Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Best place to live for biking – MTB & Darkside
  • druidh
    Free Member

Bristol?

I guess it has the advantage of being the best place in the UK to buy cheap, secondhand components from “a guy down the pub”.

TinMan
    Free Member

C’mon, anyone not voting for Sheffield doesn’t know what they’re missing 😆

I live on the South side, a 15min ride to the city centre, but only 5mins to Dark Peak trails.

Live round Hunters Bar area & you can be offroad from your doorstep & culture next to the trailhead. Sorted.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

here!

epicyclo

The Highlands.

1. Has got actual mountains.
    2. At midsummer it’s still light enough to ride at midnight
    3. In winter we get short days, but more chance of snow and ice, which is mega fun. Apparently, illuminating devices are now commonly available.
    4. You will be in the spiritual centre of the country. More distilleries than you can poke a stick at.
    5. Did I mention we have actual mountains and hardly anyone on them?

Otherwise go to Oz where it’s warm 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Scotland.

Don’t move down here in the SW unless you can drive a tractor, milk a goat, indentify a cow(believe me some city people can’t, i’ve seen it)

If you can do all those and do move to the SW take note…we move at a very slow pace, if you expect things to happen at a click of finger, it probably won’t,

Do not bring city talk with you (pirate speech only)

When in villages, do speak to everyone you meet, if there’s and old lady leaning on the front gate and you start a conversation, there’s a good chance you be offered in for a cake and a nice cup of tea,

Don’t bitch and moan about cows and cow poo (if you know what one looks like) on the roads, it’s quite normal and it means milk will be available for you from the shops (milk comes from cows)

Do not bring your chelsea tractor with you, it will get dirty!

Do Not pick wild flowers..

and finally

Do enjoy Scotland

Sheffield.

FACT – I was born there

FACT – So was Peaty

FACT – So were the Arctic Monkeys

FACT – So were Reverand & The Makers

FACT – So were Milburn

FACT – It’s the home of the Leadmill

FACT – It’s a fantastic University City

FACT – The Peak District is next to it

FACT – It has Wharncliffe

FACT – It’s 20 miles from my current hometown of Matlock

FACT – It’s home to Sheffield United. We are Blades and we’re going to Wembley. COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIIIIIIZZZZAAARRRDS!!!!!!

NZCol

Wellington, NZ – sort of. OK its culture but not as you know it, good restaurants and lovely lovely lovely singletrack and lots of it. And hills, loads of those b astards as well. But no ice rink – we were discussing this last night, i think theres one in Dunedin. Anyhoo, nice place, good weather sometimes and realyl not very many people.
    Or Edinburgh.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Come on, BOULDER, COLORADO cannot be beaten! why do you think the IMBA are based there, along with a load of pro race teams! I can ride 28 miles of singletrack from town alone! 300 days of sunshine and its a ‘real’ city to boot….

I’ve been to Boulder.

It’s not a “real” city.

And my biking needs are likely to be different from “a load of pro race teams!”.

But it’s a nice enough wander up to the “natural ampitheatre” where U2 rocked out.

Wouldn’t want to live there though.

Inzane
    Free Member

No Ice rink in Welly Col?? Heck, we have even got one of those things in little old Christchurch!

NZCol

Do you ? I didn’t know that ! The only place we could decide there was an ice rink was Dunners although i vaguely thought there was one in central otago somewhere as well ? Anyway no we don’t have one but we have the water whirler so there 😛

shoefiti
    Free Member

FACT – So were the Arctic Monkeys

Hahahah good enough reason to avoid the place – a bunch of skinny spotty kids with gash songs about people that beat up hookers etc….

Inzane
    Free Member

Yeh Col, Naseby now has an indoor curling rink I think… quite a recent thing!

Tekapo has an outdoor skating rink, and there are a number of other unofficial skating rinks around the South Island… if you know where to find them and the weather has been cold enough!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I have to say that if it is in the UK then Inverness would be a great place to live. Aviemore 20mins, Golspie 40mins, Glasgow / Edinburgh 2hrs and all the natural riding you could ever want. Also, looking at the number of trail centres (if that’s your bag) then you’ve got Laggan, Golspie, Balblair, Learnie and that dodgy shore one down loch ness and another one on loch ness I can’t remember all within 40mins. For culture, well I don’t know that much about that apart from bands and loads of descent bands play inverness. In fact recently I was out in inverness and I was surprised how many of the pubs had really good live bands playing. Oh yeah and what we don’t tell you lot down sauf is that it’s one of the driest places in the country…

Sheffield’s the other choice but that’d be for climbing and it’s miles from any snow or sea.

If it’s not in the UK then out of all the places I’ve been it’d have to be here in the Basque Country. Loads of culture with San Sebastion, Bilbao and Biarritz next door and there’s loads of mountais rising straight from the surf like this:

I live by the beach and from my house I’ve got the choice of 2 mountains over 1000m’s and half a dozen of about 600m’s without getting in the car. You don’t get the unbroken sun of the south but the climate’s good for me. Oh yeah and the Basque girls are hot! (Have to say that!!)

Mackem

I’ll second the Basque country, not just for the mountain biking, the road riding is damn good too, loads of quiet back roads that go thru lovely villages with spectacular views. I moved here partly for the mountain biking but half my riding is on the road now.

What were the odds of two people in the basque country posting consecutively?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey Mark! We’ve still never met up for that ride! Did you get the granizo last night? Mental here, about the size of golf balls and they’ve broken some tiles on the roof and smashed the neighbours outside table!

Mackem

Not that bad round here, only the size of marbles. Thinking of heading over to Hondarribia for a weekend soon, i´ll let you know.

juan
    Free Member

Nice

End of thread…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sheffield:

Sunshine – dry side of the pennines, it realy is true!

whats this 20 min to the peaks by car nonsense? Broomhill->Hunters Bar->Parks (cheeky tastik) -> Peaks Thats 20 minutes ridning form the city center!

Culture- more live music than you could shake a stick at! Theater, etc etc etc

Bolehills, indoor dream and a propper skate park for the winter.

Miles from trail centers? Yup, an they’r miles from the good riding!

Steve and Tracey both come from that neck of the woods.

Very green city, parks everywhere, lots of properly old trees in the streets, not just token saplings in pedestrianised areas.

If i could find a job there there is nowhere i’d rather live!

BFITH
    Free Member

Has anybody mentioned Calderdale yet?
    Surely one of the finest areas in the country…..

alpin
    Free Member

innsbruck, salzburg, bregenz on lake constance.

prehaps not the biggest cities in the world but nestled between big hills, or mountains if you will, and generally very pretty. FM4 radio is top notch and a very good reason for living in austria (half german, half english and proper tunes – not like normal germanic radio). big hearty food. snow in winter, 35 degrees in summer.

proper transport links. buses run on time and are scheduled to meet up with arriving trains.

clean and open countryside.

i want to move back to bregenz.

ransos
    Free Member

Another vote for Bristol – I live near the middle of the city, but can be out on great trails in a 15 min ride. Buy a decent lock though!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

BFITH – Member
    Has anybody mentioned Calderdale yet?
    Surely one of the finest areas in the country…..

Agreed – its good riding, but the locals do tend to point at planes, and wave at tractors.

porterclough
    Free Member

Everything TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR says about Sheff is true, apart from Milburn and The Blunts, who are both equally embarrasing.

RepacK
    Free Member

Basque country looks good – I remember finishing a trip across the Pyrenees there & thinking what a cool place..I also remember the cider, just… 😕

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Best place to live for biking – MTB & Darkside’ is closed to new replies.