Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Best plastic for homemade front mudguard?
  • breninbeener

I have several mtb, and its my intention to make some front mudguards for them, experimenting with shape and length.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for the plastic to use, and thickness/grade please.

Its my intention basically to cut out shapes from flat sheet as i cant really do anything more complex, and I’d like some recommendations that are a bit more stylish than my milk carton lashups!

jamesfts
    Free Member

Buy a Marsh Guard/Fender bender and use that as a template.

I did cut one out of an old race race number which lasted quite well but in the end just bought more of the above – for the price it’s not worth the faff.

Pro tip – run them upside down and you don’t have to look at the nasty graphics/branding.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Mate made one out of a cheap plastic folder. Works really well and the plastics tough and flexible.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zero-cool
    Free Member

I bought some cheap plasticard from eBay and made a copy of my Marsh Guard for the rear.
    Word of advice 1mm thick is too thick. Go with 0.5 or 0.75mm

Tom KP

karlsbug
    Free Member

I made one from an old Muck Off spray bottle, its got the right curve.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Not sure on the best plastic but there are loads of templates on-line for the flimsy plastic type. I did read people were using plastic folders from staples.
    Another ideas I have seen is using housing gutter pipe.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Ecover non-bio laundry liquid bottles. Just the right curve, more substantial than milk bottles, and on special offer at Waitrose!

breninbeener

Thanks guys, i will explore those options!

digga
    Free Member

karlsbug – Member
    I made one from an old Muck Off spray bottle, its got the right curve.

^This. I used an old 5l S***Shifter bottle, but any 5l plastic bottle – screen wash or sundry detergent types – will do.

Very proud of my UN-duro guard. TM

jaymoid

WH SMiths were doing 3 black folders for £2, enough to make 6 front mudguards. Here’s mine, it’s the same dimensions as as fender bender xl. Bit stiffer than fender bender but has done the trick so far.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Paperchase sell polyboard in no end of colours.

gazc
    Free Member

plastic files work well – have some from work. if you’re in newcastle you can grab one. also have a template image i can email you, print out full size and it works straight away

breninbeener

Hi Gazc,
    I have emailed you! Thanks

Ian

Goldigger
    Free Member

Hope it’s not going on a Santa Cruz

breninbeener

No SC for me, but it will be on my Cube and YT

felixdamouse
    Free Member

plastic place mats cheap as chips and can get some funky designs

billytinkle
    Free Member

The plastic from folders is polypropylene – can be bought from Ebay in sheets too. Works very well for mudguards.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Begs the question how they have the nerve to charge £10 for one and who is stupid enough to pay it.

ThePinkster

I’ve used spare bits of guttering & 2ltr coke bottles in the past, not necessarily at the same time 😉

Karl33to
    Free Member

As already said, Mucoff bottles work pretty well, just traced around a marshguard with a sharpie to make this one…

unovolo
    Free Member

I downloaded a PDF template, printed it off transferred it to a £1 tesco folder and cut that out, used a hole punch to make holes for cable ties.

Works perfectly and looks almost as professional as the paid for versions.
    Email me at: unovolo at gmail dot com if you want a copy of the PDF template.

karlsbug
    Free Member

^^@Karl33to exactly like mine.

nach
    Free Member

Polypropylene. I’m pretty sure it’s what most of the bender fender ones are made from (specifically a product named ViPrint), and it’s available down to 0.5mm thick sheets. It’s strong and incredibly chemically resistant, packaging manufacturers tend to use it whenever they need a living hinge (e.g. the top of a tictac box).

Stationery binders can be a readily available source of small amounts, but when I’ve got it that way it’s been 0.8 – 1mm thick and harder to work with. Try ebay maybe? 0.5mm is plenty strong enough if you can get it, and easy to cut with scissors.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

As daft as it may sound, you could try cutting out templates from an old camping mat.

They’re fairly pliable, cheap and waterproof.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Best plastic for homemade front mudguard?’ is closed to new replies.