Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Best place to live for mtbing in UK?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

I may have missed them but couldn’t see thread on this. So if you could choose anywhere to live in the UK for mountain biking where would it be? Thinking of quality of trails, variety, proximity and volume of users. I realise that this is subjective and appreciate different riders have different views on what is a good or great trail for them but what the hell I’m in the seventh circle of revision and slowly going mad, I need a distraction.

Please note that ‘Wales’ and ‘Scotland’ are not legitimate options, a town, city or maybe a house in the middle of nowhere.

DrP

Swindon.
    Nationwide.
    Woods Behind.

End of…

DrP

mattjg
    Free Member

there are loads of threads on this – one was ‘best town …’

binners

Crewe

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lakes. I did it was ace

fasthaggis

North of Fife

🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mbuk says edinburgh or Bristol Or Sheffield

fontmoss
    Free Member

Matt, just searched “best town” and didn’t come up with anything?

eightyeight
    Free Member

Bristol?! I won’t say Manchester is the best, but I can say (being or Bristol blood) it is certainly better that Bristol.

If I had to say somewhere, North Wales probably.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Sheffield, Peebles or Aviemore

andydicko
    Free Member

Anywhere in YORKSHIRE

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sheffield – not bad, but there is only really the Dark Peak within spitting ditance, which is cool, but you could cover 95% of it in 4 rides (stanage loop, hope/edale loop, cut gate, jacobs ladder).

I’m going for the Peaks side of Manchester, almost as close as Sheffield, but 90min drive from the Lakes and a lot of Wales as well. And there’re enough jobs to make it viable for just about anyone, which would be my reason for not going to Sheffield (or a lot of Scotland). Scottish borders would be cool for biking, but rubbish for jobs, or being close to fmily/friends, I’d usualy put MTB in the ‘must not be crap’ list of criteria rather than a must have.

LoCo
    Free Member

South Wales where we are, in addition to all the natural stuff, we’re going to have Cwmcarn, Gethin (Bikeparkwales), Afan, CwmRadyr, Ashton Court and Brechfa within a hour max drive. 😀

plecostomus
    Free Member

North (east) Wales. Easy access to all northern trail centers, mid Wales,can get to m6 in 50 minutes midlands in a hour 30-2hours. Lakes in 2.5 hours. loads of natural trails and local built trails. Loads of trails nobody rides, as they all drive past it to go to coed y brenin, llandegla,betws y coed etc. amazing climbing, beaches, no big cities or heavily populated, nice local people, its friendly.thats the reasons I live here anyway.

AlasdairMc

Edinburgh or Glasgow, if only for the links both North and South. Glasgow because it’s closer to the Highlands (the West Highland Way starts there), but Edinburgh because it’s nicer.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

i guess it depends if you want to anything else than ride your bike 😉

Brizzle FTW

br
    Free Member

Tweed Valley.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i guess it depends if you want to anything else than ride your bike

That depends on you, like this reply

I’m going for the Peaks side of Manchester, almost as close as Sheffield, but 90min drive from the Lakes and a lot of Wales as well. And there’re enough jobs to make it viable for just about anyone, which would be my reason for not going to Sheffield (or a lot of Scotland). Scottish borders would be cool for biking, but rubbish for jobs, or being close to fmily/friends, I’d usualy put MTB in the ‘must not be crap’ list of criteria rather than a must have.

That makes a lot of sense to me rather than just there are ace trails near Peebles so live there. Obviously there’s no right or wrong answer I’m just interested in what people experiences have been and what they think.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Close to an airport is best

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’m happy with north yorkshire, bridleway at the bottom of the garden onto the moors,

Dales are 25 mins away, lakes are an hour and half away.

Also three trail centers within an hour.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Close to an airport is best

🙂

benmotogp46
    Free Member

fontmoss – Member
    Matt, just searched “best town” and didn’t come up with anything?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/best-town-in-britain

fontmoss
    Free Member

3 years ago! Plus it was best town, this is best place for mtbing

fasthaggis

Obviously there’s no right or wrong answer I’m just interested in what people experiences have been and what they think

True

So where I live now is perfect( for me ).

Make the best of what ya got ,an all that 🙂

benmotogp46
    Free Member

fontmoss – Member
    3 years ago! Plus it was best town, this is best place for mtbing

Sorry, try this one….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mbrs-best-places-to-live

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[edit] just to clarify I’m not saying there’s no jobs in Sheffield, just no jobs for me.

johnellison
    Free Member

Todmorden or Hebden Bridge (West Yorkshire); Ambleside or Keswick (Cumbria); Settle or Hawes (North Yorkshire)

fontmoss
    Free Member

Ah I see ben. In my defence that’s cities not places and posted ages ago….

ok, ok I didn’t find that thread

Popocatapetl

+1 for Peaks side of Manchester 😀 And when they’ve built the new by-pass, i’ll be able to get to the Airport in 7 minutes and Edale is only 22 minutes away.
    A6 By-pass

grum
    Free Member

Todmorden or Hebden Bridge (West Yorkshire)

That’s where I’ll be moving to soon in large part motivated by the biking/climbing/walking and proximity to Leeds/Manchester for work. Pretty close to Yorkshire Dales, Peak District and not too far to the Lakes/Wales/Scottish Borders too.

Decent live music venue, Singletrack magazine, pretentious faux-hippie middle-class people like me – perfect. Near(ish) airports also.

House went on the market yesterday – had a viewing already and a few more booked in. 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Like said above, depends on what kind of riding you fancy. Trail centers, local woods, big mountains….

Scotland is pretty amazing for big mountain rides, we have some ace local riding and some pretty decent trail centers too.

You do need to eat Stovies and chips for breakfast everyday though.

soundninjauk

I would move to the Lake District in a second if I had the chance. I went to uni at Lancaster so was totally spoiled by having the Lakes on my doorstep. London’s just not the same… 🙁

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Gods County

Popocatapetl

^^Which one??? 😀

Carlos45
    Free Member

London

Good Audi dealerships and a couple of Santa Cruz suppliers within 30 miles…..

Given all the abuse Audi owners get on this forum I’ve just had to get rid of mine.

Won’t be swapping the TrC though……

tmb467
    Free Member

Live on Leeds / Bratfud border…

within 1hr I have locals rides, the Dales, Dark Peak & Wharncliffe, Gisburn, Staincliffe, Hebden Bridge et al

Within 2hrs I have Llandegla, Lower Lakes, Cannock Chase

Within 2.5hrs I then have North Wales (Coed y Brenin and up) and Upper Lakes

at a push I can do Tweed Valley in three hours

grum
    Free Member

The Lakes is probably the best area in the UK for natural riding. Yes there are more epic trails and bigger mountains elsewhere but the density of good riding in a small area is pretty unrivalled IMO.

Hebden is pretty damn good though.

plumber
    Free Member

Ramsbottom
    Bingley

mrmo
    Free Member

reading between the lines, the best place to live is the place closest to the motorway so you can DRIVE somewhere. FFS.

I would rather live where i do in Cheltenham where i can get plenty of riding from the door, if my mtbing involved driving i would never bother.

grum
    Free Member

Um no mrmo. There’s loads of great riding you can do from the door in Hebden. It’s just that you can also do trips further afield when you fancy. One of the main reasons I’m moving is so I don’t have to drive to go mountain biking/walking/climbing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Best place to live for mtbing in UK?’ is closed to new replies.