Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best place for custom frame decals?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

For a Ti Road frame – brushed metal flavour – just wanted something subtle 🙂

Cheers 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Morning Foxy how are the legs feeling after Oktoberfest?, try Slik well spoken of:

http://www.slikgraphics.com/

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hi Simon – legs fine – commuted in this morning – back buggered though 😉

I tried emailing them but no reply – maybe I’ll give them a ring?

Your team did well! Sat and Sunday it seems?

nedrapier

LoCo,

How recently have they been well spoken of?

I remember good reports of the product, but bad reports of the communication and speed of delivery/nondelivery.

Have they picked things up again?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Foxy, I can maybe help you out. Do you need design/print?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes I have some ideas Lee 🙂 YGM 🙂

nedrapier

Lee, can you do waterslide decals? Or know someone who can?

I’d like to get some reproduction ’90s dekerf decals done, but want them under the laquer, rather than vinyl.

Ta.

xiphon
    Free Member

Slik have notoriously bad customer relations, but their work is good.

If you’re prepared to wait a very long time (unless you’re exceptionally lucky), apparently it’s worth it….

LoCo
    Free Member

Have had good reports from a few people about the work.

@lee I’ve mailed you re. some possible work too 😀

Irish_AL
    Free Member

give this guy a shout, his name is Garry, did some custom decals for me back in april very very good quality and good price, so impressed sent photos off to Ritchey in the states and got a thumbs up from them as well 🙂
    http://www.graphicshack.co.uk/

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers Irish – I’ll see what Lee comes up with 🙂

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

nedrapier, sorry I don’t know who could do those off the top of my head. I could probably do the artwork for you, but you’ll find the production to be quite expensive for one-offs. If you’re keen to do it anyway drop me a mail, address in my profile.

zilog6128

Lee, can you do waterslide decals? Or know someone who can?

I’d like to get some reproduction ’90s dekerf decals done, but want them under the laquer, rather than vinyl.
    Unless you’re going for 100% authenticity I think this would be unnecessary faff. If you leave the vinyls unlaminated (especially if you use very thin vinyl like 50 micron cast) then your paint guy will be able to build up the lacquer around it for a perfectly smooth finish. I have produced loads of decals which have been finished in this way and they have that perfect ‘under the lacquer’ look if done right.

nedrapier

Thread revival ahoy!

Been searching around and found someone to do the artwork (cheers Lee, I’ll be in touch soon with further details) but still can’t find anyone who can print waterslide decals. What’s odd is that there are loads of model-making sites offering printing, or instructions for you to print your own, but all the bike related stuff is vinyl only. Anyone know why this is? Issues with cost? quality? incompatibility with the laquer?

Think I may end up going for the newer decals, but this might necessitate a change of colour (cue hand wringing)

Could anyone post any close-up photos of their decals? Maybe the edges are a lot less obvious than I’m thinking.

nedrapier

If you leave the vinyls unlaminated (especially if you use very thin vinyl like 50 micron cast) then your paint guy will be able to build up the lacquer around it for a perfectly smooth finish.

zilog, I emailed Dave Yates cycles and Debbie said this would be a non starter. Maybe I explained it badly. What paintshops have you used? Any recommendations/example photos?

Thanks!

zilog6128

zilog, I emailed Dave Yates cycles and Debbie said this would be a non starter. Maybe I explained it badly. What paintshops have you used? Any recommendations/example photos?

Thanks!
    Did they say why they thought it wouldn’t work? Is it because the frame is brushed Ti and they don’t want to ruin that effect by lacquering it? I do a lot of decals for a local paintshop (Kent) – admittedly they are for motorbikes/scooters rather than pushbikes. Perhaps there is some difficulty in lacquering pushbike frames that I’m not aware of… I’ll ask the guy what he thinks & try to get some pics.

nedrapier

Thanks very much! Much appreciated!

It was the OP’s brushed Ti frame, mine will just be normal wet finish

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best place for custom frame decals?’ is closed to new replies.