• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cp.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best road-only maps for Garmin Edge (touring plus)
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Just bought a Garmin Touring Plus and I don’t like the routing that the pre loaded Openstreet map gives. It doesn’t seem to matter which type of ride I select (Cycling, Cycle Touring or MTB) the GPS can include tracks and footpaths on the route! I just want to route on roads.
    I do use GPXEditor to create courses and if I have the automatic off route rerouting turned off it does seem to stick to the course I’ve loaded. But I will want to use the GPS just as a satnav to get me back to my base and be confident I’m not going to be crossing a ploughed field at any point!

monkeyboyjc

I’ve a touring and have had the same issue in the past – I’ve stuck to just creating routes rather than getting the Garmin to do them on the fly.

If you tell it to do a mtb round route of 20 miles in my area 18 of them will be on the road (I can create my own 70% off road route very easily form my front door).
    If you tell it to do a 50-100 mile road route I’ve had it try to take me down a bridal way or rough track 2 or 3 times.
    So I create my own on bikehike.com, it’s safer that way.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks Monkeyboyjc. It’s a bit silly that there isn’t an option to stick to roads only. Not sure what the difference is between the ‘Cycling’ and ‘Cycle Touring’ options but they can both put you on footpaths! I’m hoping I can use my old City Navigator map that I use on my GPS60csx. Will give it a try.

simondbarnes

If you find a solution then please let me know, I have exactly the same issues. It’s great when uploading routes and following them (20 miles in The Lakes yesterday on new to me trails and it was perfect) but being directed onto cyclepaths, bridleways and canal towpaths when out on my road bike is bloody annoying.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Will do SDB. I see you have had no luck on the Garmin forum. (I posted as Belgishe Wafel)

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve a Edge Touring and have given up on the Garmin routing.

Having been on dirt tracks on the road bike and main roads for 90 % of a MTB ride I just plot my own.

Suppose it may get you back to the start if you get proper lost but, like has been said, just download your own.

I go on Garmin Connect and see if anyone has uploaded a ride near where I want to go and put that onto the Edge and see where it takes me. I’ve found routes I didn’t know existed that way.

houndlegs
    Free Member

@simmy, how do I view other peoples courses? I can only see my courses.

simmy
    Free Member

On the classic view

Explore > activities > this brings up a map view > go to filter and from the drop down choose cycling and time period go to 365 days > type in your town or postcode.

Should bring up recent activities starting near you.

jonba
    Free Member

Maybe change your version of open street map to the one that isn’t cycling specific? There are multiple versions and it may think that everything on the cycling one is rideable on any bike.

cp

As above, use a version of open street maps that isn’t bike specific, just a normal car one.

Fwiw, I find the open street maps far to busy and crowded.

The Garmin street maps of os maps are far better imo.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best road-only maps for Garmin Edge (touring plus)’ is closed to new replies.