Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • best road wheelset for 1k?
  • titusrider
    Free Member

want 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Good weight too. No brainer IMO!

plus-one

I paid £36 to parcelforce .. Not quite import tax as such the label said handling/presenting to customs etc. ??

I knew about the charge(from my mate who got a set )

£430 wheels delivered(come with blue pads/nice Ti skewers)

£36 parcelforce fee on collection..

I’m blown away with quality/service 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

That’ looks like good value. Dud you consider their sprints instead?

cheers_drive

Plus_one – they do look nice.
    I was set on some Miche hubs on Archetypes rims but they are a bit lardy.
    What do they ride like?
    Any idea what the rider weight limit?

plus-one

Never used tubs just don’t fancy them … Nice to change tyres with minimum fuss..

Not sure on rider weight limit just send them an email they got back to me pretty quick
    With all my queries on 11 speed hub compatibility and shipping time etc.. I got sent pics of my wheels once
    Built and tracking number..

It’s my first set of full carbon wheels so only comparing to dura ace cl/ rs 80’s and few
    Sets of handbuilts.. I’ll try to avoid the cliches of “added zip” roll really well etc..

They are quiet and quick is my review 🙂

J273
    Free Member

Do you have a link to the ones you bought Plus one?

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

It’s these, unless I’m much mistaken.

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have a pair on order from farsports, Kyle has been great so far, looking forward to getting my hands on them, should be here next week, will post pics and reviews soon after.

plus-one

Yup as njee20 posted ^^

Mine are ud matt finish-bitex hubs.. Black spokes/nipples

🙂

TiRed

Giant P-SLR aero, if you want deep section. Fulcrum are also very nice and a little cheaper and heavier, as are Shimano C50s.

njee20
    Free Member

Double the price and 300g heavier than the Far Sports ones? Where do I sign up 😉

The alu brake surface is a bit of an advantage if you want to use the wheels in crap conditions, but the massive weight penalties just put me off alu/carbon clinchers.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Have you been going for the bitex hubs?

What are they like and are spares ok?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Urgh those wheelsfar er wheels look tempting! Feel like I could justify some deep section wheels….

plus-one

My mate has bitex hubs and has put a lot of miles into them(no issue) I’m running bitex too and spin smooth and freehub has good pick up..

I done some research into bitex and they seem to make hubs for a lot of different company’s who have there own branding put on(if the Internet is to be believed ? )

You can buy spares direct which seems to be the best way

This is rear hub wheelsfar use(bitex) un branded which I like for the stealth look 😉

http://www.bitexhubs.com/htm/products_detail.php?t=507f06a88e8b7&p=4d97f4b8b5f43

The front is A713SB

Now do I upset shimano folks by putting dura ace decals on wheels or wind up the enve boys with enve decals 😉

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Take it the rear is 10 speed only?

njee20
    Free Member

They do 11 speed as well.

plus-one

No it’s an 11 speed hub it ships with spacer to run 9/10 speed

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Spend half as much (or less) on something decent, loose weight and do hill sprint repeats, the difference will far outweigh 500 grams of vulnerable carbon.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

That was my final “ooh but they don’t……”

mashiehood
    Free Member

My wheels from farsports should be here tomo, I went for the 25mm wide U shaped with DT Swiss 240s 11 speed hubs. Came in at £605.

Oh and running them tubeless with Ultremo ZX tyres. I asked for no spoke holes so no need for rims strip.

Cant wait to try them out at the weekend.

njee20
    Free Member

Impressive they can do that!

FuzzyWuzzy

Oh and running them tubeless with Ultremo ZX tyres

Are they tubeless-compatible? With the high pressures involved it’s much more of an issue trying do it ghetto on road wheels. I’d be nervous enough using cheap Chinese carbons but running them tubeless (unless they’re specifically designed for it) is asking for trouble IMO.
    That said if they are tubeless-compatible I might end up ordering some myself…

mashiehood
    Free Member

I did a fair bit of research into the topic of tubeless. The consensus seems to be you cannot use standard tyres but can use rim strips on standard rims. A couple of chaps at work are using the Ultremo ZX tubeless tyres on Zipp 303’s / the chinese rims with spoke holes and rim strip with no issues.

So, I asked Farsports to manufacture the rims with no spoke holes (they do that for special orders) after I read about it on roadbikeforum.

Once installed, I will report back….

zilog6128

AFAIK ZX tubeless are meant to be compatible with any rim. I have them on Kysrium Elites (no spoke holes) and they inflated very easily with just a track pump with a perfect seal (didn’t even need any sealant, although I put some in anyway for punctures), so you should be fine on a similar rim.

finbar
    Free Member

While all the road wheel experts are on one thread, I’m planning a new set of “best” wheels on a more prosaic budget:

H plus Son Archetypes (28/32) laced to Bikehubstore hubs with DT Rev spokes from Rose Versand.

What I can’t decide is whether they’d be worth the extra cost and faff (£300ish vs £220) over a pair of Shimano Ultegra 6700 ones.

Any thoughts?

pryally
    Free Member

I dont use the archetype rim but I use the A23 rims which are the same width as the H plus rims and the extra width improved the comfort no end over the open pro rims. Not sure on the width of the ultegra rims?

finbar
    Free Member

Narrower. 19mm? I am quite curious to try wider rims.

pryally
    Free Member

probably 19mm, thats what the open pros are. Going from 23mm on open pro to 25mm on A23 was a massive improvemnt in ride quality (same bike – CAAD10)

FuzzyWuzzy

Tubeless thing was more about the carbon clincher rim, I know some do it but Zipp for example specifically state not to run their wheels tubeless. Whether that’s just because they can’t be arsed to test & certify them or if they have genuine safety concerns over it is a different matter.

I think I’d always be worried when cornering hard at speed whether the tyre was going to stay on or not unless it had been designed for it. I can’t believe say Shimano’s CL vs TL C24 is just a marketing gimmick, if they felt there was a good enough reason to provide a more expensive but tubeless ready version I’m guessing there’s a valid reason.

mashiehood
    Free Member

How to replace spokes on a rim with no spoke holes here

mashiehood
    Free Member

Wheels arrived in three days from shipping with no customs, so all in cost for 38mm u shaped clinchers with DT240s hubs was 585.
    The wheels went tubeless with no issues, no rim tape needed as the rims have no spoke holes. I use the Ultremo ZX tubeless tyres and they were a bit tight, but eventually went on without levers.

I rode them this morning in windy Surrey hills and they were ok in the side wind, I didn’t get blown about at all, the braking was excellent in the slightly damp conditions after the downpour last night. However, under hard braking they did squeal but that’s not a major issue,

In terms of quality and service, I’m very pleased. Looking forward to riding them in dry and slightly less windy conditions.

plus-one

Tubeless too !!! Excellent 🙂

Another of my riding buddies took the plunge and got 38mm tubular’s .. He loves them and his are silly light …

Mine are continuing to impress me .. I was bit tentative at first being Chinese carbon and hearing the horror stories .. Mine are regularly getting rattled up and down various potholed Scottish roads and are running sweet..

mashiehood
    Free Member

I really cannot fault mine, very pleased.

mashiehood
    Free Member

200 mile review – faultless. A big ride on saturday from kingston to Poole via some back roads and country lanes. Cant fault the wheels, brake really well, handle great in wind and im a convert to road tubeless.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘best road wheelset for 1k?’ is closed to new replies.