Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best route through Loch Ard forest (Drymen, Aberfoyle, West Highland Way)
  • u02sgb
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’m planning on cycling up NCN7 from Drymen into Loch Ard forest and through round the back of Ben Lomond to the West Highland Way.

Anyone any idea of the most direct route through Loch Ard forest?

I’ve been through before but haven’t got a record of the route and remember the paths being very up and down with very variable surface, so wondered what the best track was. We went up and round Loch Ard I think last time too which is a bit out of the way (unless the tracks are faster).

GPX or online link to a route would be much appreciated.

Ta,
    Stu.

richmtb

I did a loop a couple of year back back starting at Loch Ard and heading over to the WHW followed by heading up to Inversnaid, then back along the road to Loch Ard, it was a nice sunny day ride with the wife.

Strava Route

Any use?

There is only one trail (well fire road really) over to the Loch Lomond and the WHW it goes past a small settlement (two houses) called Comer. But there are lots of ways to reach this single trail from Aberfoyle depending on which side of Loch Ard you want to go.

richmtb

I did a loop a couple of year back back starting at Loch Ard and heading over to the WHW followed by heading up to Inversnaid, then back along the road to Loch Ard, it was a nice sunny day ride with the wife.

Strava Route

Any use?

There is only one trail (well fire road really) over to the Loch Lomond and the WHW it goes past a small settlement (two houses) called Comer. But there are lots of ways to reach this single trail from Aberfoyle depending on which side of Loch Ard you want to go.

Steve_B

Stu

Assuming you are following NCN7 to Aberfoyle

As you reach Kirkton just before Aberfoyle take the track W passing S side of Lochan Spling. Continue on S side of Duchray Water going under power line at aquaducts (ignore aqueduct route) and keep following track past Blairvach. Turn R over bridge – signposted Inversnaid and head along main track (ignore new tracks to pylons). At T junction turm Left on N side of Duchray water to Stronmachair (ignore Inversnaid sign to R) This links with route shown by Rich MTB towards Comar which becomes one big climb and fast descent over to WHW. Good Luck.

All very easy until climb up to and then beyond Stronmachair.

Did this last weekend as an a/c circuit from Aberfoyle going along shore of L Ard then above Kinlochard towards L Chon and returning above route. Very scenic as an alternative way to Stronmachair but more up and down.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks Gents. I’ve done the Comer track before it’s just the route through Loch Ard that I need to figure out.

Will look at the map tonight with those directions.

Cheers,
    Stu.

Steve_B

Wasnt able to expand on this earlier – No doubt you can see it on the map but you can shorten the route through the forest and cut out the Aberfoyle leg by taking the track almost west at the multi track junction after Clashmore at 495 983 and marvel that this used to be a downhill section in the early SXC races (apparently). Turn left before Duchray cottage and you are on the Blairvach track described above. Saves about 4k but maybe easier to get the wrong turning.

Don’t think I have been on that bit in 15years tho. The route/s west of that are more up and down – includes a route with hike a bike across Moin Eich to the shoulder of Ben Lomond

scotroutes

Turn off NCN at Drymen Road Cottage
    Carry on straight over at junction 485969
    Right at 481972
    Left at 487983
    Follow the aqueduct until a left at 453004
    That will take you through to Stronmacnair (424024)

From there you can head to Comer and Cailness or carry on past Loch Chon and onto the new walk/cycle path that runs almost parallel to the road until the junction to Stronlachlar (divert for ice cream?) and then down to Inversnaid.

This might work GPX file This was ridden before the new path to Stronlachlar/Inversnaid was built

u02sgb
    Free Member

Aaah, had plotted a route using Strava Heatmap and the previous advice before the last two posts. I’m turning off earlier, left at 486964 and skirting round West to come back towards the path you’re talking about around 455990.

GPX here

Are there dragons lurking around this path? 🙂

I’ll replot if you gents think it’s worth it but this GPX is already on my phone and Garmin. I think it’s maybe a bit longer?

Steve_B

Doubt it – its all forest tracks – some with better views than others – as long you can get all the junctions sorted. It might even be signposted that way. I just remembered here was a big new signpost to Old Drymen Road at 455990 pointing back that way.

I think what I recall from previously was on the west again track

u02sgb
    Free Member

Thanks, elevation profile suggests I’ve got an up and over by going that far west but I’m not too bothered. Strava heatmap suggest lots of people have gone that way (presumably as it’s a bit simpler than the multiple junctions going through the middle).

Anyway, thanks and will report back.

Stu.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Incidentally Steve_B, as a “pay it back” – I recently cut through the Minigaig and did the off-piste that I think you were asking about a year or two ago (from post history).

Recommended. There was a bit of peat hag pushing to start with but I rode more than half of it, including up to the Trig point. Dr Jon put something up on his Blog about it so i can’t take the credit!

Strava here

Steve_B

I think you were asking about a year or two ago

6 years ago 😯

Ended up doing this instead as there was a better forecast and have never been back to either!

u02sgb
    Free Member

Hey, you lose track of time at our age :).

Done the Glen Bogle route, been a while though. Would recommend the Minigaig diversion (more as a diversion to the main route if you’re going into Glen Feshie, which is too hike-a-bike). Descent from the trig point is good fun, bit of a push back up the other side though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best route through Loch Ard forest (Drymen, Aberfoyle, West Highland Way)’ is closed to new replies.