Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • best quality flat pedal?
  • Rockape
    Free Member

Nukeproof electrons cheap light amazing grip. Also had superstar nanos which I cannot fault for value and grip.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

+1 for Nukeproof Electrons…like them because they’re thin and light…but still strong and grippy.

richb1910
    Free Member

Hope F20’s for me I run these on my Sb5c and they works really well. They have had a fair few dings but show not signs of damage and no ill effects so a definite vote from me.

Having said that my wife has saints on her Cube and no complaints there either.

Andy_K

I’ve got two pairs of DMR vaults going, but they do need regular maintenance to ride year round in the lakes. The platform is great but any dirt or grit that gets in the top end will wear the poly bush and eventually make them baggy.

Just replaced the axles on one pair as I’d left it way too long and the axle face had corroded and worn, leaving play even with new bushes.

strangey13
    Free Member

I’m liking the Nukeproof Horizons. Switch between them and Mallets for clipped. Used the Electrons in the past and the new ones seem alot better. Bigger platform and more grip, foot seems to sit better on them too.

didgerman
    Free Member

Tried a few, never wanted to fork out for hopes, eventually did, save yourself some hassle, go root one and get some f20s.
    I should add, syntace have been making quality gear for a time. Best tri bars ever, maybe not write them off if they suit.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Oh no, now I’ve seen those Syntace pedals I’m going to have to get a set..

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve not bought many flat pedals over the years, but the Wellgo B54s I bought for several bikes in 2008 have really held up well over time.

Murray

A shin protector to reduce bramble damage is something I’d go for….

flaps
    Free Member

Re-Vaults and rider weight, i’m about 74kg (11 stone 10 in old money) and i’ve had no problems with them even after winter use and covering about 1000 miles. I think I’ll keep and service them as and when as they hold a bit of sentimental value to me now (gift from my Nan who’s no longer with us) but if I didn’t have them I think i’d buy something else.
    Re – Shin protector, depending on how they look I think it could be a good idea. I’m sure they would look better than this (link to a pic after they dug in, I didn’t want to include it in the post in case people don’t want to see that kind of thing) https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmdmEFgXgAUPCbk.jpg:medium

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Ooof nice.

leegee

The shin protector interests me.

Digby

Had a pair of Burgtec Mk3 for years and really really like them. Unfortunately I’ve snapped the axle twice and can’t source a replacement (Burgtec’s website has been showing ‘Out of Stock’ for ages.

Have also got a pair Point One podium pedals as they are quite low profile so useful with shorter cranks on a bike with low BB. Got the rebuild kit/spare but they seem to be lasting ok. Sourcing spares in the future might be an issue as they are now made by Gamut and I don’t think the bearings etc are backwards compatible

Hope F20s are the preferred choice at the moment with the longer hollow pins at the front & rear to improve grip. Well built and easy reliable source of spares.

dumbbot
    Free Member

http://s15.postimg.org/wup3gftd7/IMG_20150725_191133470_HDR.jpg

What about back of the calf protection? This was done by some Nukeproof electrons, went and bought some five Ten’s after this.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Just bought some Gamut Podiums, so far they feel great, build quality is excellent and weigh 280g on my accurate scales.
    Will feed back once I’ve done some more riding on them.

nach
    Free Member

lapdog – Member
    Ming the Merciless got it right. Money no object there is only Syntace Titan 9 pedals.

Yeah. After a year mine spin a bit too freely, but the bodies are the toughest pedals I’ve had (and the lightest).

Nanos lasted me okay but got quite dented, and I’ve known loads of people swear by Vaults too.

0range5

I’ve had good reliability from Superstar but the bushes do develop a bit of play. Regreasing pretty much removes the play though.
    Will be Hope next time though.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The first pair of Nano’s that I bought were indestructible. They were four years old when my DH bike was nicked. They’d been used on a trail bike and ridden in sone filthy conditions. All four bikes they were on had low BB’s so plenty of pedal strikes and nowt. The second pair didn’t last so well; three pins were ripped out on one side in a crash.

