Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best steel hardtail complete bike
  • theo_godfrey
    Free Member

This year's ride to work allowance is burning a hole in my pocket. Happy to over the £1000 scheme limit, but only as far as about £1800. Which means its likely got to be an off the shelf bike. Options?

Orange P7 pro (bit too much travel for me)
    Orange R8 pro (horrible colour)
    Rock Lobster 853
    On One Inbred (though the build options for a complete bike look a bit low spec and there's never much in stock)

Have considered getting a Rock Lobster for £1000 and sticking the parts on an Inbred frame.

18bikes

we can do custom on the frames we've got – some rough ideas here

Off the peg Genesis bikes are cracking value in that range – we've got them, and demo too.

Si

ampthill

Well you nedd to look at genesis

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/altitude/

I'm tempted

If your looking for a donner bike for parts I'd look at a Boardman as well

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_Pro.html

corroded
    Free Member

3rd Genesis… really like the look of the Altitudes.

IdleJon

+4 for Genesis.

I've got an Altitude 20 (also on C2W) and it's my favourite bike for a long time.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

what about a whyte 19 steel? coming in at 1600 notes, nice group, bit shorter travel than a p7, and prettier.

http://www.whytebikes.com/2010/19steel.html

We're getting them in at cyclesurgery very shortly.

DT78
    Free Member

I got a charge duster which I'm happy with. I'd be tempted with a Genesis if I needed another one!

Johnboy373
    Free Member

another for Genesis got an Altitude 10 and loving it!!

eckinspain
    Free Member

took me a little while to love it but now you wouldn't part me from my Genesis Altitude 20 for love nor money!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Ditto Genesis. I built one up second hand as a winter hack to save the full suss but love it so much I can see it being used all through the summer too. Love it.

snakebite
    Free Member

just ordered a Genesis Alptitude as my winter bike, off the peg a pretty decent spec/build.

JonMyhill
    Free Member

I've been riding a Genesis Altitude 10 (09) for about 4 months and its a cracker for the money. I love the steel frame – really lively without seeming whippy or twitchy.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

If you want to keep it about £1k then wot about the Voodoo Wanga from Halfrauds of all places – probably the best value steel bike out there for £900 and it rides superbly.

Mine's being bashed about in the Peaks for 6 months now and has been fantastic…

chakaping
    Free Member

I'd also probably go for a Genesis, but that Whyte is new to me and looks bloody lovely.

HTTP404
    Free Member

If its any help with a barclaycard breathe you can fetch 10% off all bikes. Making the wanga more like £800.
    The other advantage being if you're bored of gears you can go singlespeed easily.

but the whyte 19 does look nice in either guise.

ampthill

That Vodoo looks good

but Halfords only seems to go up to 19. the 21 has a 72 head angle I'm not sure I'd cope with that

StuF

I think Merlin have some Cove HJ builds at around 1400

ampthill

Another good addition to the list Stuf

1,200 and 10% off for cash

so just over a grand for a deore build up and REba forks

its a great shame Merlin don't quote those low build costs on third party frames like they use to. But its their business and I can see why they stopped

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best steel hardtail complete bike’ is closed to new replies.