Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best place to buy Olympic weights?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’ve put a wante ad up but failing that anyone know a decent place to get good / Cheapish weights from?

Online or not a million miles from south Manchester?

5thElefant
    Free Member
    sadexpunk

as you know, im after some too mate, with no luck in the wtd ads either 🙁

ive looked at the above link and also had decent stuff from powerhouse fitness too. free delivery there.

im still looking for cheaper tho, and checking gumtree too, so if you find a bargain somewhere shout my way and ill do the same to you 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Do you really need olympic weights? As they’re a lot more expensive I got non-Olympic ones from Decathlon for a good price.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I have a mate who’s a fitness instructor and body builder – he imports this kind of thing, I can ask him for more info if anyone’s interested…

He tends to sell full dumbell sets, racks, Smith machines etc, all gym quality stuff…

(He’s NW based too…)

neilnevill
    Free Member

well if either of you were South London I’d happilly sell you 2 x20kg and 2 x10 kg discs I haven’t used in err…over a decade……but I’m not posting or delivering!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a 50kg set of York (american size I think?) weights, barbell and dumbell bars.

£20 if anyone can pick it up from Teesside, Derby or Reading.

sadexpunk

shibboleth, im interested if its a decent price.
    as far as olympic being more expensive, i was told that isnt the case, and it goes more on £-per-lb, which should work out about the same.

without wishing to hijack the OPs thread, id still be interested in normal size weights too, as long as theres a 6ft bar, metal weights, and at least a couple of larger diameter plates to raise the bar away from the floor a bit more for deadlifts.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I’ve got these:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/93kg-set-id_4687932.html

A lot cheaper than their Olympic equivalent

sadexpunk

thanks for the link mate, but im after a fair bit more weight than that. at the mo im on nearly 100kg deadlift, and…….. looking at other peoples stats, ive got a fair bit heavier to aim for too!

thanks

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve bought some cheap plates recently from Tesco but they seem to keep changing their prices, 5kg for £5 and the 10kg were £15 but seem to have gone up to £30.

6ft Barbell I bought from some dutch place on ebay for £18, dumbbells were £16 from argos.

I then bought a load of bargain plates from gumtree and the bay, got 95kg for £20 and 55kg and a load of bars for £20 as well.

All standard non olympic but I’d say the bay and the tree are the way forward.

mudshark
    Free Member

Oh but Decathlon sell single plates too – inc 20kg IIRC. Having said that I wouldn’t go that heavy at home, I used to be into bigger weights and went to a grotty basement gym; squatted 140kg for reps and wouldn’t do that alone.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Why? I won’t do 1RM attempts with squats without a spotter but anything around 6+ is fine.

sadexpunk

hmmm yeah, ill keep looking out on ebay and gumtree. at first i thought weights sets were ten a penny and people were always selling them so id have no problem. hasnt been easy finding anything suitable tho.

as far as heavier weights go, ive got a squat rack with spotters, which i can also use with my bench, so theres no fear of failure on reps.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well if you’ve got a decent squat rack then fine but squatting to failure isn’t fun without safety features…I’d still use a gym though! Not only safer, better equipment and more motivating but spotters can help you squeeze out a few more reps.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you’re training at home (alone) there’s lots of things you can’t do to failure. Training to failure is just one technique though.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Mudshark, want to future proof so thats my reason for going olympic now, I’ve looked at that Decathlon set before but at £120 for 93kg going up to £150 for a set of 100kg olympic weights isn’t a massive jump.

Thats Fitness superstore looks like a good punt 5th cheers

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Ive got both a Squat rack, plus bench (decathlon models) in addition to approx 140kg in weights, non olympic but again the plastic coated (easier on the house floor) ranging from 20’s through to 2.5’s. Range of bars from curl, dumbbells with spin on ends, and 6ft narrow bar.

They’ve helping to clog up a yellow store shed in Sheffield at the minute, and have returned to the gym instead.

Yours for a couple of bottles of JD if interested. email t.armstrong@me.com if interested.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Mightymarmite You sooooo have mail!!

craigxxl
    Free Member

Shame you didn’t post this last month as I cleared out 235kg of Olympic discs, Barbell, EZ and Tricep bars, Squat Rack and Bench for £500. Keep an eye out on ebay also contact some of the local gyms as they all seem to be changing their discs for the rubber coated versions.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best place to buy Olympic weights?’ is closed to new replies.