Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best smartphone camera?
  • DrJ

I went to a photo exhibition today, where there was a stand by Huawei showing work done with their P10 phone. I have to say that it made my iPhone 6 look a bit feeble. I have been thinking of upgrading, but instead of getting the iPhone N, where N is the model I can afford, I was wondering about switching to Android in order to get the aforementioned Huawei (the lads!) or a Samsung or something. I am hesitating because…

maybe the new Apple cameras are just as good
    switching from Apple to Android may well be a pain in the butt – what IS my Spotify password?
    MrsJ has a Samsung and has no end of trouble with weird bugs appearing

Without starting a holy war, does anyone have any experience or data on the camera thing?

flyingmonkeycorps

The Google Pixel and newer iPhones are meant to be pretty amazing I think? But I’d be wary of comparing shots from Huawei (or any manufacturer) to your own – they’ll doubtless use professional photographers, perfect lighting, pro retouchers etc.

Cougar

Google Pixel 2 is the best in the world currently, with the iPhone X and Huawei Mate 10 Pro a very close second, according to DxOMark.

https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/

colournoise

Do they all still use the same Sony sensors?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No, but Huawei do.

Nice to see the Note 8 quite high up there, as that’s what I have, even though I didn’t buy it for the camera

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

The Missus has just got a Google Pixel 2 very nice phone and camera. I thought mine was good (HTC U11) but hers is very good.

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you really want to see just what a really great camera phone is capable of, put it down on a table and see what happens.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m way behind on, er, developments as still using an iphone 5.

But this 7 plus pano example (coming from a serial DSLR pano-stitcher’s perspective) is impressive imo. Choose download jpeg on lower right to view full size:

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9692509593/apple-iphone-7-review-samples/2065569079

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Does the Huawei image look like this…

kelron
    Free Member

I struggle with smartphone cameras. I have a Galaxy S7 which is meant to be very good, and I’ve seen some stunning shots taken with it, but I do a lot better with my point and shoot Canon. I find it really hard to get the exposure and contrast right on the phone.

fossy

I’ve had a Samsung S3,5,7 and been very impressed with the images from such a small lens on all of them. The iphones are also good – I’ve seen some cracking images from a colleague on his iphone 6, but he is a keen photographer, so knows how to frame stuff when he hasn’t got his SLR with him.

The skill is in the taking. You will get a better picture from any half decent camera as the lens and sensor is bigger.

stumpy01

geetee1972 – Member
    If you really want to see just what a really great camera phone is capable of, put it down on a table and see what happens

What does this mean?

DrJ

Looking at Cougar’s link (thanks) it seems like if I want to stay in Apple-world I need an 8+ or a X. Just can’t get past the idea of stumping up 1000 quid for a telephone!!

sadexpunk

Looking at Cougar’s link (thanks) it seems like if I want to stay in Apple-world I need an 8+ or a X. Just can’t get past the idea of stumping up 1000 quid for a telephone!! phone/camera/satnav/music player/movie player/calendar/dashcam/browser etc etc etc

i agree with you, just playing the usual devils advocate role 🙂

TiRed

I view photography on phones as a different sort of challenge. A bit like riding a cross bike on a red or black run. You can do it, but to be successful you will need to have good skills.

But the best camera is always the one you have with you. My BlackBerry camera is pretty poor. But with careful consideration of lighting and framing, it can still take some good shots.

RDL-82
    Free Member

On the iPhone at least the standard camera app is pretty basic. Buy something like ProCamera and you open up a whole host of control.

I’d love a decent stand alone but I know I’d not carry it so the phone suffices for me.

iPhone 8/8+ is much better than 6/6s we had previously especially in lower light situations.
    I think my old Samsung S6 edge was better at movement though but that melted itself so kind of lost faith in that!

kbomb
    Free Member

Recently got a Samsung s8 and have been very impressed. Came from Sony phones which were capable of taking very good shots, but mostly in good lighting conditions and holding them perfectly still. I’d end up taking lots of shots and usually a couple came out well. The Samsung gets it right nearly every time, and low light photos are unbelievably good.

I think there is a bit of a disconnect between things like DXOMark, and real world photography with a phone. Iphones have always seemed very good at getting shots right first time in challenging conditions, and Samsung seem to be there now too.

The Pixel 2 was tempting but I found the s8 a better size and I wasn’t ready to ditch the headphone jack, it clearly takes great pictures though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d avoid the Pixel 2 at the moment. I’ve read reports of constant noise from the speakers, screen burn from the home page image and other associated issues.
    Shame, because it sounds a good phone.

As I’m sure do many other phone’s now, my Note captures RAW images. I just can’t find the bloody things. Any ideas?

RDL-82
    Free Member

I’d avoid the Pixel 2 at the moment. I’ve read reports of constant noise from the speakers, screen burn from the home page image and other associated issues.
    Shame, because it sounds a good phone.

I thought those issues were only affecting the XL version? Sure that’s what I read at least initially.

As I’m sure do many other phone’s now, my Note captures RAW images. I just can’t find the bloody things. Any ideas?

Is it maybe like the iPhone. Capable of RAW capture but not using the native ‘app’?
    Using ProCamera gives me the option but without that it’s just JPEG or HEIF.

Is it maybe like the iPhone. Capable of RAW capture but not using the native ‘app’?
    Using ProCamera gives me the option but without that it’s just JPEG or HEIF

It gives me the option in the basic camera app settings, so dunno

I’ve got Lightroom Mobile, but still can’t seem to find raw images. I’ll do some research

kelron
    Free Member

It might only capture RAW images if you’re using pro mode rather than auto, that’s what my S7 does.

Yeah, gone into Pro mode. Will try again – if not, I’m sure the internet will help me

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best smartphone camera?’ is closed to new replies.