Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Best place to ride within two hours of Bicester
  • keppoch

Any suggestions for a good spot to ride for a couple of days within a realistic 2hr drive (he is quite a slow driver) of Bicester?

Looking for somewhere that is suitable for 26″ wheels. Trail centre or natural an option as we can go in a Skoda or Porsche.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Places I know

2.5 hrs you have;
    South Wales (BPW/Afan etc and Breacon Beacons)
    Long Myndd (2 days there might be a push)
    Peak District (probably my top recommendation)

2hrs to Surrey Hills (North Downs) and South Downs – one day in each – I could help you with a route for Surrey Hills

nickjb
    Free Member

Some good natural stuff in the Cotswolds. Woburn isn’t far either. The Ridgeway can be good too, it can also be very muddy

keppoch

Thanks for those, I guess given our respective locations the NW quadrant of search from Bicester works best.

That said the Porsche would probably camouflage in nicely around Surrey 🙂 but less sure about the 26″ wheels.

Ah Cotswolds, there was a Singletrack routes section on that at some point… Yes this is in a couple of weeks so think ground conditions will make the Ridgeway less attractive.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Forest of Dean would be within that range I’d have thought?

tonyg2003

South Wales from there would be my choice. Afan (two XC trails now), BPW, Afan and Brechfa. Tons of riding for two days, even before you get to the natural stuff

keppoch

Yes FoD within range. Do you have to know your way round or are there now decent trail centre type trails? My main riding experience of there was 15 years ago. I spent a lot of time on Fireroads feeling frustrated that I was missing out on something.

I guess the advent of a gpx guided route probably revolutionizes things.

keppoch

Google maps journey time says no for 2 hours to S. Wales. Plus I live there so looking for somewhere less good to ride 😉

nickc

You’re aware that the Chilterns (and the literally endless perfect woodland singletrack there) are but a mere 4 junctions down the M40 from you?

Trimix
    Free Member

Chilterns, 40 mins down the road – endless trails in the woods. Also good pubs to finish the ride off with a pint and roast 🙂

portlyone

Looking for somewhere that is suitable for 26″ wheels

Pretty sure they’re illegal now.

faustus

The Chilterns have been pretty dry lately, and with the current forecast should remain so or improve. Ridgeway should be in an OK state but not ridden it lately. As above, lots of decent singletrack and bridleways to explore in the Chilterns not far from Bicester. Less driving=more riding!

keppoch

Any pointers for good routes in the Chilterns then?

br
    Free Member

East – Chilterns and then Surrey etc
    South – Ridgeway
    West – FOD and Wales
    North – Cannock

tbh for nearest, there is loads of riding on/around the Ridgeway near the A34 south of Oxford or the Chilterns. Otherwise go west.

Trimix
    Free Member

Chilterns routes – you don’t really need any, just an OS map and some ability to read it.

Start from Christmas Common and follow the trails towards Turville, loop round there and ride back. Way too many to choose from, all good. Just read the map to decide on your level of hill climbing and choice of cheekiness.

Or Princess Risborough, or Goring, or pretty much any other spot in the Chilterns. Really, there are trails in all directions. If you don’t like the one you are on, pedal a bit more and take the next one.

rOcKeTdOg

Cannock
    wyre forest
    FoD
    Swinley

nickc

OS Explorer 171, and 172

TBH even if you made a route just using bridleways and BWs you’d have enough for 2 days

timidwheeler

I would recommend this to get you started.

IHN

As some have said, tonnes of really nice ‘just riding along’ riding in the Gloucestershire Alps (aka Cotswolds)

Trimix
    Free Member

No, don’t use someone else’s route – read an OS map and bring along a sense of adventure.

Go exploring, then the great bits you ride will be all the better as you found them. Rather than had them prescribed to you, or downloaded into your GPS.

Seriously, its pretty hard to ride crap bits of the Chilterns for more than a few minutes. (in the dry)

nickc

Double murdering, abusing his dear old mum, and heroin addiction aside, In his spare time Nick likes nothing more than exploring the Chilterns by bike…

😆

keppoch

No, don’t use someone else’s route – read an OS map and bring along a sense of adventure.

Go exploring, then the great bits you ride will be all the better as you found them. Rather than had them prescribed to you, or downloaded into your GPS.

I often agree with this approach but it is normally when I have time to spare. When you are meeting some friends you don’t get to ride with often I am always looking to make sure there is as much chance as possible as a decent ride. It won’t often be the best ultimately possible but it does mean it will normally be pretty good, YMMV but we will be following a route.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Woburn Sands
    Rushmere Woods
    Chicksands

All north of Bicester, sub 1hr drive and a hoot.

Aston hill similar distance to the east.

Cannock about 90 minutes from Bicester.

FoD maybe 1hr45 to 2 hours, but is 10 times better if you can get away from the trail centre and into the ‘off piste’ which really needs local knowledge/guiding.

ebennett

Moved from Scotland to live in Bicester for work, hated it as (in part) the biking options were pretty crap. Only lasted a year til I moved to Manchester, much happier now!

When I did get out I frequented Swinley, Cannock, and Aston Hill. Best options were in South Wales, but as you’ve said it’s a bit of a trek!

stevied
    Free Member

Malvern is within 2 hours of Bicester, if you want some natural stuff.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I see someone has finally mentioned Swinley. An easy place to ride and have fun at if you can’t be bothered with maps etc.

Depending when you fancy riding then one starter for 10 is to go on one of the Trail Break rides. They have one coming up at the end of April which would be dead handy for you as it goes from Princess Risborough. If you fancy a challenge you can do the 65k ride Ride details

soobalias
    Free Member
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Best place to ride within two hours of Bicester’ is closed to new replies.