Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • best spd platform pedal for a virgin.
  • robhughes
    Free Member

whats the best one to go for gang?cheers. :mrgreen:

z1ppy

dunno if it's the best for a 'virgin', but I like the Time Z freerides have had two sets that I've move around my bikes for the last 4 or so years.
    They just go on forever, and the bearing change is a really simple affair.
    Used to have some Shimano DX (thnk Shimano 424/647) but swapped due to there poor mud handling abilities (the clips fill with mud and won't clear).

The shimano are usually recomended for newbies due the fact you can reduce the clip tension right down – no option for this on the Time as there a constant pressure and have no adjustment.
    Neither pedal is really any good for use without a cleated shoes or being clipped in, no matter what anyone says, as the SPD attachement will always interfere.
    But that aside, as a confidence booster for a newbie they are good, just don't become sucked into thinking that a platform SPD really 'all that' over a std SPD pedal.

mieszko
    Free Member

I'm using Time Z as well. Very good pedals once You get used clipping in and out. I do prefer to use platforms on my mtb as I'm not always feel confident enough to be clipped in all the time on some technical sections so unclip one side but still have reasonable support from the pedal.

Shimano will be good for a beginner as You can adjust the spring tension (as z1ppy wrote). I had some older DX pedals 636 (red ones) and they were getting clogged with mud easily, newer model has the open body of the newer pedals so there should be an improvement. I just prefer the looks and feel of Time Z and during 3 years of owning my Atacs Alium and Z FR never had to touch them once as they just keep on working.

Once You get the shoes and pedal combo go somewhere flat and reasonably soft (as You will probably fall couple of times) and practice clipping in and out. Riding clipped in at low speed and doing turns etc.

You can get some cheap Shimano platforms (not DX model) but Time Z can be had quite cheaply off eBay. I paid £24 for a new pair with cleats.

robhughes
    Free Member

thanks z1ppy/mieszko.thats a great help..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘best spd platform pedal for a virgin.’ is closed to new replies.