• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Best Sram-compatible, CX-survivable rear mech?
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Currently on Sram Rival, converted to 1×11 so only need a short cage rear mech in terms of gear accommodation. Snapped 3 mechs and hangers last year, four races in I’ve done one mech and hanger this year. Cage and jockey wheels clog with mud to the point the chain can’t pass through, the chain pulls the rear mech with it up and around the cassette (i.e. not a shifting issue), the hanger snaps but also by then the rear mech is wrecked too (cage bent at the very least).

Have been replacing like for like on the basis it’s the cheapest option.

Would a longer cage version be more durable simply as it would provide more room for mud to pass through so take longer to clog?

Are some of the vastly more expensive Sram rear mechs more durable? The replaceable rear hanger saves the frame from damage, so it would be nice if the rear mech also survived (actually managed to build 1 good mech out of 2 bust ones as different parts had bent or broken but that was fluke as much as anything). Going to shimano not really an option as I have Sram hydro brakes, but even the new 1x specific version of Rival is more than twice the price of the regular Rival (£80 vs £36, and IMHO Sram springs are stiff enough for road/CX to not need a clutch so that element seems overkill).

Anyone had better luck with an alternative? Different model? Long cage? is there a replacement aftermarket cage?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Best Sram-compatible, CX-survivable rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.