Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • best road wheelset for 1k?
  • Janesy
    Free Member

What are my options for the best wheelset for up to 1k?

either a very light pair climbing wheels or some aero.

Please stw help?

titusrider
    Free Member

Renolds assault
    Chris kings or dt Swiss built on h son achetype from strada
    soul wheels
    or strada rail

in my opinion 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm.

Climbing wheels won’t actually make much difference going uphill, and aero wheels get blown about when it’s windy.

I’d spend half that money and buy some that look nice.

titusrider
    Free Member

humm moving from 2000g aksiums + wire bead tyres
    to 1400g hand builts and decent tyres is a pretty much night and day difference when climbing (by feel, no idea if im actually faster)

njee20
    Free Member

940g, plus plenty of change.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

latest Dura Ace C24 running tubeless.

Archetypes are strong but not that light. I run them on the commuter.

rwc03
    Free Member

No recommendation I’m afraid but I’d be interested to know the benefits of deeper section rims vs lighter weight rims. I’ve read some manufacturer data but would be interesting to see some independent data say over a 100km route with a 1000m climb.

titusrider
    Free Member

jesus njee those are cheep 🙂 a feel a new set of these is my next purchase:
    http://www.wheelsfar.com/new-38mm-clincher-wheels1250g-30g-p-295.html

crikey
    Free Member

No recommendation I’m afraid but I’d be interested to know the benefits of deeper section rims vs lighter weight rims. I’ve read some manufacturer data but would be interesting to see some independent data say over a 100km route with a 1000m climb.

There are various sources to help out, but real world testing is a bit difficult. My own opinion is that ‘lightweight wheels’ don’t help in climbing as much as people think, and that deep section wheels don’t help on the flat as much as people think.

I suspect that if you rode 100km with 1000m climb 10 times, then rode it with lightweight wheels or deep sections, the time differences between the different types of wheels would be the same as the difference between the fastest and slowest runs of the first 10.

mcboo
    Free Member

I upgraded from Mavic Ksyrium Elite to Ksyrium SLR earlier this year, got them for £980 at Winstanley Bikes. Wish I’d done it sooner, I’d thought my frame was flexy when I stamped, it wasnt, it was the wheels (and I liked those wheels a lot), best upgrade ever. Look nice and stealthy too and the breaking power is tremendous.

njee20
    Free Member

jesus njee those are cheep a feel a new set of these is my next purchase

Mmm, agreed. Tubs or clinchers though! Tempted by some 1140g 38mm tubs!

zilog6128

I upgraded from Mavic Ksyrium Elite to Ksyrium SLR earlier this year, got them for £980 at Winstanley Bikes. Wish I’d done it sooner, I’d thought my frame was flexy when I stamped, it wasnt, it was the wheels

Interesting, I have the same wheels and that happens with my bike (Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod). I put it down to the frame too (or just the ludicrous wattage I was cranking out 😆 ) Didn’t consider the wheels flexing – although it causes the chain to rub the front derailleur on mine sometimes (I think). Still, a lot of dough to fix something which doesn’t really bother me!

Climbing wheels won’t actually make much difference going uphill, and aero wheels get blown about when it’s windy.

I’d spend half that money and buy some that look nice.I think I agree with this… I’m sure with those sort of wheels it’s all about marginal gains which might be more important if you’re racing/TTing. If I were spending that sort of money they’d have to look the business!

njee20
    Free Member

although it causes the chain to rub the front derailleur on mine sometimes

Could be chainrings too. S-Works ones used to flex like a bastard.

mcboo
    Free Member

Interesting, I have the same wheels and that happens with my bike (Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod).

Its definately the wheels…..had both sets on my old frame, a Cannondale Six and now on the Super Six Hi-Mod. I actually think the upgrade in wheels has had as much impact as the frame, and the frame is a belter.

zilog6128

Could be chainrings too. S-Works ones used to flex like a bastard.

they are Red so pretty lightweight

I actually think the upgrade in wheels has had as much impact as the frame, and the frame is a belter.

