• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Best place to buy a new PC?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Anyone doing especially good deals on PC+Printer+ Monitor at the moment?

Any reason to avoid PC World other than the numpties who work there?

Offroading
    Free Member

Build it yourself, cheaper and better end result.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

avoid pc world like the plague unless you can fix most things/deal with software issues yourself

soma_rich
    Free Member

Build it yourself, cheaper and better end result.

Not teh case anymore and no waranty.

I would go to PC world or Novatech.

All much of muchness in my experience.

headfirst
    Free Member

Any reason to avoid PC World other than the numpties who work there?

You’ve answered you own question.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dell are pretty decent, but I won’t buy another PC, I’ll just have a nice laptop next time

dyna-ti

I got mine built be microplay,they are one of these companies that does Lan gaming,they sell gaming rigs too and are quite happy to build to your specs and offer safe sound and unbiased advice on it.This is what i got for £450
    -Gigabyte ud3 MA770-UD3 motherboard [their choice]
    -Athlon 64 x2 dual Q6000+ at 3ghz
    -3 Gig of 1066mghz ram
    -XFX Gforce 9800+[OC] 512mb sli ddr3[a shit hot card]
    -cd/dvd player
    -cd/dvd rewriter
    – a nice black case with 2 big fans on it
    -decent quality 650w PSU [their choice]
    -I supplied XP32 bit,the moniter/KB/moose
    It will run any game settings to maximum[perhaps with the exception of crysis,but what will 🙄 ]
    And if it can do that,it can do anything else you need to do,easily.
    My last system [pc world for about £600 a few years ago] ran Counter strike source CS:S at about 50-60 FPS,which is not bad ,the new rig runs it at 227 FPS 😯
    If its the lowest cost your after,microplay do one starting at about £350 Its a basic rig but way better than a £500-600 rig from pc world and their generic cousins.
    That will include an OS but no moniter/KB/mouse

pc world will do a 17″ for £59 a 19″ for £87 and argos will do a 22″ for £117.As to an operating ,i’d personally stick to XP,for now at least,you can get a copy for about £45 and unlike vista ,works and is easy to navigate through.
    So for under £500 you can get a very good system,that will run anything you want it to,and probably wont need to upgrade[other than the ram] for a good 5 years.

FuzzyWuzzy

If you know what you want (and it’s not something exotic) then PC World is fine, kinda like buying a bike from Halfords (and don’t take advice from the numpties :p ). Personally I’d buy a PC on-line though (although if you’re looking in the £300-500 range you probably wouldn’t be saving much)

petestuart
    Free Member

MCSCOM are pretty good for refurbed Dells. Year warranty, good service, great price, all new accesories avaiblable too. Moitors and printers there are very cheap, but then Dell printers cartridges cost your first born…

They’re based in Fordingbridge so not far for you to pick it up but they deliver too. bought my last two PC’s from there. Definately recommend.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Self build.

Who said that wasn’t a cheaper option or a better build than a PC World machine?

I larfs in your general direction and diverts you to PC World helpdesk. Form an orderly queue!

nickc

Dell have always done fine, and TBH PC World is OK.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Another vote for Dell here. Really can’t fault them. They are not expensive, they work well and are reliable. Very happy with mine.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ll build you one!

You tell me what you need, I’ll see what I can do. I can get computer components cheap.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Got one now. Compaq laptop. Seems okay but Vista takes some getting used to.

Will it ask me to confirm EVERYTHING I ask it to do?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Why din’t you buy a Mac, you fool?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Because I have to actual use it for work, not just colouring in stuff

Solo
    Free Member

I was going to recommend Dell. I’ve had all my computers from them and can’t see the point of paying the premium for an HP.

Anyway, you’ve got your self a Compaq now, with Vista……

Oh man !. How I hate Vista. If you’re new to Vista, then you’re probably experiencing UAC Hell. Good news is, you can switch it off.

I tried vista for a short while on my new M1330 Dell laptop. However, when canon told me that they didn’t support vista for the scanner I have and that basically I’d have to bin a perfectly good peripheral, I started to feel really fed-up with Vista.
    Couple this with the white knuckle ride of a lottery to see if all your peripherals will work with Vista, hoping that the manufacturers have written new drivers to enable my kit to work with Vista, was all too much.

In the end, it beat me, I gave in and now I run XP on a computer intended to run Vista. Fortunately there are some very clever people out there on the web who figured it out and which drivers to use, and then posted the advise for other Vista victims.

Congrates on your new computer, good luck with Vista.

🙂

S.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I didn’t like vista at first but I’m used to it now and I think it’s actually pretty good.

Solo
    Free Member

Thats exactly what I pay my money for and why I like new technology.

Because it makes me change what and the way I want to do something, in order that I may use it….

S.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Best place to buy a new PC?’ is closed to new replies.