Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best time for rhubarb jam
  • Gilles

mmm… not sure I will have an answer here, but if i can save creating a login on some cooking/gardening website, I have a go.
    My question is: I would like to use the rhubarb from my garden to do some jam, but somebody told me that at this time of the year they will be too aciditic to be any good for your stomac. Is it true ? I got plenty, specially after all this rain.

Thanks,

Gilles

Anna-B
    Free Member

Hey Gilles, I'm not an expert on rhubarb jam…. but I wouldn't hesitate to make some now if I had loads in the garden. This is rhubarb time of year, you just need to put sugar with it cos it's bitter stuff otherwise, as always though with jam.

Yum. Give it a go!

Gilles

Thanks Anna, I will then!

woody2000

Rhubarb isn't particularly sweet at any time AFAIK. It's the boiling it up with copious amounts of sugar that renders it palatable 🙂

Drac

It's best when it young yes if you hammer it back a bit should get some more come through pretty quick, can also be forced using the old technique of buckets with holes in.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

What about rhubarb crumble and custard. Food of the Gods.

clump
    Free Member

There is NO good time for ANY rhubarb based foods. Them and gooseberries are the only two foods that make me gag. It would be a waste of good sugar.

avdave2

The rhubarb I've just eaten from the garden tastes fantastic. I'm sorry ChatsworthMusters but putting custard anywhere near your crumble is a crime on the same level as putting milk in your tea or cream on your strawberries. The best food and drink can easily be ruined with the simple application of a dairy based product. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best time for rhubarb jam’ is closed to new replies.