I will definitely upgrade to some more blingy wheels when mine wear out or I break them, very happy with the K Elites though so can’t really justify it otherwise!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Have a peek at Cycling Plus this month – it’s got a group test of wheels up to £1000. IIRC some Fulcrums won.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member
    ajc
    Free Member

Surely for a grand you could get climbing wheels and some deep section jobbies. I suspect if you are asking this sort of question your probably not going to be noticing the difference between a £500 and £1000 set of wheels anyway.

STATO
    Free Member

Surely the question is…

Why are you spending (or prepared to spend) £1,000! on wheels when you dont know if you want climbing wheels or aero wheels???

[beaten to it by ajc]

BadlyWiredDog

I upgraded from Mavic Ksyrium Elite to Ksyrium SLR earlier this year, got them for £980 at Winstanley Bikes. Wish I’d done it sooner, I’d thought my frame was flexy when I stamped, it wasnt, it was the wheels (and I liked those wheels a lot), best upgrade ever. Look nice and stealthy too and the breaking power is tremendous.

I’ve used both and couldn’t tell much difference. It must be because I’m slow and weak. Never mind.

Edit: Actually I lied – inadvertently – I’ve used SLs and SLRs, so maybe that explains it. Liked them both, but not impressed by the built-in obsolescence.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I was 1’22” faster on our hilly 10TT course on a £400 of RS80 C24 clinchers with Veloflex masters than I was on £1000 worth of Hope RS5.0s with tubs.
    The Hopes roll nicely and there is a feel of them being special, and they certainly look well, but the numbers don’t lie.

STATO
    Free Member

1’22 faster on a 10TT!! I think the numbers DO lie, or you got lost the previous time 🙄

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Once? Proof enough for me….

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Lolza, sorry one min and 22 seconds… Yes I didn’t go via the next county…

ajc
    Free Member

You weren’t 1 min 22 seconds faster over 10 miles because of wheels.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Well nothing else changed between one week and the next.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at some extralight wheels
    The hyperclinch all alloy and clincher 1190g pair

They are to replace my now 8 year old hyperclimb extralights which have been perfect just now rather worn out and I fancy going tubless

ajc
    Free Member

You just tried harder. The gains for change of wheels on a tt are fairly marginal. A pointy hat or skin suit have a larger effect. If you had the same result with 5 attempts on each wheel that would be a different matter.

STATO
    Free Member

I knew you meant 1min22, thats ludicrous, unless your first time included a stop for a fag break.

Honestly, TT times vary weekly depending on many things, least of all the bike. Just ask the regulars, on a good day the whole field can be 2-3% faster just cos of the weather.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s aero over-shoes where the real gains are.

i’m not even kidding, a real scientist told me.

crikey
    Free Member

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

The suggestion is that aero shoe covers are better than a disc wheel, but I’ve known that for a long time, and use oversocks when I’m late for the cake shop run…

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Re: trying harder, possibly however for more stat goodness that time was a PB.
    Two weeks ago I ran with the 50mm in the back due to holed tyre on the clincher and time was 30s slower, this week was with clinchers again and wind and I was 20s slower.
    The course is a hilly one and I’m running in around 5th-6th place. Road bike, no aero, cap not helmet.
    The wheels worked for me. I’m happy to leave it at that.

crocodilian
    Free Member

I’ve read good reviews and read good things on forums about cero AR30s from here:

Linkle

£350 for 1400g wheels.

They’re top of my list for an upgrade when I can afford them.

Janesy
    Free Member

I was just interested that’s all. Wheelsfar looks like its needs some time browsing.

njee20
    Free Member

They do look very good! Sorely tempted. They even do newer round profile 38mm/50mm rims.

plus-one

The 38mm u shape wheelsfar clinchers are sweet 🙂

They are now hanging off my advanced sl

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

damitamit
    Free Member

Those look lovely. Did you weigh them?

plus-one

Came in at 1270g 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Did you get stung for import tax/duty?

<edit> PM if you prefer

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘best road wheelset for 1k?’ is closed to new replies.