Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best security lock for motorbike
  • TheFlyingOx

We have a lovely brand spanking new GSXR750 arriving next week, and whilst it’ll be as secure as we can make it at home (garage door defender, garage alarm, ground anchor, immobiliser and Datatag) it’s obviously going to see some use out in the wider world. What’s the best thing we could buy to keep it that bit safer when parked up in town? Obviously, we’re aware that the worst kind of bike thief will just rock up in a Transit and lift it into the back, but other than that…?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Heaviest good quality chain you can buy so that you can chain it to something else, but more importantly leave it somewhere busy.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Alarmed disk lock – portable and noisy – but not the Aldi ones, I’ve had two just fall apart. Oxford do a decent one IIRC

fasthaggis

garage door defender, garage alarm, ground anchor, immobiliser and Datatag

Jeez,are wee Fife villages super high risk now?

TheFlyingOx

Jeez,are wee Fife villages super high risk now?

You never know. There’s the odd spate of break-ins every now and again. Plus we’re only 20 minutes from that Dundee.

pirahna
    Free Member

The best chains are Almax, I’d recommend buying a lock from them as well. How you carry it around is up to you.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

firestarter
    Free Member

Second the almax and get the squire lock to go with it great kit weighs a ton

TheFlyingOx

Almax it is. Looks a fair bit beefier than the Oxford thingy we’ve got through the wheels of the RF900.

Cheers folks.

br
    Free Member

You’ll only ride off with a disc lock…, something decent thru the back wheel and arm would be best

mogrim

You’ll only ride off with a disc lock…, something decent thru the back wheel and arm would be best

You can ride off with a chain through the back wheel, too. 😳

Whatever chain you do get, mattsccm got it right: chain the bike to something solid, and leave it somewhere busy.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

+1 Almax

Cougar

The disc locks are pretty crap AFAIK. The old Oxford Titan you could open with a Biro, and the new one has a tendency to lock itself permanently without warning.

I’m not aware of a good one, though would like to know if anyone does have any recommendations as my OH is getting a scooter next week.

bensales
    Free Member

+1 for Almax.

That said, I never secured my bikes with anything more than an Oxford disc lock. I’m pretty much of the attitude that if someone wants it enough, they’ll have it, so a disc lock is enough to stop an opportunist wheeling it off. As you say, a dedicated thief will have it in a transit with a mattress muffling the alarm in under 30 seconds no matter what lock is on it.

And good choice on the GSXR. I loved mine. Had a 750 SRAD and K1 and K8 Thous.

womp
    Free Member

Almax here also, it’s fended off one attack so far, They cut through my motrax lock and took my HT though

allthegear
    Free Member

Buy a BMW. They’re so heavy, if you chain it to a lamppost, you make it harder for someone to steal the lamppost.

Rachel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best security lock for motorbike’ is closed to new replies.