Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Best rotors for Shimano hydraulics?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

160mm

Shimano presumably?

But which ones (6-bolt ideally)?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I use the standard one-piece SLX discs, they’re good and don’t cost a fortune.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The Deore level discs are not supposed to be used with sintered pads so that might rule them out . SLX is a good call but there higher level that may save a few Grammes but IME SLX brakes and rotors are good enough for virtually anything .

olly2097
    Free Member

RT66. nice and cheap. effective.

onewheelgood

I use these

lustyd
    Free Member

Rt99. Why did you get 6 bolt?! I have the XTR and XT rotors and there is noticeably less fade on the RT99s and I can believe that a size smaller is fine (what the marketing says). My new build is getting centrelock hubs for no other reason than to get these rotors.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Probably he has 6 bolt wheels .

lustyd
    Free Member

That was the question Neil. If you choose 6 bolt wheels it takes ages to change rotors and you can’t buy the good ones. Sad Panda.

robowns
    Free Member

Cause everyone changes rotors on the reg.

teethgrinder

lustyd – Member
    If you choose 6 bolt wheels it takes ages to change rotors and you can’t buy the good ones. Sad Panda.

That’s almost a #jambafact. Apart from when they get changed (or contaminated with oil) my rotors never come off, so the 30 seconds it takes to remove with the cordless drill and Torx bit isn’t even on the radar for things taking ages.

tillydog
    Free Member

Bear in mind that there are wide and narrow track Shimano disc calipers.

matts
    Free Member

What’s the usage?

I run the RT86 rotors on my cross/commuter bike.

I have previously run Hope lightweight saw rotors which lasted about 6 months. Then I had some A2Z Teppan Yaki, which lasted a smidge longer. Then I decided light rotors were a waste of time for my usage and just went with some Shimano ones.

I’m 75Kg and using them for daily road and offroad commuting.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Usage is on a road/gravel bike

coatesy
    Free Member

I liked RT75s, and when they were discontinued, switched to ones which looked near identical from Hopes custom range, nothing fancy, just a concentric braking surface that covers the entire pad depth, very rarely squeal(even on original Minis) and they wear well too. Unfortunately, I didn’t take note of any part no’s, so can’t tell you what they were.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

thanks

wordnumb
    Free Member

Tillydog sed> Bear in mind that there are wide and narrow track Shimano disc calipers.

I did not know this. Different versions of the same caliper or different caliper models have different track widths?

nickc

have previously run Hope lightweight saw rotors which lasted about 6 months

seriously? mine are about 4 years old now…

richardthird

£4 HS1/copies off eBay on most our fleet. Not many have died yet!

tillydog
    Free Member

Different versions of the same caliper or different caliper models have different track widths?

New Deore / SLX / XT = narrow track

Old Deore and below = wide track

Road discs = ??

dirtydog
    Free Member

New Deore / SLX / XT = narrow track

Old Deore and below = wide track

Road discs = ??

I’ll just add the new “narrow track” calipers are not really suitable for the likes of ashima airotor/kcnc razor type rotors (like that one up there^). There’s barely any contact with the vey inner track and the pad which causes uneven pad and disk wear, and as demonstrated in another thread, disc failure!

matts
    Free Member

seriously? mine are about 4 years old now…

Yes. I had the Lightweight X2 floating saws, used Shimano metallic pads, and used them for daily commuting and some weekend gravel/cross rides.

spacehopper

anymore opinions on hope floating rotors with shimano xt brakes?

I’m in the market for some new rotors as well.. My avids G2’s (that I really like..) are getting close to needing to be replaced..

tillyfishes
    Free Member

Well, if the revolution of hydrochloric disc breaks takes of as discussed on this forum, i would suggest alkaline pads….

On a more serious note, I always by the genuine shimano replacements – expensive, yet they last a long time ( plus the anodised cooling fins look good!!)

wordnumb
    Free Member

Cheers Tillydog, another reason to stay all retro!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Best rotors for Shimano hydraulics?’ is closed to new replies.