Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best shed material for keeping bikes in.
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m moving house soon and will need to purchase a shed to keep the bikes and tools in. There seem to be a variety of material options from the usual wood to metal and even plastic. Metal sheds seem a bit cheaper than their wooden counterparts but I’ve been told that they can ‘sweat’ somewhat and get damp. As I’ve got steel bikes I’d like to keep things dry and was wondering whether people had had any experience of metal or plastic sheds.

Tiboy

IMO bite the bullet and do the job properly, build a proper shed! that being blocks and mortar, much more effective at keeping the thieving scum out. however if that’s not an option, metal sheds can form condensation on the underside of the roof, which will drip, but you can get roof sheets with a felt backing to keep the moisture on the sheet and allow it to run down to the gutter.

z1ppy

my m8’s bought one that is preformed concrete slabs, that fit together then are bolted to secure them, with plastic coated tin roof – seems about the most secure to me.
    Obviously it wasn’t cheap (the firm built it too) but he wanted security…

I think you’ll need vents to regulate condensation, no matter what matertial it is?

and remember this is the best time to get you security in place, so a decent pad of concrete for it to sit on, and fit metal hoops into it as it dries, so they’re well secured & can’t be levered out.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

if you have the room a 20 foot shipping container would be ideal, and you can get them a lot cheaper than its listed on ebay

Gravy
    Free Member

I agree with zippy on this one cos that’s exactly what I have, concrete segments that they build garages with forming a decent size rectangle with NO windows, the roof is double skinned with 50mm of polystyrene (sp)in between two roofs as it were. This helps to elimenate condensation, I also lined the inside of it with plywood by fixing 50×50 timbers to the bolts that hold the concrete panels together (leave these 50mm off the floor) I then infilled between timbers with 50mm polystyrene and covered with plywood. It takes a bit of time but it will be well worth it imo, I have a secure workshop that seems to be cool in the summer and warm in the winter, it’s also a great place to use the turbo trainer until the better weather comes. Let me know if you want pictures.

Gravy
    Free Member

I agree with zippy on this one cos that’s exactly what I have, concrete segments that they build garages with forming a decent size rectangle with NO windows, the roof is double skinned with 50mm of polystyrene (sp)in between two roofs as it were. This helps to elimenate condensation, I also lined the inside of it with plywood by fixing 50×50 timbers to the bolts that hold the concrete panels together (leave these 50mm off the floor) I then infilled between timbers with 50mm polystyrene and covered with plywood. It takes a bit of time but it will be well worth it imo, I have a secure workshop that seems to be cool in the summer and warm in the winter, it’s also a great place to use the turbo trainer until the better weather comes. Let me know if you want pictures.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best shed material for keeping bikes in.’ is closed to new replies.