Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best riding N.S.E.W of Bridport?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

down in Bridport, Dorset for 3 nights next month…

looking at a couple of days of biking, where should I head to?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

bump, no one?

cinnamon_girl

Wot’s wrong with the Purbecks?

cinnamon_girl

Apologies, didn’t realise it was that distance. 😳

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I can drive to it, if its worth it…

cinnamon_girl

The Purbecks are fantastic and there’s some folk on here who can advise the best routes. There’s been a few Forum rides there and most of us went across on the ferry.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Ferry?, jeeeeez this is becoming epic
    🙂

Moe

Wouldn’t go too far South! 😉

Wasn’t really an Mtb’er when I lived down there but I know there are a lot of woodland paths inland of Branscombe (Nr Seaton), a bit of biking terrain around Ham Hill (East of Crewkerne) and there are some nice tracks (and hills) North of Dorchester (Cerne Abbas/Sydling St Nicholas area).

robbonzo
    Free Member

I would say you have to go to Puddletown forest, not that far, great singletrack, DH, not all easy to find but defo worth a visit.

Moe

He’s already on the right side for Purbecks but still a bit of a trek up the coast.

cinnamon_girl

OK, just had a look at my Dorset mtb guide book – one route starts from West Bay Bridport and takes in Eggardon Hill, there’s a couple that start from Beaminster, another starting in Bridport along Hell Lane, a Jurassic Coast Ride starting from near Bridport.

The book is a good few years old so hopefully someone with local knowledge can advise.

Let me know if you want more info!

Oh and the ferry is a chain thingy that starts near Sandbanks.

TPTcruiser

Forget riding on the first night and drink Palmer’s ales? With an OS map.
    Mother in Law used to live there. Did plenty of walks but nothing on two wheels. Paths took us on quite a few bridleways so routes available.
    Not much due south, coastal footpath off limits to cycles, erosion issues and caravan parks.
    East towards Weymouth has Abbotsbury, quite nice and Dorchester. MTB UK did a route around Maiden Castle (search here for a strand of comments, a year or more ago, I think it was the opposite way to the enjoyable route).

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

cheers people…

something from bridport one day would be good, then maybe the purbecks as a follow up

patentlywill
    Free Member

There’s some good coast/ridgeway rides in the area above abbots bury. Also take a look at this website. Mud Sweat and Gears

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best riding N.S.E.W of Bridport?’ is closed to new replies.