Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best place to see birds of prey in the Lake District
  • wallop

Taking the spouse to the Lakes this weekend for his birthday. Had planned a trip to the Lakeland Bird of Prey Centre (we love owls 😆 ) but it’s bloomin’ CLOSED.

Can anyone recommend another place to try? Have obvs looked on google but it’s not a good indicator of how good a place is.

Bunnyhop

Wallop – The owl trust usually have some owls in the middle of Kendal at Weekends. It’s only for show, not displaying.
    However I highly recommend Leighton Moss, an RSPB reserve. You are guarenteed to see some raptures. Probably marsh harriers, buzzards, kestrels, sparrowhawks, a peregrine falcon if you’re lucky
    The staff there are great.
    We’ve seen bitterns, otters and at this time of year starling murmerations just before dusk.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Owls at Muncaster, and it’s open.

http://www.muncaster.co.uk/hawk-owl-centre/

martinhutch

You are guarenteed to see some raptures

That would be an interesting weekend.

There are signs for Osprey stuff off the main A590 between Newby Bridge and the A591. Don’t know if it’s good though.

EDIT: Apparently they bugger off to Africa for the winter. Soft southerners.

woody2000
    somafunk

If you can be arsed then head up to Galloway to see the Red Kites flying around everywhere, there was 3 flying around my house earlier whilst getting bombed by the crows and not a day passes without me spotting them whilst out with the dog – they are as common as the bloody pheasants that roam throughout this area.

Galloway Red KIte Trail

cb

Home

This small place north of Keswick. Had never heard of it before seeking out other things to do during a wet half-term break!

Has a selection of birds of prey that you can get quite close to and two talks / displays per day. The Falconer (ist?) was very enthusiastic and even runs events where Joe Public gets to fly / handle the birds.

There were Eagles, Buzzards, Owls etc. Nice little place but obviously if you were seeking out wild spotting its not the place for you.

Bonus is that they have lemurs, meerkats etc etc…and the Lakeland Distillery is close by!

mangoridebike

I’ll 2nd Muncaster

it is great, with fantastic displays from the birds and a team who are passionate about what they do.

seeing a peregrine flying at speed close up is an amazing experience

the rest of the castle and grounds are good too

Andy

somafunk – Member
    If you can be arsed then head up to Galloway to see the Red Kites flying around everywhere, there was 3 flying around my house earlier

Pffft can usually see 10 or more flapping around my house next to the Chilterns 😉 Still its brilliant they have been re-introduced up there and even better I was surprised to see a Golden Eagle at GlenTrool when up in the summer

jekkyl

Whinlatter!
    I was there mid september and they had a live bird cam in the centre of some birds of prey, Ospreys? I’m not sure. by pure happenstance there’s also a fantastic cycle trail there 😮
    I’ll also second the wildlife park mentioned above, it’s cheap and small and reasonable for an afternoon. It’s got a great softplay if you have little wallops?

jekkyl

.X2

gastromonkey
    Free Member

This place is run by a friend of a friend. He went up to see the wolves and said it was brilliant. They do have some bird of prey experiences.

http://www.predatorexperience.co.uk

slowoldman

You are guarenteed to see some raptures.

andytherocketeer

Dodd Wood just up the road from Keswick on the other side of the lake from Whinlatter.

The Ospreys have all gone to Africa now though, so check back in April/May. RSPB always have telescopes set up there.

Home

Those site usually are kept up to date when they arrive back, lay eggs, hatch etc.

Don;t know about any places with captive birds. I only drop by to see the proper migrating wild birds.

wallop

Thanks everyone – some excellent suggestions and recommendations for places I’d seen on the internet, which is great.

I’ll have a proper look through tomorrow.

Cheers!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best place to see birds of prey in the Lake District’ is closed to new replies.