Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best shock ratio/pull for a big person??
  • ton

please..

geetee1972
    Free Member

Huh? What is it you’re asking?

ton

shock ratio, some suit if your big, some do not.

Dan67
    Free Member

I dont think you can change the shock ratio on your bike.

geetee1972
    Free Member

OK thought that is what you were asking. Not sure it makes any difference mate, at least not at our level (you’re not an elite/expert level DH racer are you?) The arguments are typically around whether a low ratio is better than a high ratio and a lot of the latest DH bike designs are building in huge dampers to lower the shaft speed and thus avoid heat build up, which is supposed to deterioratate the damper’s performance.
    I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you – what was on your mind?

ton

i do not want to change my shock, maybye i worded it wrong.
    a mate wants a sus bike, he is a bifter, more bifter than me.
    WHAT BIKE IS SUITABLE FOR A BIFTER THAT WILL WORK.
    SOME DESIGNS WORK FOR BIFTER….SOME DO NOT.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Test rides? I’ve never sat on a bike and thought “i wish it had a longer stroke”

unless we’re talking village bikes, in which case theyr probably more likely to be sat on me :p

jam-bo

1:1

although in practice foes at 2:1 is the best you’ll get.

ton

jambo, thanks mate.

brakes
    Free Member

more bifter than me

serious bifter then

geetee1972
    Free Member

More than 105kg?

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Ton … Jambo is dead right. The lower the ratio the less work the shock has to do.

There will be less heat build up, damping can be made more precise. It’s also easier to control the spring rate on air shocks.

Stuart

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup. Lower the better when you’re big – less stress on the damper, lower shaft speeds and a lower spring rate.

I’m a paltry 140lb and use a bike with a 3:1 ratio on, and at times the coil shock on that has it’s work cut out to keep up (although a custom tune has helped massively). I certainly wouldn’t try an air shock on it.

Foes are the guys who make a big song and dance about their low leverage ratios (they always seem to aim for 2:1), but you’ll pay for the priviledge, but Orange also seem to be using longer shocks now (the ST4 is 2:1, I think both the Blood and the Alpine 160 are 2.5:1 – the Alpine is the only air shocked full sus I’ve tried and liked)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

spesh epic’s used to be 1:1?

Think so anyway, they were made in the same factory and had the same silouet at the carrera/merrida LRS bikes.

Dont think theres anything left on the market with a bigger ratio than 3:1? Cannondale prophets are very close to that, and they don’t have a bad reputation.

benjag
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure that the Hemlock is 2:1 (trying to remember back a few months)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best shock ratio/pull for a big person??’ is closed to new replies.