Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • best technique/solution/tools for straightening a mech hanger?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

discovered that my £5 tip purchase Marin has an integrated mech hanger.

It is bent in a little, its a hefty bit of steel to have to try and bend?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

adjustable spanner

scotroutes

“Best” is a mech hanger straightening tool.

jekkyl

an LBS should have a tool that extends into a great long bar to make minor adjustments easier.

DickBarton

If diy at home, then a vice and bend slowly…adjustable spanner can also work…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

don’t have a bench or vice unfortunately

will find out my biggest adjustable, i’m assuming a lie it on the floor, stand over it, feet on opposite seat stays type scenario?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

will find out my biggest adjustable, i’m assuming a lie it on the floor, stand over it, feet on opposite seat stays type scenario?

😀 you’re not building the Titanic. If you’ve got a decent size asjustable, it should bend pretty easy.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

😆 believe me I’m like the Stan Laurel of Bike Maintenance!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well, I reckon you might be best putting a rear wheel in it and clamping it up to keep everything in place. Then you know it’s just the hanger you’re bending.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

….that’s a good idea…..I’m glad I thought of that…. 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

Integrated? Not replaceable in any way? Would be odd as the whole point of them is to be sacrificial and replaceable to avoid more costly damage.

scotroutes

Common with steel and Ti frames

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Usually steel frames are non-replaceable.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ah right. So dropout would be steel (for a steel frame), less risk of snapping if you bend it back I guess?

scotroutes

Aye.

DickBarton

Depends on age of frame…replaceable dropouts didn’t really start appearing until 2000 and then became standard about 2005/6…

Northwind

Aedjustable spanner will bend it but chances are, you’re going to bend it squint. Have you got an old cup and cone wheel? The axle on those is usually the same thread as the hanger. You can use a whole wheel- it’s way easier to see what’s straight and what’s not- or you can pull the axle and lay a straight edge into the dropout and see it that way. It makes a good bendin’ handle too. You’ll get it 100% straight every time, as long as you’re at least slightly ept.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘best technique/solution/tools for straightening a mech hanger?’ is closed to new replies.