Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best sub £100 tow-bar mounted bike rack – Thule 970 or other?
  • Flapjack
    Free Member

Hi
    Just about to get a new car with a factory tow-bar and thinking of getting a cheapish tow ball mounted bike rack for 2 bikes. Been looking at the Thule 970 xpress 2 as for £60 it seems to tick all the boxes (cheap, easy to fit and store, carries 2 bikes, decent make). It will be getting very little use so I don’t need anything too industrial or expensive, I just want a quicker more convenient option than roof bars etc.

Does anyone have one or have any experience of using one? and will it really take 2 full suss mountain bikes, or are there any better options out there for similar money?

Thanks for any advice & ideas.

FJ

redstripe
    Free Member

I like the Pendle ones http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/hang-on-tb-rack.php really solid and easy to take arms off and store in boot. Just over budget but come up on local gumtree & ebay searches used often, paid £30 for mine with the mounting bracket. Mines a fixed flange towbar but I think you can get the brackets for swan neck type as well if that’s what you have. The scissor type always had a habit of moving with 2 bikes on in my experience which was a bit disconcerting, much prefer the Pendle one.

andyg1966

Ive got the Thule 970 and use a Toyota Rav4, with my 120mm 29er the bike touch the ground over mild speed bumps taken slowly. Won’t take 2 bikes easily.

Its is solid though and doesn’t fall off.

Avoid.

Go for a pendle “wheel support rack” 2nd hand, i’ve got one of these.
    eBay

garage-dweller

If that Thule is the scissor action thing I would go for the Pendle hang on if you can get the right mountings for your towbar. I’ve owned both and the Pendle wheel support rack.

The Thule is well made and it’s compact BUT
    To get two MTBs on your handlebars and pedals have to be very close to the rear screen/bootlid on a square backed car (estate or hatch) or you have to turn the bars/remove a pedal. Minor risk of paint loss.
    Those big rubber grippers on the arms are excellent but with smaller bikes they’re so bulky they don’t fit inside the frame so you end up with extra straps. I find mine excellent for one bike and ok for two.

If you get the three bike version of the Pendle hang on there is loads of room for two big bikes with minimal faffing.

The Pendle wheel support is a pig to store and manouevre off the car ime. It is however very strong and stable and could be trusted with negotiating our way out of the EU. For occasional use I would avoid. However, if it lives on your car and/or you have loads of storage space and it gets used day in day out it would be the best of the three. Although you can’t open the boot (on a hatch or estate) without removing it or unbolting and lowering one of the support arms.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I have a Thule 970 Xpress 2, and for two FS bikes it’d be a nightmare. One is OK but there’s just not enough room for two.

Marko

Go for a pendle “wheel support rack” 2nd hand, i’ve got one of these.

And watch it turn into a pile of rust . . .

Unless you can keep it inside and don’t use it in the rain. 😆

Got the Tee shirt (and a welder, so I was OK with repairing mine).

I find the Thule 972 just about OK for 2 MTB’s – can be found for under £100

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

2nd hand Maxxraxx… picked mine up for £20

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best sub £100 tow-bar mounted bike rack – Thule 970 or other?’ is closed to new replies.