Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 204 total)
  • best rock band…. ever?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Kinks started it with You Really Got Me

Oh really.

Junkyard
    Free Member

and we all know who played lead guitar on that dont we folks

If you dont it was Page of Zep fame

seadragon
    Free Member

Sisters of Mercy

have you seen them lately? as in since 1985? one word – karaoke
    [/quote]

Seen them 3 times since 95. Saw them last about 5 years ago, Shepherds Bush I think. We were on the top level and there was so much smoke from the machine all we could see of the stage was some flashing lights, sort of like driving through awful fog and barely being able to see lights from an oncoming car.

Previous to that saw Sisters about 96/97 at Brixton Academy. That was ok but they played the songs at high speed and my ear drums almost burst lol.

Their best gig for me was about 2000 at 1st Avenue, in Minneapolis, MN USA). There was only a few hundred people. I was sat at a table drinking beer and Andrew E was singing on stage about 20ft from me, so it was like having my own private gig. AMAZING.

+1 for Sonic Youth, awesome. I had some album (or knock-off) of theirs called Sonic Death, weird and trippy but you need to be a real fan to get anything out of it 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Also, Foo Fighters died for me the day I saw them get blown away by Queens of the Stoneage live in Hyde Park, not even that big a Queens fan but they were amazing and I could have happily left in the middle of the Foos. “

And you where surprised ??

QOTSA only allow Grohl to be their guest drummer…. Fair play mind he can thump a tub and looking forward to the new Queen’s album with grohl back on board.

We all like the FF but a lot of their stuff could be used on a Gillette advert …. “The best a man can get” … type thing.

GaryLake
    Free Member

And you where surprised ??

To be fair, QOTSA are no way near as good on album as they turned out to be live, so yes I was!

psling
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

Nah, urban myth; Ray Davies played the rock riff.

RustySpanner

Thought it was Dave who played the riff on that? 😀

Laughing WITH everyone on this thread Junky.
    Great to hear so many different opinions.
    Always end up trying bands others have recommended on these threads too.

Keep it up everyone.

psling
    Free Member

I stand corrected, it was indeed Dave. Apparently he sliced the cone of his speaker with a razor blade to achieve the sound.

Junkyard
    Free Member

psling – Member
    Junkyard – Member

Nah, urban myth; Ray Davies played the rock riff.

Cheers for the info. I also checked wiki re this 😉

psling
    Free Member

Yeah, I checked too, that’s where I got the ‘sliced with razor’ bit 😉

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Zodiac Mindwarp and the love reaction…..YouTube them… 😆
    Deftones. Incubus. From the 80 s and 90s , Magnum. Faith no more. Metallica. GnR.

passtherizla
    Free Member

please don’t include me in those who like Foo Fighters… awful dross.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Pearl Jam

yetitony
    Free Member

I agree with monkey boy – Pearl Jam for all time greats!

More recently, The Band Of Skulls has not been out of my CD player. Rival Sons can be recently added as well.
    Worth a check!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Black Sabbath, possibly the most influential band ever?

DezB
    Free Member

Pearl Jam weren’t even the best rock band in Seattle!

supersaiyan
    Free Member

mon the biff!

failedengineer

Surely john Mayall ‘started’ it by employing eric Clapton, Peter Green,Jack Bruce et al?

Cream must be near the top

What about Rory Gallagher? No-one comes closed these days, IMHO.

Jimi Hendrix?

Humble Pie?

Rolling Stones?

When i listen to some of the newer bands (foo Fighters RH Chilli Peppers etc etc, they all sound the same …..)

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Best rock:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j8bSr8RnU4[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

they all sound the same …..

Oh dear grandad.

edlong
    Free Member

Did you stop liking Jane’s addiction when they became popular?

How on earth are you defining popular???

I stopped liking janes addiction when they became crap. Ritual was a terrible album

If you think that, then you are strongly advised to avoid listening to their latest album.. Even the diehard fans think it’s crap. You’re very wrong about Ritual by the way,

Couple of mentions for wildhearts earlier. What a great live band

Interesting thought there, might be slightly different lists if the question was “best live rock band” or “best rock band on albums”. I can think of a few bands who blew the roof off live but never quite captured the same thing on vinyl, and a few who were very good in the studio but didn’t quite reach the same heights on stage.

