Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best rodie shoes / pedals for beginner
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Right so, story goes like this………

I am a mountain biker through and through ( or at least thought I was )

Until last week after a chat with a persuasive salesman in my lbs!

I left with my first road bike – a £1200 Specialized Roubaix.

I must admit it doesn’t feel as ‘alien’ as I thought and the speed you can get with minimum effort is insane.

Anyway, currently riding it with mtb kit and think that clipless pedals and shoes my be my next purchase.

So what ones to go for?

I have dodgy knees, so need something with float.

I was thinking about Look Keo, ltd edition ones with spring adjustment……..

Any opinions and recommendations appreciated,

Thanks,

Alan.

Haze

Time I-Clic’s are pretty easy going, the cleats are a bit crap (in that they wear out pretty quickly).

I’ve just ordered Look Keo’s to replace them so may well stick them on the classifieds in a week or so if you’re interested?

Will need new cleats though…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you already have some MTB clipless just use them to start.

Bregante

What Mike said. I’m using these on my Cannondale Caad8

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Run flatties on my mtb’s.

All new to me.

Bregante

I’d probably be looking at double sided pedals in that case. Speedplay zero’s appear to be very popular. Not cheap though.

montylikesbeer

Shimano 105 are minters.

I have then on my winter ribble and work a treat.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I got some nice Lake shoes with the BOC lace system very comfy and stiff I use with Shimano road pedals would like some speedplay ones though.

stratobiker
    Free Member

For Shoes – Specialized are as good as any.

Pedals – I think most of them have some degree of float now. I’d say go for shimano. But only because the Dura Ace pedals I bought in 1999 are still going strong, and are still silky smooth.

SB

zerocool

Look Keo’s are good pedals, been rubbing the same pair since I started clipping in to my road bike. Use the grey cleats for some float but nott o much

DT78
    Free Member

I started road biking this summer – first of all used mtb shoes and shimano spds, then upgrade to some giro factors (cheap on CRC at the time) and carbon look keos (cheap on merlin at the time).

Shoes are brilliant, so much stiffer, less heel lift than my shimano mtbs. Only issues I’ve had is if the cleats aren’t proper tight they can cause awful creaking, they seem to come a bit loose every 400 miles or so. Probably need to use locktite on the bolts.

heuer27
    Free Member

Been there recently. Also bad knees. Got some dhb shoes from wiggle at about 40 pounds. They get a great write up and are very comfy and stiff. Don’t mess about if you have dodgy knees get speed play pedals. They have loads of adjustment and the float is free not sprung. This might feel unusual at first but after a short time they really do make a difference. I have a leg length discrepancy and foot angle discrepancy (motorcycle accident) so I’m really sensitive to pedal/ shoe issues but these have been great so far.

globalti
    Free Member

Look Keo pedals and a pair of entry-level road shoes will weigh almost half of a road/touring SPD shoe and SPD pedals. However road cleats aren’t as easy to enter as SPDs and the shoes are not designed for walking in so even the few yards to the cafe are hazardous. Keos can be set up at any angle and give plenty of float if you get grey or red cleats.

For pure road use when you can expect to be clipped in for an hour at a time, you can’t beat a proper road shoe for giving you a good firm base, especially when you’re out of the saddle. For anything involving walking, including catching trains with your bike, they are a bit of a nightmare.

Jamie
    Free Member

Road, and clipless, newbie last year. Went for Shimano 105s + DHB R1 Shoes, and after 6000 miles I am happy with my choice.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Shimano based on reliability.

MSP

I have dodgy knees, so need something with float

No you just need to set up your cleats properly, moving the foot and the knee through the pedal action increases the strain on the knee and its surrounding ligaments.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best rodie shoes / pedals for beginner’ is closed to new replies.