Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Best Rear light
  • seamansam
    Free Member

Looking at getting the Smart Lunar R1
    Anyone using one or rec something better>
    Cheers guys

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Smart superflash is pretty good imo.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I run a Cateye Holy Hand Grenade and a lovley old Vista VL700 on my helmet. Very impressed. One major plus of the Hand Grenade is the side visibility, which I think is about as good as it gets.

The RSP rear (Astrium?) is chuffing bright as a helmet light, though. Well worth a look.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Blackburn Mars are great rear lights which project some of the light to sides too for extra visibility.

4ndyB
    Free Member

+1 for Blackburn Mars or Smart Superflash

druidh
    Free Member

Cherry Bomb has the best beam pattern

grim168
    Free Member

I’ve got the deal extreme rear light. That is in a whole other league.

Haze

Exposure Flare worth a look?

Dilker
    Free Member

I use a couple of these… they are expensive but i don’t think you can put a price on being seen!!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/back/product/review-fibre-flare-shorty-light-35008/

The attachments are a bit gash, i just cable tied mine on instead.

Bez

I still rate the Cateye TL-LD600. Bright enough, runs just about forever on AAAs, has useful modes (I use constant if visibility’s needed and have it strobing all the time regardless of time and weather), it’s cheap, it’ll fit directly to certain rear racks, and unlike a hell of a lot of lights (including the newer clamp on the 610) it keeps out of the way of my thighs.

druidh
    Free Member

The Fibre Flares are a bit “prone to failure”

ross980
    Free Member

Recently bought an R1 from On-One (£10 – bargain). Not really used it in anger yet, but as expected it’s loads brighter than the (still very bright for a back light) old 0.5w version that I’ve used for the last few years.

samuri
    Free Member

Cateye TL-LD600. The long thin one. Best rear light ever. Batteries last for ever, it can be seen from a mile off and very waterproof. Had the same one on various commuter bikes now for about 3 years and I commute in all weathers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don’t forget reflective stuff as well – its amazing how well it can be seen. anyone want some(freeish) email me – I have loads of self adhesive stuff in a variety of colours.

for lights I have two big cheap led ones on my commuter as i leave them on the bike a lot outside – but they are nice and bright led ones with one flashing and one steady – good side visibility is important as well,

area of the light is important as well as the power

dyna-ti

Niterider universal tail light takes some beating.

OCB
    Free Member

Another vote for the Blackburn Mars – I’ve got the ‘4’ for use in back country lanes as it’s very *very* bright; out there it’s mounted on my helmet to add to the visibility.

It’s perhaps even a bit too bright in town, mounted at near eye-level on the back of the bike, but rather that than get taken from behind on a dark, wet ride home eh? Also useful for deterring vehicles when out running / walking the dog as it clips on ‘things’ without it’s hard-mounting bracket.

I usually [try to] have one of the bigger knog lights with me too, just in case I get caught out by the failing light / trees. They are usefully bright enough, plus they fit pretty much anywhere / are waterproof / have a good battery life.

Evenings’ll be drawing in soon !

😉

singletracksurfer

like grim above, I use the magicshine light http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Magic-Shine-Rear-light-without-battery.html

Suuuuper bright and runs off the front light battery pack as well.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Fibre Flare attached to backpack all year round with no problems

nbt

+1 for the Holy Hand Grenade (Cateye TL-LD1100)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

exposure flare – best light ive had by far – expensive but well worth it

singletracksurfer

actually a mate has the USE Flash & Flare and they are very tidy (& bright). Perfect for commuting.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yea defo fibre flare they have em on crc

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Another vote for the holy hand grenade. Can’t remember how long I’ve had it for but it’s a long time and it’s never let me down, and I ride year round.

I daresay you can get brighter nowadays but I’ve never felt it’s not bright enough.

mike_p
    Free Member

Another +1 for the Holy Hand Grenade (Cateye TL-LD1100), by ‘eck it’s bright

seamansam
    Free Member

Cheers guys
    Looks like the hand grenade then
    😀

beej

I’ve got a hand grenade, and an Exposure flare. The flare is waaaaay brighter but a smaller area for the light source. It’s also visible from most angles.

In daylight the flare is still very visible, the hand grenade less so.

Both are good, but I’m using my flare more.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Looking at getting the Smart Lunar R1
    Anyone using one or rec something better>
    Cheers guys

This is a great light, and run it in winter in combination with the Cateye Hand Grenade thing. Actually have 2 of them, and the cateye, so is really bright, and with a combination of static and flashing makes sure you are seen.

derek_starship
    Free Member

+1 for the Holy Hand Grenade (Cateye TL-LD1100)

Side visibility is a boon.

Flash patterns are groovy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    don’t forget reflective stuff as well – its amazing how well it can be seen.

Oh my……It appears I have to agree with TJ!

Ankle bands are awesome at this, as the movement created is instantly recognisable as a cyclist. These are, IMO, the bestest;

Nice Bridgedale socks and Scott Taco shoes as well! 🙂

bobblehat
    Free Member

2 x HHG for me, one on the rack (static), one on the seatpost (flashing). There are brighter lights, but not as bright as HHG viewed from the side. Very weather-proof and good run times with easy to find AA batteries.

ourmaninthenorth

Holy Hand Grenad AND Smart R1 for me.

HHG on seatpost. R1 on pack.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve had:

Cateye LD600. Pretty bright, filled with water pronto.

2x holy handgrenade. The LD1000 and ‘brighter’ LD1100. Not actually that bright. So heavy it seems to break the mount band or the mount itself in cold winter weather. The two rows go in and out of phase, so it dosn’t appear to flash if you’re further than 50 yards from it. I don’t use them anymore. Side visability is good though. Expensive.

Smart 1/2 watt superflash. Supurb: very bright, ace run times, light, small, getting the batts out is a doddle, best mount/clip ever. A bit prone to weather if you don’t use mudguards, as it is a springy plastic snap fit, they can get tired and spring apart if given a big jolt. No side visability. So cheap its silly not to own a dozen.

Mars 3.0. Poor. Not that bright, run times average, side visability provision is pointless, getting the batts out requires a small screwdriver. Decent mount/clip though.

DX uber rear light. Amazingly bright. I actually worry about dazzling drivers. Impervious to weather. Ace run time. Decent side visability. The mount is basic snap ring, no provision for angle of dangle. Seperate battery is a faff. The flash modes are over complicated: I tend to use it in solid, in conjunction with a smart superflash on flash, as there is no constant flash, just a sequence of short flashes, followed by long flashes with BIG ‘off’ pauses between ‘on’ flashes. Well priced compared to similar uber LED jobs.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Best Rear light’ is closed to new replies.