowed my thoughts down to:

1) Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralph rear
    2) Conti Speed Kings front & rear

Open to other thoughts. Have heard good things about some of the Hutchison tires, but I don't believe they are meant to work very well with Stans NoTubes.

stumpy01

I have found Speed Kings to be quite a good compromise for rolling resistance/grip/durability/weight.

Only issue I have with them is that on my rims they are a git to take off/put on so may be a problem if you puncture. Not sure if it's just the rim/tyre combo or whether they are a tight fit in general.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have used speed kings and they are great fast rolling, light and grippy.

Not good in mud and make sure you get the German ones with the black chilli compound.

RRD
    Free Member

I really rate the NN/RR combination. Definitely run with a NN on the front as it will give your steering more bite than a RR. However Schwalbe are not cheap and they do not last as well as other tyres I've had.

Used this combination in all conditions and have found it works surprisingly well. Even though the rolling resistance is pretty low there is still plenty of grip and it is a predicatbly tyre combination. 2.25s by the way. Defintely go for the bigger volume.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Very limited experience from em but if its dryish – speedkings for quick rolling but if its wet conti edges for mud clearing and grip. Conti snow claws for ice.

Most of my Puffer laps were on the Conti edges – really good grip especially cornering grip is really sloppy mud and slush. Not too draggy and not too heavy.

IMO light tyres are crucial.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've been using Speed King Supersonics for a few months and been quite impressed with them, even in wet conditions.

I haven't used Nobby Nics but I've used Racing Ralphs and found the Speed Kings much better overall.

schmiken

I use a mixture of Nics, Rons, Ralphs and Freds for everything – probably the best rolling and grippy combo for me is a Ron on the front and Ralph on the back. Go up fine on Stans too.

BigJohn

I've been very impressed with my High Roller 2.1.

Paceman
    Free Member

High Roller 2.35 Single Ply on the front, and either the same or 2.1 version on the rear. Works for me 12 months a year.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Kenda small block 8s if its dry and dred treds if its wet …. No im not sponsored by them they just seem to suit me. Contis and schwalbe (mtb tires) keep getting sidewall damage with me and maxxis cross mark i borrowed i found more useless than the sb8 and a good bit heavier. in slightly damp conditions…my conclusion is im too heavy for speedkings or schwalbes light tires at 12 stone but too light for maxxis so the kendas work for me being in the middle weight wise.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

14 stone here and no problems with Nobby Nics.I switch to a Ralph on the rear for summer.
    Pretty good compromise for the mixed surfaces that I ride.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i found cross marks to be fab tyres. might whack ome on my 29er this summer…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best tires for endurance events?’ is closed to new replies.