Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best place for extractor in en-suite?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

As title really – above shower head or opposite side of room (circulating air and all that).

Ta

gears_suck
    Free Member

It’s not designed to circulate air. You want it to remove moisture laden air from the room as quickly as possible so it doesn’t condense on surfaces and create condensation. Therefore, above the shower (if that’s what’s mostly used) would be better.

johndoh
    Free Member

Sorry – I meant that the shower is near the door so if it’s open I assumed air would sweep around the room and the fan might be better elsewhere.

I did assume above shower was best but was just checking though.

Cheers

stufive
    Free Member

Depends on your route outside dosent it?

johndoh
    Free Member

Probably – that’s why I would appreciate some advice 😉

core

As close to shower head as possible, but you need to keep the ducting pipe as short & direct as possible.

Opening a window makes a big difference to their performance too, they draw much better with a decent flow of air coming in.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Above the shower is best

On the continent they have vents or slots cut at the very botton of the door to allow air in so the fan doesnt have to work as hard to remove the moisture. ( no venting fans essentially pulling a vacuum and doing very little

Ill be doing this on my new doors. Experimenting on the old ones atm to find optimum size that my room needs

trail_rat
    Free Member

Very nice – its only a cold draught if the rest of your house is cold.

I have seen the vents in action – questioned some locals on it.

What drew me to it is the fact that i could shave in the mirror no bother after a shower….

So tried a shower in my house with the door ajar – again i could shave straight after without a misty mirror – same thing with the door shut . Mirror steamed.

Try it for your self

If running anything other than through an outside wall use the rectangular solid ducting – fits under floors and doesnt sag 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

I aint talking about a huge vent btw – if you have ever be to a domestic house in norway or poland (places i noticed them anyway) they have these sculpted gaps between the floor and their doors – maybe a quarter to half an inch high along the bottom.

pmc00per
    Free Member

4 air changes per minute!. That’s 240 air changes per hour. That would involve extracting 750l/s from a 2×2.5×2.7m2 bathroom. Most domestic bathroom fans are hard pushed to do 15l/s by the time you attach any ducting to it.

core

Use a 30 l/s fan, and it is standard practice in the uk for bathroom doors to be ‘undercut’ by 10mm, I.e. 10mm gap under door, for this very reason!

It’s best to get rid of moisture before it becomes condensation, not deal with it in the 15 mins after.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Makes sense core. Never been the case in any of the rentals ive been in . Bodgasaurus landlords and previous owner

Its gettig sorted when my new doors go in though 🙂

avdave2

What drew me to it is the fact that i could shave in the mirror no bother after a shower..

Heated mirror – I know I’m in a decent hotel when there’s a heated mirror.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im an idiot and your talking about droughts

Im happy and its not hurting me or making me cold

pjm84
    Free Member

Undercutting of doors is quite common. I draw the line above 15mm. Some M&E engineers have asked for 25mm and my response is short

gears_suck
    Free Member

Not sure what your point is trail-rat but I’m relieved your happy and cozy in your skin. Great news 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best place for extractor in en-suite?’ is closed to new replies.