Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • best place to stay near Whinlatter and Grizedale
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Planning a long weekend over in May: any ideas guys (near pubs/restaurants if poss)

tomaso
    Free Member

Hawkshead YHA is a decent base and the Kings Arms in Hawkshead has great beer.
    Elterwater not a YHA anymore hostel is a good too and the Britannia Inn is superb – chip butties with your post night ride pint – no problem! Oh and the beer is very good as we’ll and the food is decent too.
    Plenty of places to stay in or near Keswick but ultimately there are some big lumps of mountain between Whinlatter and Grizedale. If you want both somewhere around Ullswater would be good. There is a YHA in Patterdale and Glenridding or a little way up towards Helvellyn

ampthill

Hmm they are along way apart so almost any where in between would work

Are we talking campsite, B&B, Hotel?

My instinct is to say Keswick. Handy for Altura on Saturday and then do Grizedale on the way home on Sunday

I’ll also kick off with the have you thought of perhaps doing comments..

Maybe do a Bridleway ride on Saturday, maybe in Langdale and the grizedale on Sunday. Thus reducing time in the car and increasing the variety. Staying in Ambleside would then make more sense

pipiom
    Free Member

I was thinking more, good B+B
    /Hotel…..and, maybe 3days riding ….1. Whinlatter. 2. Grizedale then another day XC/Trail day out

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Skip Grizedale trail and do the bridleways instead, Whinlatter is good fun but there is a lot more out there (try borrowdale bash)

It’s also a right pain to get between the 2 if it’s at all busy. Plenty of Awesome riding out of Ambleside and Keswick so I’d go either of those

ampthill

I’d go to Keswick for a b and b. Plenty of eating and drinking options. Bike shops for browsing spares and advice. Nice views from the town and not too far from Whinlatter

Do Whinlater day one. Borrowdale bash day two or Round Skiddaw. By day 3 you’ll be an expert and can make your own mind up.

Once you’ve decided on a town I’d start a thread looking for a b and b which has some where to keep your bikes and somewhere you can leave your car

failedengineer

Keswick’s a good place to stay – plenty of good food and beer. Whinlatter’s worth a go, but the North Face in Grisedale isn’t very good. However, there is so much good natural stuff there, it’s worth a visit. Driving down to Grisedale from Keswick’s not that bad – top tip, park on the main Bowness – Newby Bridge road in the first layby past the ferry (1/2 mile); ride back to ferry,across lake, over Claife Heights, down excellent descent to Hawkshead, up into Grisedale via ‘new’ bridleway in middle of village and then take your pick of the good stuff. Bridleway from Parkamoor to Satterthwaite (and then on to visitor centre for lunch)is particularly good, IMHO.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘best place to stay near Whinlatter and Grizedale’ is closed to new replies.