• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by erny.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Best place for wheel build in the NW?
  • itchy
    Free Member

Hoping to get a couple of recommendations for my new wheels. After ProII’s on 819’s and although they aren’t badly priced at CRC would rather pay a little more and go to a place someone on here can recommend. Travel all over NW from Mid-Wales up to Carlisle so anywhere in between. Thanks in advance.

wwaswas

merlin?

itchy
    Free Member

A couple of mates went there, one said they were fine the other said they weren’t. They are on my list though!

chakaping
    Free Member

Had seven Merlin wheels, all have been fine.

Definitely recommended.

neil853
    Free Member

second the merlin thing, very good wheel builders

coffeeking
    Free Member

Merlin, my merlin wheels have never faultered, in fact I wore through the braking surface of the rim on both they were that reliable!

bikey
    Free Member

Aparently Leisure Lakes in Bury is a good bike shop!!!!

Runs and hides from impending abuse…

pg03ben
    Free Member

just recieved some wheels from CRC, and i have to say that the wheel build is excellent! seems very strong, well built… really can’t complain.

scruzer
    Free Member

Merlin for sure

Seamus
    Free Member

Had a Pro2/DT4.2 from Merlin which wasn’t quite true and the spokes loosened more than I would have expected in the first few rides, a bit disapointing considering their reputation. It has been fine snce then though.

Wiksey
    Free Member

Merlin, with the advantage that if live in the North West and have a problem you can always take it in for them to sort out.
    I’ve had two sets of wheels from Merlin both have been fine for a number of years and a few riding buddies have had similar experience.

sonik
    Free Member

what about ‘blazing saddles’ in hebden bridge, or ‘ride-on’ in rawtenstall.

nbt

Can’t believe no-one’s mentioned Roger Musson yet in Preston, although to be fair I’m not sure if he’s still building wheels. – ah, it would appear not, sadly

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/

I’ve had several pairs from NWMTB in cheadle (j2, m60) and they’ve all been rock solid

mossman

2nd NWMTB, built me and mates some good wheels over the years

traildog
    Free Member

Merlin or Paul Hewitt.

Jenga
    Free Member

Paul Hewitt always used to finish off wheels that Merlin had laced. That was when Merlin were just round the corner from his shop in Leyland. Now that Merlin are in Chorley that might not be the case.

Nice guy Paul, if he likes you!

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

evans cycles on deansgate have a very good wheelbuilder, the best ive ever used.

erny
    Free Member

I’ve had a few pairs from merlin,nice and strong wheels at very good prices

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Best place for wheel build in the NW?’ is closed to new replies.