Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • F1 Spoiler: Best race so far that like
  • nickewen
    Free Member

Hamilton drove an absolute blinder but Jenson, what’s going on?!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Tit!

donsimon
    Free Member

Seriously impressive race all round, I quite liked the Sky commentry team too.
    ps, you might like to put something in the thread title to mention it’s an F1 spoiler as the race isn’t due on the BBC for a couple of hours yet. 😉

Tit!

Why? The OP hasn’t given finishing positions, has he? Writing Tit! was more likely to be a giveaway of the result.

nickewen
    Free Member

Fair comment. Didn’t really think about bbc coverage but if I was trying to avoid hearing a race result I would not open a thread called ‘Best race so far’ on a chat forum just as the race ends live..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

Just edit, putting “F1 Spoiler” in the title, that’ll be enough.

donsimon
    Free Member

😉
    As you were.
    A bit of a screw up on the part of Alonso, but hats off to Hamilton and I would want to be on the receiving end of the questions that Button will be getting.

nickewen
    Free Member

Yeah the 1 stop didn’t work for Alonso but it was impressive how well Grosjean did on tyres that were just 2 laps younger. Hamilton stole the show though, he was told to push and he drove the wheels off it.

the-muffin-man

Top of the league!…

http://fantasyf1game.net/league/table/33240

Brilliant race – loving this season (apart from Monaco when I nearly fell to sleep!)

EDIT! – now third overall (changed just after I posted!!!), honest!

the-muffin-man

Looks like Lewis will have JB playing a support role from now on too.

nickewen
    Free Member

Aye, Jenson always seems to be whinging about something these past few races. Can’t quite work out what’s going on. Massa still needs to improve too – he was looking pretty sweet at the start of the race then made his error and spun.

donsimon
    Free Member

Good race from the Mexican, Sergio Perez too.
    7 races with 7 different winners and some unexpected podiums and a hanfull of points covering the top drivers.
    Some great racing between Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel in the early stages too and later with Hamilton pushing Alonso.
    You couldn’t write this kind of stuff.

rOcKeTdOg

F1 Canada observations and questions
    who the heck is Massa sleeping with to retain that drive?

thank Bernie for D.R.S. it’d be rubbish without

never ever let Pirelli leave F1 unpredictable tyres make for great racing

7 races 7 winners, who rigged that? 😉

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Please.. just STOP SHOWING THAT SHIRTLIFTER BIRD 😈 Arggghhh!

End of rant!

Pook

cracking race.

hora
    Free Member

When Hamo had a bad patch he was obviously full of frustration but it mainly manifested itself in making rash moves and contact with Massa.

I do think that racing drivers have a talent window and when it starts to go it goes quickly. A true generalisation?

With Button- the worry is why doesn’t he know what the problem is? Could it be ^ and he is in fear/or is thinking ‘is this it?’ and even if it isn’t its affecting his mindset thinking this way???

Kryton57

hora – Member
    With Button- the worry is why doesn’t he know what the problem is? Could it be ^ and he is in fear/or is thinking ‘is this it?’ and even if it isn’t its affecting his mindset thinking this way???

Maybe its Nicole bending over lewis’ cockpit distracting Jensen.

andytherocketeer

Some great racing between Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel in the early stages

Shame that BBC radio 5 live sports extra showed their real priorities and put cricket on until about lap 17 👿
    Also a shame that RTL showed where their priorities lie by putting on adverts from about lap 4 until about 1 corner before the leader started lap 10!!! WTF???!!! That’s 6 whole laps at pushing 1min30 each! 8-9mins of adverts before the first pit stops.

So I’ll have to take your word for it about the early stages. 1st 3 laps weren’t bad.

At least normally when the ads are on there’d still be radio commentary.

The end was superb though 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

I do think that racing drivers have a talent window and when it starts to go it goes quickly. A true generalisation?

I don’t think so. I think it’s often a “giving a shit” window. Damon Hill retired because he said he’d stopped caring about racing. He apparently loved driving the car but wasn’t that bothered about racing for low positions after he’d won his world championship. Conversely there’s some seriously talented and quick drivers in GTs, tin tops etc who are older than you’d imagine reasonable. Providing they’re fit enough, motivation seems to be the key.

Jenson has had a hard few seasons since he won the title and you have to ask whether if, as seems likely, he’ll never win the title again, can he keep his motivation. That said, he was written off before at Honda and smashed it (albeit with by far the best car) when they became Brawn.

hora
    Free Member

Damon Hill retired because he said he’d stopped caring about racing. He apparently loved driving the car but wasn’t that bothered about racing for low positions after he’d won his world championship.

From memory he had a difficult relationship with Frank Williams. i.e. they didn’t rate rate him and wasn’t going to get a new contract? Hence he went to Danka/Arrows/Walkinshaw.

The Brawn had the double-diffuser to help them…….

atlaz
    Free Member

hora – Sort of. That’s why he left Williams but after Arrows he went to Jordan, won their first race for them but that was when he said he’d lost motivation. The 2nd half of his last season was a bit embarrassing really. He didn’t drive badly but was constantly changing his mind about when he was retiring and his last race was a farce as he retired a perfectly healthy car instead of finishing.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Jenson…smashed it (albeit with by far the best car) when they became Brawn.

