Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best Scottish MTB locaton by train?
  • swan0mighty
    Free Member

There is a voucher in todays sun to travel by train anywhere in scotland for £9.50 single anyone got any ideas how best to use this?

i dont think any of the 7stanes is near a train station which is leaving me out of ideas

thanks for any replys

StirlingCrispin

Achneshellach. Gateway to the Torridon hills.

kennyp
    Free Member

There’s some great riding that could link stations like Aviemore, Blair Atholl, Spean Bridge, Corrour, Fort Bill, Bridge f Orchy and a few others.

If it is all to be from one station, then probably Aviemore is your best bet.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Sanquhar and take a ride in the lowther hills and drumlanrig.

TP
    Free Member

Pitlochry, Dunkeld or Fort William.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Achneshellach. Gateway to the Torridon hills.

Shhhh, it’s rubbish up there. 😉

Aviemore, Dunkeld, or if you wan’t some real wilderness Corrour.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

or if you wan’t some real wilderness Corrour.

Can you ride in from there all the way to the Loch Ossian youth hostel?

poly
    Free Member

Can you ride in from there all the way to the Loch Ossian youth hostel?

Yes, you can ride down from Roy Bridge to the Ossian Hostel (which is just a few minutes from Corrour station and a world away from anywhere else!). You can also ride the other way.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve seen pictures of the hostel, it’s on my must visit list for this year. Thanks.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Corrour, stay at Ossian YH for the night and then over to Dalwhinnie station via Ben Alder, train home. Or Dalwhinnie station, ride over to Ossian YH and then back the next day.

bren2709

Golspie

backinireland
    Free Member

stranraer, then hop on the ferry to Ireland.
    Not for a couple of months tho but we have some great trail centres opening!!!!!!

Trekster

glupton1976 – Member

Sanquhar and take a ride in the lowther hills and drumlanrig.
    This
    Arm yourself with OS78 and navigate your way down to Dumfries for a train home 😆

i dont think any of the 7stanes is near a train station which is leaving me out of ideas

Mabie is only a 5mile easy ride from the station.
    Ae is about 9miles and again a reasonably easy ride out.
    Enough people from D&G on here to meeet up with and give you a lift out, maybe even over to Kirry or Dalbeattie 💡 😆

Train to Dumfries and ride over to Dalbeattie and stay here;
    http://www.gorsebank.com/gorsebank_equestrian/Gorsebank_-_Camping_Cabins.html

Just to Mabie?
    http://www.mabiehousehotel.co.uk/pod-continental-camping-huts-c23.html

or google marthrown of mabie(not opening atm)

br
    Free Member

Train to Fort William.

Ride the WHW to Glasgow.

Catch train home.

gordimhor

Further to Treksters post It’s only about 10 or 12 mile from Barrhill station to Newton Stewart for Glen Trool and Kirry

swan0mighty
    Free Member

thanks for all the replys will need to look into them

mabie is going on the list for some time but its cheaper without the voucher as its not too far from me

forgot to say im looking for somewhere that i wont need to use a map

Northwind

Will the ticket last til the lifts open? If so, Fort William- it’s a brilliant train journey, Nevis Range is within a sensible ride of the station, the riding is excellent- both at Nevis and around the town.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

ticket is valid until 30th of april

poly
    Free Member

ticket is valid until 30th of april

That would rule out a lot of the suggestions on that list. Some of them might have fairly obvious trails (so you can follow a guidebook etc) BUT most of them would be reckless to attempt in later winter / spring without a map and compass and the knowledge to use it.

Golspie is signposted but is a very long train journey from most places.
    You could ride most of the WHW without stopping to check map too often – but I’d want one as a backup.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Train to fort William and ride back, lovely train journey too.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

golspie is around 6 hours each way on the train so a bit far.

just looked into WHW and will be saving that until summer when the days are longer

thanks all the suggestions so far

epicyclo

You can take a train to just about any destination in the highlands (the wester and norther, the better) and have a huge range of interesting tracks.

Scotland has an open access policy, so you can head along any interesting track without any real restrictions.

Basically observe good manners, ie don’t go close to someone’s house, keep out of crops, avoid lambing fields, and don’t shoot back at the toffs in tame deer and fat overfed dumb bird slaughtering season.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

giving this a bump for any last minute ideas as i need to book train tickets by tonight

br
    Free Member

if you’re unable to use a map, don’t come to Scotland and get lost – go somewhere else

swan0mighty
    Free Member

there must be some places im not going to get lost?

trail_rat
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Corrour, close to Blackwater dam etc

jimmy

Bridge of Allan, ride Dumyat, fish’n’chips, train back. Nothing epic, but a great summer’s evening ride from Edinburgh.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

dumyat is only the list for another weekend but its only £15 return so not worth using the cheap ticket

just checking out the other places

swan0mighty
    Free Member

arrive in Aviemore at 10am and leave at 7.30pm on the sat 20th of april, will worry about the rest closer to the time

banginon

Carbisdale and the Sutherland trails have a train station right in the middle of them.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Best Scottish MTB locaton by train?’ is closed to new replies.