Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best solution 142 to 148 new frame?
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

My current bike 142×12 and the wheels which I love are DT EX1501 so that’s 240 CL XD 28h straight pull hubs on 471 rims.

The frame I want to get is boost 148×12.

So please could I have people’s thoughts on the most cost effective solution to this.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m just staying with 142mm rear bikes to avoid this kind of headache.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, bike industry!

honourablegeorge

I think you’re out of luck with centrelock, unfortunately. Lots of converters for 6-bolt like the below, but there’s no easy way to space a centrelock disc.

Boostinator

teethgrinder

Centrelock to 6-bolt converter, then a boostinator-type kit?

honourablegeorge

teethgrinder – Member
    Centrelock to 6-bolt converter, then a boostinator-type kit?

The converter, the disc and the boostinator are all trying to be in the same place on that scenario. Won’t work.

teethgrinder

Maybe not a boostinator for the rotor then, but a spacer under the rotor?

mboy
    Free Member

What frame?

Dare I suggest that steel is erm… “springy”… 🙄

Joking aside, asked Joe @ Starling to send me both 142 and 148 Boost axles with my new Murmur frame (it was designed 142) so I can swap wheels etc. should I want to. The swingarm barely needs any teasing to slide the 148 Boost hub in! I had expected to have to be a little more persuasive, but not at all… Of course I can’t guarantee every frame would be the same.

honourablegeorge

teethgrinder – Member
    Maybe not a boostinator for the rotor then, but a spacer under the rotor?

If you put 6mm spacers behind the rotor, then the centrelock adaptor can’t thread onto the hub.

You’d need some sort of spacer held on by the centrelock adapter with either offset threaded holes, or threaded holes in the centrelock adapter itself which the rotor could then be bolted to – with only 6mm of space to accomodate the centrelock adapter and the spacer.

teethgrinder

Ah…Makes sense.

honourablegeorge

mboy – Member

Joking aside, asked Joe @ Starling to send me both 142 and 148 Boost axles with my new Murmur frame (it was designed 142) so I can swap wheels etc. should I want to. The swingarm barely needs any teasing to slide the 148 Boost hub in! I had expected to have to be a little more persuasive, but not at all… Of course I can’t guarantee every frame would be the same.

I know someone (cough) who fitted a 142 wheel to a 135×12 frame. It went in with surprising ease, although gears and the like were a mess

honourablegeorge

teethgrinder – Member
    Ah…Makes sense.

A rotor with an offset might do it, but there’s not much space for it all

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I guess my cheapest option is to get a new 240 hub for about £250 £90 rebuild and sell my existing hun. To bad the 350s don’t come with a 36t or I would consider getting one of those. Other option is to buy a new rear wheel for £450.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I wish someone would make a centre lock adapter which was 6mm thicker and a lock ring which had 6mm more thread.

weeksy

fr0sty125 – Member
    I guess my cheapest option is to get a new 240 hub for about £250 £90 rebuild and sell my existing hun. To bad the 350s don’t come with a 36t or I would consider getting one of those. Other option is to buy a new rear wheel for £450.

A £340 rear wheel rebuild is your cheapest option ? Really ? You could buy a new HOPE rear for less?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

The cheapest you can get 240 hubs is about £250, £14 for nipples £28 for spokes, £50 for rebuild.

mjsmke

Just use washers. Depending on the caliper you might get away with 3 or 4mm washers on the disc side. Then 4 or 5mm on the drive side. Ok the chainline won’t be optimal in 1st gear but it will work.

Total cost about £2.

joemmo
    Free Member

To bad the 350s don’t come with a 36t or I would consider getting one of those

if you mean the 36T ratchet then you can easily fit one to a 350.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Ok that looks like a solution!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

This major step forward in bike technology (Boost, rear 142 to 148mm and front 100 to 110mm) is about making “old” Bike bits obsolete.

Bodge your perfectly good hub to fit? Sounds like a bodge,

I’m sticking with what I’ve got. My perfectly good Ck hubs that I’ve had for 8 years can’t be adapted (without a bodge) but they’ve gone from qr to 20mm then 15, rear went from qr to “fun bolt” then 142mm but now it’s game over for them?

F*** progress. Marketing c####

I’m out.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best solution 142 to 148 new frame?’ is closed to new replies.