He smashed the first 6 races….the rest of the season from Silverstone onwards he didn’t fair so well and just hung onto the championship.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

just hung onto the championship

The key bit being he won the championship, I.e. from the first to the last race he won more points than anyone else.

hora
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a big thing about Brawn being all the teams technical representative and him keeping the double-diffuser possibility under his hat? He managed to run with this (teams raised objections but were over-ruled as it was inside the rules….just no one else knew that it would be..)

thepurist

It wasn’t just the DD on the Brawn, as other teams had also noticed the loophole and implemented their own version. Brawn did it better but they also had a better car at the start of the year because Honda had pretty much written off the previous season and started work on the car very early. The Brawn team then inherited the car when Honda failed, but wasn’t able to develop the car at the same pace as it’s rivals so when they added their DDs and other parts the Brawn lost its advantage.

Brawn was one of the FOTA reps on the FIA technical working group – Brawn had notified the other teams that the diffuser rules weren’t tight enough but they chose not to close the loopholes, then were outraged when Brawn, Williams & Toyota (IIRC) exploted them.

hora
    Free Member

Alot of the teams developed/fitted the DD IN the season thought trying to catch up……

stophe
    Free Member

who the heck is Massa sleeping with to retain that drive?

From Wikipedia:

Nicolas Todt, son of Ferrari’s past team principal and current FIA president Jean Todt, is Massa’s manager.

Think that goes some way to explain why he still has a drive with Ferrari!

roady_tony
    Free Member

I think we need to put the race into perspective.

Hamilton got the tyres switched on – bravo – DRS made it easy – not so bravo – but as we have seen throughout its just been the luck of the draw on the day/afternoon/weather/temps with the tyres.
    We have seen before, Hamilton Qu’d on Pole, yet race day he’s going backwards , the same happened here with Vettel.
    We have seen mid-pack runners win/get podiums on the back of the tyre luck, we had it here too in Canada.

I for one dont think this is ‘real’ F1, and I think behind the scenes the teams and drivers who originally thought they would get to grips and understand the tyres are simply getting upset and frustrated that they perform so randomly during the race.

I suspect in this year of floatation, Bernie is going into the Pirelli factory each night before the races and playing about with some buttons and settings for the compound – exciting means money. 😉

@andytherocketeer – i’m with you there, RTL really did a bad move there, as for the BBC, yup i found the commentry on the actual BBC Sport webpage, not on program listings, even though it said it was on R5LX – instead boring cricket commentators filling in time talking about their local pubs! I really hate the RADIO commentry on the beeb (and the live one too!)

hora
    Free Member

Think that goes some way to explain why he still has a drive with Ferrari!

Thats disingenuous to Massa though. He was is/was well liked at Ferrari. He was also quite a good driver. Maybe the spring-incident didn’t help(?) but his motivation etc has taken a dive when he lost the title race?? Well its gradually tailed off. I bet he knew immediately when Alonso signed that was it. No more title-shots for good.

brakes
    Free Member

Button’s problem is, and always has been, that the car set-up needs to be perfect for him. He’s an ultra-smooth, line perfect kind of driver so if anything is a bit wonky on the car or doesn’t match his style of driving then he will be slow.
    He can not adapt his driving style to suit the car and/ or track.

stophe
    Free Member

It was a little tongue-in-cheek. I think he suffers from a poor car more than Alonso too, who could probably drive a mid-field car to a fairly decent finish.
    Also, Massa may well provide excellent information about the car behind the scenes, so it may well be that his input to car development is useful to the team more than his recent run of poor form.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

brakes – not quite. Whitmarsh had a postrace interview on Sky were he said that Lewis does enough to heat the tyres into their sweetspot and then not rag them. He hinted that JB isn’t getting enough heat into the tyres to get a quick lap and then they grain in traffic.

If JB could get a clear racretrack in front of him he’d be off. As it is he can’t overtake a Caterham without clattering it.

brakes
    Free Member

that doesn’t explain his bad qualifying though does it?

thepurist

I for one dont think this is ‘real’ F1,

So what is? Shuey/Vettel winning all but a handful of races every season? Prost/Senna lapping virtually the entire field?

IMO Bridgestone ruined F1 by making tyres that would run and run and run, so we didn’t have the current situation where you have to make a call between pace and durabilty. The only thing that’d spice it up now is if another tyre supplier was involved and we got back into a tyre war look the good old days.

hora
    Free Member

Last night I thought wow…

Then I thought have they cooked up a penalty yet.

atlaz
    Free Member

There are always variables. If you want “real” F1, better off with Indycar where things are mostly equal (yet surprisingly the same people win most of the time) as it’s tightly controlled.

My real bugbear at the moment is ITV screaming about how many different winners we’ve had like that’s some sort of keystone of a great season. Oh, and the fact that Ben Edwards has, on occasion, apparently had some sort of lobotomy and spouts bollocks of the finest order. And don’t get me started about Lee McKenzie who, frankly, makes me want to turn off the TV (her bio says she competed in the WRC as a codriver, conveniently forgetting it was with Tony Jardine for a TV programme). So I usually do.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘F1 Spoiler: Best race so far that like’ is closed to new replies.