• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pk13.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best place to sell an old VW campervan
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Wheres the best place to advertise and sell an old VW campervan? It’s a 70s bay window, not keen on eBay but this might get the most exposure, don’t think autotrader is the first place that springs to mind if you’re looking for one and local free ad places seem a waste of time. I’ve been out of the scene a while and just kampers used to be a go to place but that seems dead now, so what’s good with other websites or forums these days?

dovebiker

carandclassic.co.uk

Latebay website/forum and Facebook

adjustablewench
    Free Member

As already mentioned http://www.thelatebay.com

My brother is an administrator for that site – so slight family biased (must be in our genes to lurk on forums!)

slowbloke
    Free Member
    pk13

Car and classic
    Earlybay.com
    Latebay.com
    Vzi
    thesamba.com

Would be my preferred list starting from the top. The market is still good for the right van but I have one so I’m very biased. eBay is for the jokers mostly who think a bag of rust with Westy written on it is worth £££££
    Tintops are a little cheaper that pop tops.

What year and spec is it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cornwall?

revs1972
    Free Member

Busfest is coming up in the near future if you are any where near the Malverns. They usually have a decent vehicle sales area there, and should have a decent audience

nickjb
    Free Member

It used to be in VolksWorld when I was looking many years ago. Are they still going? I think I’d still go with ebay. Great exposure and the fees aren’t too bad for cars

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks, all, I’ll look at latebay and car and classic.

It’s hard to work out a price for it, I’ve looked on ebay and they vary a lot, some reasonable some loads of ££s. It’s a 1976 Devon conversion, might be a Moonraker, I’ve had it a long time, engine and gearbox a bit special but nothing radical, great overall condition, loads more I could say but then it would begin to sound like an advert ….. although I don’t think anyone on here would be interested in one of these as most can’t even coordinate 2 thumbs at once let alone set up the points on a dizzy 😉 😆

pk13

7-10k unless it’s rotten. If it’s 76 try the late bay first.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

7-10k, ok, thought maybe a bit more, it’s not rotten but could do with a bit of tlc, welding and respray about 8 years ago, the engine is a 2007cc with dellortos and it’s a cog box gearbox, foksy adjustable front beam, remote oil filter, extended sump, original interior, tax exempt, 12month mot. Trying to get onto latebay as I type this, I’m sure I joined before but it’s been a while and can’t remember password and I’m not getting the password reset emails (can’t register as my email already registered) I’ll advertise it on there, at least I’ll get a better idea of price/feedback somewhere like that.

Trekster

These guys may be interested; http://www.solwaycampers.com/

pk13

Now with details lol..
    Engine is worth 4/5k on its own if it’s got good provenance
    Gearbox is good too.
    If it’s got a fresh mot and runs well then 12/16k
    Now If I had that and the time (and the love for all things VWs)I would sell the engine complete and stick and good stock engine in it for maximum profit. or I’d stick it in my bug for showing up the fast Audi types..

One thing I will say is do a good add with as much info and photos you can the engine will attract as will the gear box summers here so if you get it “ready to camp” like staging a house for sale you will aim it at the people who want the dream too not just the VW collectors. (Maybe get a cheap day awning and pic nic basket ect)
    It’s hard to say without photos although it sounds like a good bus.
    It will sell but you might have to wait for the right buyer.
    Good look.

Mister-P
    Free Member

set up the points on a dizzy

Surely you have electronic ignition on a 2007cc, which I’m guessing is a type 4 motor if it’s a 1976 van. £7k sounds too cheap to me.

pk13

You won’t get a password reminder just register sometimes it will not email them.
    I’m thinking its type1 engine will help the resale value so I hope it is for the op

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

It’s a type 1 engine built with a stroker crank, mild cam, can’t remember the bore x stroke but when I was into all this stuff I did a lot of research to get the right bits and pieces for a torquey engine. Gearbox is a 2 lt box as well, stronger than the stock 1600 box and a slightly higher ratio. Anyway, not quite perfect to camp in, we’ll happily camp in it but there’s a few little things that could be easily dealt with such as we never used the sink so it needs a submersible pump and wiring up, little things. I’ll get an ad up on latebays and see how it goes, sad to see it go as I’ve had it 20+ years but we just want something bigger now. Thanks all! 😀

Going to see if photobucket will let me add a photo??

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Well that’s a bit confusing, photobucket let me put a photo up there, thought it had all gone ‘pay me $400 or you can’t post photos’ ??

vdubber67
    Free Member

Hi – where are you based? Any chance of a couple more pics to rtedgeAThotmail.com please? I’ve been talking about getting a Bay again (cos a T3 and T4 just isn’t enough, lol!)

Ta

Rich

pk13

Nice van a bit different to how you fist described it;)6 rib gearbox then. If that was a Westy I’d have it. Who built the engine as that makes a huge difference on what folk will pay
    Start it at 20k

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Hi Rich, I’m in the southeast – Brighton way, so right at the bottom of the UK.

Engine as built by JH Aircooled Engines about 2001 – just google’d them and looks like they might not be around anymore.

That photo was taken about 5 years ago on the way to the south of France (it’s what I had on photobucket), unfortunately the body work has deterioated a bit since then, some bubbling up so needs a bit of tlc, something I don’t have the time or place to do – I’ve looked over the last couple of years for a garage or space to rent so I could sort it out but there’s nothing down this way. £20k would be great, but it could do with some tlc, some new foam and a few minor things to sort out on the interior so maybe £12.5? I need to get some good photos done today and then I’ll put it up on latebays 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Nice, I had a 1966cc type 1 stroker built by Laurie Pettit in my 1958 van.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Laurie Pettit, that name rings a bell!

I’ve been away from the ‘scene’ about 10 years, used to do more when I lived near London as it was easier to get to Santa Pod and all the meets around London and get to the south west. Bug Jam, Big Bang, Run to the Sun, great crazy days!

Friend of mine used to crew for Pete Englezos (Cog Box) with his Fiat so we got a good price on the gearboxes at the time, and he got an engine built by ??somebody?? Clarke (can’t remember first name) who was a drag racer and well known.

Used to be a group of us all with baywindows that would head off and have fun, all moved on now, sold their vans, moved, emigrated. Good times 😉

pk13

Laurie retired one of the good guys too. Good engine builder more importantly.
    I think Pete has retired too, your bus will find a new home in no time 12k is a little cheap for it

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best place to sell an old VW campervan’ is closed to new replies.