Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best rear mudguard?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Yeah, I know; but after an arse drenching ride on the quantocks on Saturday left me with the coldest, most chafed bum and legs I’ve had in a long time, it is time to grow up and strap on something to protect me from the worst of the spray.

So, what is good in the world of rear mudguards. Anything better than the big flappy ones that attach to the seatpin?

Dave

pdw
    Free Member

it is time to grow up and strap on something to protect me from the worst of the spray.

I hit that point after a particular damp week in the Lakes last November. I’ve now got an SKS Grand MOM on the back, and an RRP neoguard on the front.

I was driven to the SKS as it was one of the few that would go round my abnormally large seat post. You can also mount it to the frame rather than the seat post, and it takes all of 3 seconds to fit or remove completely, just in case we ever have another dry day.

jam-bo

Waterproof shorts

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got waterproof shorts (although I forgot them on Saturday), but can’t help thinking that a mudguard is going to do the job better for those days when you know it is going to be an absolute slop fest anyway. They would avoid the slippery, mud covered saddle too, which always annoys me.

Like I said, I think I’m going to grow up and try a mudguard. Not really interested in hearing from people who want me to look fashionable, I just want a dry arse sometimes between now and ‘summer’.

I saw a guard a while ago that attached to the seat stays. Anyone know who makes it?

Dave

Northwind

I’m very pleased with my rear crudcatcher, since I discovered the correct way to fit it (rebuild the mounting hardware, basically, and plastic weld the 2 main parts together). Actually worth the effort but not so easy if you don’t have a lathe. Cycraguard isn’t as good, but easier to fit.

JoeG
    Free Member
    alfabus
    Free Member

Ooh, found the one I was thinking of: zefal no mud

Looks like it should work well on fs and ht alike

Anyone used one?

Dave

Edit: beaten to it!

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I have a Topeak RX Rear Defender. It looks ugly, but does a good job.

Just put some Crud Race Guards on my childrens bikes. Look much better, and perform just as well as the Topeak.

The only downside to the Topeak is the strap/clamp. It’s a bit fiddly, but once you have figured it out it does hold the guard securely.

midlifecrashes

Zefal No Mud can go on seatstays or suspension forks. Then you can have it closer to the tyre and it moves with the suspension. Decathlon version attaches to canti mounts if you have them.

Edit: D’Oh! everyone’s beaten me to it again.

Popocatapetl

This one looks like it will solve the problem hopefully! Available mid May according to the article.
    MudHugger

supercarp

I have a mucky nutz butt fender light keeps the worst off also if you crash it is unlikely to injure you

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve used the Decathlon one, it’s good but could do with being a bit longer

HermanShake
    Free Member

I use Cycraguards (for me) and a Mucky Nutz (for my fork) and it’s loads better. I’m over the shame of it, my dropper is so much cleaner after a ride. As is my riding gear, face, back etc.

It helps being on a hardtail, I couldn’t find one that works on a FS so gave up on it. They tend to snap on compression!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best rear mudguard?’ is closed to new replies.