Tried Spank Spikes but they were shite. They seized at the slightest hint of a wet rude. The in board bearing bulge was annoying too.

Currently in Vaults which feel great and grip well. Not had them long enough to comment on their longevity. Both sea have shrugged off a fair few pedal strikes.

-lucas-
    Free Member

+1 for vaults

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Those podiums look ideal from a cost/weight point of view. Hovering over the buy button…

matther01
    Free Member

+1 vaults

At 78kg both pairs have been fine for over a year, but I am tempted by the the podiums.

Fifty fifty look quite good but hard to get hold of

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I was ready to buy a set of podiums til I walked into my lbs and there was a set being brought back a week after being sold for warranty. Left one had 1/2 inch of lateral movement, despite axle nut being tight, right one bearings were as rough as a badgers.
    I bought burgtecs instead, thankfully.

mikey74
    Free Member

@nobeer

Were they the new ones, by Gamut, or the old Point One versions? I had the latter, and they weren’t great in terms of durability, but I’ve just seen the Gamut ones are redesigned.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve just got at least four years out of a pair of twenty6 prerunners. Very light and have taken lots of abuse. Emailed them though and can’t get any rebuild kits so they are destined for the bin now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mikey, the new gamut ones, was 2 weeks back.

slparsons
    Free Member

Another vote for Shimano Saints from me. I’d buy another pair tomorrow 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Tried Spank Spikes but they were shite. They seized at the slightest hint of a wet rude. The in board bearing bulge was annoying too.

My Spikes were great after one year of wet weather abuse. They don’t spin freely – they aren’t meant to. The stiffer rotation is for dirt jumpers and downhillers.

grahamdcd
    Free Member

In the past I’ve had DMR V8’s, V12’s & Vaults. I now use Pedaling Inovations ‘Catalyst’ (James Wilson / bikejames.com) which I’m getting used to now: massive platform with different foot position. Could do with more grip (might try longer pins this summer) & had to lower my seatpost to compensate for the more forward foot position. Definitely feel more solid downhill & more power uphill but here’s a review:
    Pinkbike review of Catalyst pedal

lapdog
    Free Member

I don’t get the love for saints. I have a set on one of my bikes. They are OK but compared to the better options out there they are too heavy, the platform is on the small size, the Q factor is a bit much and I found the bearings have a tendency to creak. Once again the Syntace pedals are on another level in comparison.

andyrm
    Free Member

Boomslangs here – they’ve lasted longer than the Vaults I had previously, 18 months in and well bashed up cosmetically but functionally perfect with just a decrease.

Worst I’ve used was a set of HT AE01 that developed play in a couple of rides then bent an axle inside a month. I’m only 75kg so not even a buffer. They went back sharpish……

zaskar75
    Free Member

Crank brothers 50/50 on two of my bikes , saints on another both spot on.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Seems a right minefield this. Fancied the syntace Titans but apparently they fall apart, the Gamut Podiums fall apart, magnesium pedals are too soft, HT AE01s etc bearing design is crap, straitlines fall apart, race face atlas’s come off the axles…it seems impossible to get thin and light pedals no matter what the cost. I need to replace my Ti Springs (HT AE01s) as the any t of play in the bushings is ridiculous. Surely there must be something out there sub 300g that doesn’t fall to bits…

tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve some blue Burgtec mk4s (ti axle) that need a good home if they’re any use

Email in profile

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Race Face Chester? Got some, work as well as my Saints with much less weight.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but blue pedals aren’t going to work on my red and black bike! Would love some burgtec a if they were lighter though.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

What’s blue?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

The blue burgtecs that the poster above you offered?! 😆

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Ah, skimmed, sorry.

Must pay attention!

mindmap3
    Free Member

My Spikes were great after one year of wet weather abuse. They don’t spin freely – they aren’t meant to. The stiffer rotation is for dirt jumpers and downhillers.

I know they’re not supposed to spin freely, but they’d sieze solid after a wet ride.

mahalo

Gamut podiums look amazing!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘best quality flat pedal?’ is closed to new replies.