How are we defining rock?

I’m struck by something Keith Richards said (can’t find the quote so I’m paraphrasing from memory) that, unlike when he started and bands were “rock ‘n’ roll”, bands are too hung up on the “rock” and they’ve forgotten “the roll”, and, according to Keith “it’s all about the roll, baby”.

Zodiac Mindwarp and the love reaction

Thread closed, shirley?

Pigface
    Free Member

The High Priest of Love is a brilliant EP all killer no filler 😆

votchy
    Free Member

From my 30 years of gigs I cannot pin it down to one band but those on the list include:

Queen – best frontman ever
    The Who – still the loudest band I’ve seen
    AC/DC – quintessential boogie rock
    Iron Maiden – note perfect rock
    Alice in Chains – unbelievable harmonies
    Big Country – heart on their sleeve rock
    Status Quo – feel good factor rock
    Motorhead – they shouldnt be that good
    Pearl Jam – stadium rock at its finest

Will add more as the memories return 😀

scuzz
    Free Member

Dire Straits

hehehehehe

tazzymtb

You’re very wrong about Ritual by the way,

no I just have different taste to you. 😀

failedengineer

“Oh dear, Grandad”

Maybe, but most of them are still very derivative. After all, how many rock riffs can there be? There is some excellent modern stuff around, but outside the mainstream ‘rock’ genre.

Have you ever heard Rory Gallagher or Steve Marriott? Or Richard Thompson?

CountZero

Have you ever heard Rory Gallagher or Steve Marriott? Or Richard Thompson?

Yes, and seen two of them. Rory was an outstanding blues singer and guitarist, in fact I ripped a load of his stuff into iTunes last night, and Richard Thompson is quite possibly one of the finest guitarists and songwriters this country has ever produced, but he’s predominantly a folk artist, not rock.
    Which doesn’t mean he can’t rock with the best of ’em!

backtothetop
    Free Member

you are all wrong, the obvious answer to this question is red hot chilli peppers

buck53

No such thing. Horses for courses, innit.

The Clash.

vickypea
    Free Member

The Offspring

joepose
    Free Member

Black sabbath all the way?
    True meaning of rock and how many albums to boot?

bikebouy
    Free Member

A whole 6 pages and not one mention of this band, the band that influenced millions of twiddling fingers..

I give you..

Van Halen & “ain’t talkin bout love”

Rock out fellas..

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=SuyvT8nFMLY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSuyvT8nFMLY&gl=GB[/video]

joepose
    Free Member

Van Halen Hmmm best track….. deffo one of them, best front man maybe but u cant say best band? what else they done?

matther01
    Free Member

Blink 182…if you class it as ‘rock’?!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I think it’s who you grew up with, I grew up with Van Halen.

Some good choices here tho’

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBSkq-_St8[/video]

though having a drummer with 4 arms is just plain cheating

Tricone
    Free Member

I can’t believe how few times the Stones have been mentioned. They maybe old men endlessly regurgitating their 40 year plus old hits now but in their prime they setup the whole rock template I reckon. From blues, country and rock and roll they created the classic rock genre we all know. It doesn’t get much more iconic then Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash, Gimmie Shelter……..

Anyway my old Gimmie Shelter album says on the back that ‘you are holding an album by the greatest rock band in the world’ so it must be right.

joepose
    Free Member

Grew up with Van Halen too and saw them at Monsters of Rock – prob the best performance ive ever seen but still cant make em the best rock band ever can it…..
    Peeps write Sabbath off as a joke band but i bet they only know 1 track i.e. paranoid – prob their worst track!

joepose
    Free Member

And if were talkin Americanised rock Blink 182? Surely Green Day are a better band by far or even system of a down for somethin a little alternative?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nooo not MoR at Donnington? When was it?? 89 or earlier, when AC/DC headlined?? Can it,

I was there too..

Dear God, that was years ago… 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 204 total)

The topic ‘best rock band…. ever?’ is closed to new replies.