Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best stem for my 456?
  • mralexbenn
    Free Member

Looking for a new stem to counter all the front end lift I seem to get on the climbs can you guys suggest anything?

At the mo have a hussefelt 50mm on which is great on the downs but I struggle to keep my weight over the front on the ups. Have a Pike for on which is at 120mm for all but the roughest downs then it goes to 140mm.

Cheers

TomHill
    Free Member

Try a 65 or 70mm one? The cheapest you can find while you decide what length feels best? I think I have a 70mm one and it feels about right. Tempted to try shorter. Wouldn't want to go longer due to the long TT. (I'm 6ft on a 18inch frame)

EDIT – oh, and I ride with Revelations always at 140mm, and have noticed any front end lift on the climbs (although do ride singlespeed, so have to crank out of the saddle on anything particularly steep)

br
    Free Member

Your frame is too small, consequently you are in the wrong position?

Or.

Roll your seat down a bit too, plus maybe roll your bars forward.

I run a 90mm on mine and 140mm forks, no probs here.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Shame you aren't closer, am after a shorter stem so I can get over the back a touch easier (I think) could have had a quick swap to check. I get a little front end lift but read something about pulling down and back on the bars when climbing and it kind of works, most of the time…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a 70mm Syncros on my 18". Just the job. Steering is easily quick enough, and it climbs okay. Not briliant but manageable.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I run a 90mm on my 16" 456 so the reach feels right and it does stay planted on the climbs. But I run 120mm travel SC32's which are quite short

thomthumb
    Free Member

that bike looks scarily like mine!! i'm currently running a 70mm stem on mine. (18") 70mm feels perfect for general trail riding – never get front end lift.

i do have a 50mm to try at some point….

mralexbenn
    Free Member

I might try a 70mm cheep stem then and see how i get on. Any one got a spare knocking about to fit oversize bars?

Im 6ft and the bike is 18inch so the fit is fine, it's just the front end lift on climbs.

And to avoid it looking like a clone I was thinking of a pearl white respray some time soon, i here Triple s in Bingley are good?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best stem for my 456?’ is closed to new replies.