Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Best sat nav under £ 100?
  • knarlyoldgit
    Free Member

Hi, changing car and need to buy a sat nav PDQ. What’s the one to go for?

bruneep

Got a smartphone? Use that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tom tom xl europe can be had for 89.99 right now. pisses on garmin and navmans offers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    knarlyoldgit
    Free Member

What happens when you lose signal and also will costs be mega abroad?

bruneep

Lose gps? 😕

Then your Tom Tom winna work either

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tom Tom. I’ve had a Garmin for years but I think the TomToms are now better. There are usually deals around.

Cougar

CoPilot doesn’t use the phone network (other than to assist an initial GPS lock, which should turn off automatically when you’re roaming). The maps are offline just like your Tomtom.

curvature
    Free Member

I have a Garmin that is 2 years old with Europe and lifetime upgrade disc that you can have for £50 posted.

I haven’t used it for a year as my work is now local and anytime I travel further afield I use my iPhone.

CountZero

Got smartphone? Get CoPilot Live for UK and Ireland for £19.95. Get updates for free.

scaredypants
    matthewjb
    Free Member

knarlyoldgit – Member
    What happens when you lose signal and also will costs be mega abroad?

CoPilot works in mainland Europe with data roaming turned off.

jon1973
    Free Member

Lose gps?

Then your Tom Tom winna work either

Assumed he was talking data connection.

peteimpreza

You don’t need a data connection for most SatNav apps to work. They have the maps in the App and use the phones GPS sensor to work out where you are.

UncleFred
    Free Member

I’m currently using navfree on my iphone, works well, i have data turned off and all maps are stored in the app. You can turn data on to get traffic updates.

App is free and comes with uk maps, other country maps are available for £1.99

I did have a disagreement with it today when it tried to send me through the centre of birmingham to get to Harborne but other than that it works fine.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Waze on Smartphone has been pretty good for me.
    http://world.waze.com
    Free too.

MrNutt
    Free Member

navigon on the iPhone

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Copilot here. Great stuff.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Do any of you chaps use a galaxy s3 for this purpose and, if so, can you recommend a windscreen mount? I would like to but can’t find a decent solution to that element…

freddyg
    Free Member

Navfree +1 here
    All maps including Europe are free on Android

trail_rat
    Free Member

How ever using your phone is a pain in hoop when you recieve a call on hands free. – bye bye navigation *

* may not apply if you have no friends 😉

scaredypants

can you recommend a windscreen mount?

TBH I can’t recommend a windscreen mount – better to mount low & see what’s in front of you

As long as you’re not fussy about the classic looks of your phone, something like a tetrax magnetic mount would let you hang it from a magnet stuck onto the dashboard or clipped onto a vent. You do need a small (less than 5p piece) “blemish” stuck on the back of the phone, hence comment about looks

How ever using your phone is a pain in hoop when you recieve a call on hands free. – bye bye navigation *

* may not apply if you have no friendsYeh, when I’m driving somewhere unknown to me and needing to follow a satnav I often like to chat with my friends on the job, too 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

ok – i missed the part where you all turn them on to flight mode to avoid them going to the call screen at the point when your negotiating that cruicial junction and are left with no idea where your going 😉

Last time i experianced this – it was my mate calling to ask why i was late” because you keep phoning me you bam i cant see the effin sat nav”

theflatboy
    Free Member

After this thread (as we’re in need of a new satnav), I popped Co Pilot on the phone last night and it does look excellent.

I will investigate the mounts – don’t mind having something attached to the phone (though strong magnet right next to battery / screen?), but not sure about having anything stuck to the dashboard, hence thinking sucker glass mount would be preferable.

retro83
    Free Member

fingerbike – Member

Free too.
    Posted 12 hours ago # Report-Post

This is one app you definitely don’t want to use abroad! Take a look at how much data it uses..!

SkillWill
    Free Member

Google Navigation is an excellent free satnav on an android smartphone.

Live traffic, voice directions etc. All you could want and for free.

jon1973
    Free Member

The Google one is great, but there is the data issue, especially if you want to use it abroad.

theflatboy
    Free Member

No speed cameras from Google, either.

Cougar

can you recommend a windscreen mount?

Brodit do the best after-market mounts. brodit.se IIRC.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ta, will have a look.

K

Sygic on your smart phone. Free map updates, speed cameras etc. No data usage and not too expensive. Worked well in spain.

gariston
    Free Member

Mio Spirit 485 is the best cheap one u can get! http://www.digitalversus.com/sat-navs/buyer-s-guide-best-sat-navs-a295.html
    Fro now..

CountZero

Do any of you chaps use a galaxy s3 for this purpose and, if so, can you recommend a windscreen mount? I would like to but can’t find a decent solution to that element…

I will investigate the mounts – don’t mind having something attached to the phone (though strong magnet right next to battery / screen?), but not sure about having anything stuck to the dashboard, hence thinking sucker glass mount would be preferable.

The one I use is the Arkon Mega Mount. You can get it with dash, vent and screen mount. It’s really rigid, unless you get the flexible mount, and is quite compact, mine sits really low down on the screen, with just enough room below the phone base for the dock cablw, which plugs into the front of my Kenwood DAB. The jaws will move apart enough to take the bigger Galaxy phones, allegedly, mine has my old iPhone 4 in it usually, because i use that as my dedicated iPod/satnav unit.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Brodit do the best after-market mounts. brodit.se IIRC.

Agreed. I don’t think they do a windscreen mount though.

Cougar

No, I know, but a) you don’t need a windscreen mount and b) it means there’s less chance some scrote will put a brick through your window to try and steal your satnav.

fingerbike
    Free Member

fingerbike – Member

Free too.
    Posted 12 hours ago # Report-Post

This is one app you definitely don’t want to use abroad! Take a look at how much data it uses..!

True, found it great for avoiding traffic on the daily commute to work though..

theflatboy
    Free Member

ok, i’m tempted by that magnetic mount option, then. can someone soothe my concerns about sticking a beast of a magnet next to the battery / screen?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Best sat nav under £ 100?’ is closed to new replies.