Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Best quick way of cooking mushrooms?
  • jekkyl

hit me with your best tasty methods to cook mushrooms quickly?
    Thanks

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nuke them from Orbit.

It’s the only way to be sure.

MoreCashThanDash

Fried in butter

/thread

jekkyl

how long would you fry them for?
    details, cash/dash I need details!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Fried dry (i.e. no oil) in a hot pan until they are cooked. There’s a surprising amount of water in them that needs to come out. Once done toss in some garlic butter.

1-shed
    Free Member

Fry in butter, season with salt and pepper cook until they squeak turn off heat wait till they release water. A quick reheat done.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Fry in butter, season with salt and pepper cook until they squeak turn off heat wait till they release water.

Not mice.

Mushrooms.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Best way is to make tea out of them, and hold your nose as your drink…

Oh wait. Not those mushrooms.

DaRC_L

Best way is to make tea out of them, and hold your nose as you drink…

not if you use ribena…

It depends how you like your mushrooms – I like olive oil, garlic salt and fry until lightly coloured
    Other days I like them heavily fried in butter until the water comes out and you can reduce it into a sauce but that’s not quick

4130s0ul
    Free Member

a small amount of butter and olive oil, a pinch of dried thyme, make sure the sliced shrooms are spread evenly on the base of the pan (piling them up steams them) fry on a medium heat for five minutes or so until looking cooked

slowoldman

how long would you fry them for?

Until done.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Quick tea for maximum impact or freeze them in a massive ball and nibble on them at house parties throughout university

Stoner
    Free Member

coincidentally I’m just cooking a mushroom stroganoff for tea.

Onions
    paprika/smoked/regular
    garlic
    dash of red wine.
    shrooms
    sour cream.

easy

joshvegas
    Free Member

Add bacon to a pan fry until crispy.

Throw mushrooms in the bin.

Enjoy.

jekkyl

lol@josh.

I do normally wok them with some veg oil but sometimes they just turn out minging. Lately I’ve taken to microwaving them and they turn out edible just not very tasty.

Jamz
    Free Member

I do normally wok them with some veg oil but sometimes they just turn out minging. Lately I’ve taken to microwaving them and they turn out edible just not very tasty.

sacré bleu!!!

*crosses himself furiously*

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Slice them quite thin, put them in a bowl with salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice. Then cook pasta, drain pasta, and add together in the pasta pan, leave lid on for about 1 minute, then serve, with extra black pepper if you want. 😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

They smell great microwaved! Sometimes do it at work and then do eggs – people always comment the mushrooms smell like a proper cooked breakfast.

Whereas the reality is they’re just reall hot and bland :/

Drac

Cook them in them in bacon fat. Surprisingly even when cooked in fat the water comes out.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pan fry with small amount of butter and oil, add sea salt and black pepper.

thejesmonddingo

Drac has it !!

bigjim

chestnut mushrooms raw sliced with good extra virgin olive oil.I got that from Antonio Carluccio so it must be OK.

kayak23

Put them on a pizza.

Drac

Best way to cook mushrooms is raw? 😕

soobalias
    Free Member

hi Drac, welcome to STW.
    i guess you are new here 🙂

Drac

Hahaha!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Are you just after mushrooms on their own or as a side?

Or just want to use up some mushrooms?

If the latter, just chop them up and stick in just about any dish you like. Casserole, curry, risotto, lasagne, spag bol, any pasta dish really, stick on pizza, anything.

Making a roast, shove in with the spuds a couple of minutes before the end and roast them.

On their own though – fry.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

a small amount of butter and olive oil, a pinch of dried thyme, make sure the sliced shrooms are spread evenly on the base of the pan (piling them up steams them) fry on a medium heat for five minutes or so until looking cooked

Almost exactly this. Don’t add too many to the pan. The high water content means they steam themselves. Cook on a low heat and let the water evaporate as they cook. Increase the heat at the end. Add worcestershire sauce at the end.

The higher the water content of the mushrooms, the smaller they should be chopped. Don’t wash them; just brush the dirt off.

http://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrient/water/mushrooms/

If you’re able to plan in advance, next time you roast some pork, keep the fat. It’s perfect for cooking the mushrooms in. We used to slow roast half-bulbs of garlic to squeeze onto the mushrooms at the end.

Serve on toast, obviously.

maccruiskeen

use open-cup mushrooms and a lot of them (about 500g, they’ll cook down to not much)
    Cook them in two batches so that you can keep them in a thin layer in the pan
    little bit of oil and a nice big pan
    fry til the water comes out and sort of caramelises and sticks to the shrooms

set those aside and repeat with the second batch

when they’re nearly ready add some garlic and cook it it for a minute then put the first batch back in and throw in a glass of white wine, a spoon of balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper and cook for a couple of minutes until the wine has nearly bubbled away

Stir in some chopped fresh parsley just before you serve.

Serve on toast, obviously.

Or in a toasty (if you’ve got an old school breville)

butter the outside of the bread
    coat the inside of the bread with dijon mustard
    fill with chopped field mushrooms, garlic and fresh parsley

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Best quick way of cooking mushrooms?’ is closed to new replies.