Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best place to get my holiday euros please
  • peterich
    Free Member

Hi all I’m off on holiday with the Mrs and kids next Wednesday and just wondered where in your experience is the best place to get £500 worth of euros from
    I’ve seen places on comparison sites better then post office but I’m a bit worried about paying money online to some random curancy company
    Am I best to just settle for £14 odd quid less and go for the safety of the post office
    Many thanks in advance
    Pete

nickjb
    Free Member

Just take them out of the cash machine when you get there.

peteimpreza

Just take them out of the cash machine when you get there.

As and when you need them.

mogrim

Unless you’re going to some very rural part of Europe, +1 cash machine.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

If I’m flying I’ve usually pre-ordered from Travelex and then collected from the Airport. They used to do a best rate guarantee and also you have an option of buy back too.

Cougar

FairFX card. Job jobbed.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Get a travelex cash card, available at the big supermarkets (Sainsbury’s). You put cash on it from your account and withdraw when abroad. Good rates and no transaction fees

You can use it year after year

jota180
    Free Member

We have a FairFX card that we use to save on throughout the year, you get a good rate and no charges for purchases, €1.50 for withdrawals IIRC
    We sometimes take cash if we have pound notes lying around and usually use Thomas Cook’s online order and collect from the store, much, much better than the walk in rate.

DrJ

If you use your debit card you will likely pay a larcenous fee. Check out the best banks for low exchange fees on the usual comparison sites.

smurf
    Free Member

Go to moneysavingexpert and read all the advice there.

As an example of the fees, under some duress, I took about £300 from a cash machine in Ireland and FD charged me something like £13 in total. Never again!

garage-dweller

Post office were doing better rates on £250 and over when I changed some on the 17 th. See if that’s still going it was about 4c/£ better than the normal rate. Just beware of not bringing too much back. My colleague struggled to get a decent rate today going €~£ today on about £100 it was 1.3x 😯 in a major city with plenty of competition.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Check your own card fees first.
    Look at a Pre Load/No fee card
    Use cash machines

nuke

We use the Post Office travel card…load it up online for best rate before we go (£500+ gets you better rate as well) then use it as a MasterCard when abroad or withdraw cash for €2 a go regardless of amount (so we take out €200ish per withdrawal). Away now as it happens and its been very useful 🙂

dux
    Free Member

I prefer Post office TBH, be sure to order on line for the best rate. Usually a better rate for £400-£999 or even better for over £999. I think i got 1.23 in early september.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The difference in the rate between the bands is tiny, for £500 the “better rate” for over £1000 would return you an extra 2.5 Euro.

Unless your trading it the volume you will use will mean the rate differences are small change

jamesy01
    Free Member

“Ramsdens for Gold” are usually pretty good.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best place to get my holiday euros please’ is closed to new replies.