Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best road wheels for £350?
  • andyeez
    Free Member

I have narrowed it down to Cero AR30 which although limited, the reviews are good. 1400gms and aero enough for the Pennine crosswinds not to be a problem. £350.00

Campagnolo Zonda are a close second but 1550gms and limited stocks.

Clinchers and Shimano 10 speed.

I was wondering if there were any opinions on these or any other options out there with a similar spec before I take the plunge and buy?

withersea
    Free Member

Have Zondas and they are lovely. Halfords were doing them cheap or crc with a voucher!

withersea
    Free Member

In fact a v good price on wiggle if you don’t mind the wait

andyeez
    Free Member

Cheers, I saw that deal and am waiting for an email but not holding too much hope at that price. Could sway my decision though if that offer stands.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have the Cero AR30’s, have put over 300 miles on them since i got them including a nightmare off road bail out from the top of Tan Hill in horrible weather last week and they have been faultless so far.
    My luggage scales gave 1405grams so the projected weights are pretty spot on. Lovely smooth ride, do seem to accelerate quickly (although I’m no expert) and the bearings roll very smoothly – although the rear freehub is Hope style noisy if that bothers you.

andyeez
    Free Member

Thanks MD, the Hope noisy freehub is a plus for me, I love my Pro 2’s for that!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Id go tubeless.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Shimano RS80 C24. Fantastic wheelset.

HTTP404
    Free Member

A light wheelset is all well and good but also be looking at stiffness, durability and back-up support.
    Fulcrum 3s, Shimano C24s or Ultegras, Campag Zondas, Mavic Ksyriums

boxxer7
    Free Member

I picked up some Shimano RS81 C24 recently for just over £300, really nice set of wheels would recommend them.

mboy
    Free Member

A light wheelset is all well and good but also be looking at stiffness, durability and back-up support.

The very reason I ended up with Stans Alpha 400’s on Hope Pro3 straight pull’s.

1520g the pair, tubeless compatible (and it’s worth it!), and Hopes legendary back up should the worst happen.

Early days yet but they’re quick… Comfortable too and although there’s probably stiffer wheels, they’re stiff enough…

andyeez
    Free Member

@ mboy;
    Where did you get them from and why do you say tubeless is worth it, just out of interest?

BristolPablo
    Free Member

If you can find them, American Classic Sprint 350s are a really good wheelset for the money, you should be able to get them for under £400 and they are under <1500gs. JEJames have them listed for £375.

I like my Zondas but had to search long and far for a spoke kit which was £30, there are three different spoke lengths in the wheelset so it seemed like a good insurance policy to buy one when I eventually found them. They roll really well though and I havent had any issues with flex.

Fulcrum 3s would be my recommendation if the AC Sprint 350s are getting hard to find. The Vision Trimax 30s get good reviews and GB cycles have them for 350 and they are worth a look.

andyeez
    Free Member

Yes, the lack of spokes for the factory wheelsets put me off initially and I have been tempted by hand built wheelsets in the same ball park but somehow steered back to factory! Not sure what to do, hence the request for info. All very much appreciated.

Any opinions / recommendations on hand built?

TiRed

Handbuilts; Ultegra hubs, Sapim laser/race spokes, CXP33 rims. Not fashionable and not the lightest (about 1750g). But… light enough, stiff and rebuildable. £50 more would get you Dura Ace hubs.

Prefer mine to my Ksyrium Elites and Giant pSLR1 aeros for just riding, despite the slight weight penalty. They really ride so well. C24s would be my next choice, but I wanted easy serviceability.

Tyre and inner tubes will make a big difference too.

mboy
    Free Member

@ mboy;
    Where did you get them from and why do you say tubeless is worth it, just out of interest?

From Hope funnily enough (I have a trade account and I sell Hope stuff).

Been running tubeless on MTB’s for 12 years and wouldn’t go back. At first the benefits aren’t as obvious on the road, but you can get away with lower pressures for a given tyre width and rider weight (just like with tubs) and they roll faster (just like tubs). They don’t quite give the “magic carpet ride” a good set of tubs will, but they are smoother and more comfortable than equivalent clinchers. Basically, they go some way to giving the advantages that tubs offer, without any of the drawbacks save for being a bit more expensive in the first place.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TiRed – Member
    They really ride so well

How? What differences are there between wheels in use bar flex & weight?

There is some guff talked about wheels!

sssimon
    Free Member

How? What differences are there between wheels in use bar flex & weight?

There is some guff talked about wheels!

Resistance (frictional or aero), freewheel pick up, noise, comfort

But yes there is a lot of guff talked and how much any of the above is noticeable is questionable

andyeez
    Free Member

It’s going to be the Zondas I think. Thanks for all the info, just need them back in stock now at Wiggle!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best road wheels for £350?’ is closed to new replies.