Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Best Pint?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

This may be a bit too obvious as a thread, but here goes anyway.

I have four nominations:

A pint of Buckley’s Best in the Beaufort Arms in Kittle (Gower peninsula).

A pint of Marston’s Burton Bitter in the Scotman’s Pack in Hathersage (although committed the mortal sin of going back to attempt to recreate said perfect pint and it wasn’t as good second time around).

A pint of hand-drawn Tetley’s in some pub in Pudsey that had hand-made flouro card stars with black board marker on in the window that were advertising the food – you know the kind of place.

A pint of Young’s Triple A in the Morpeth Arms in Pimlico.

These places have all probably changed by now, but at the time, I think these are the best pints I’ve had – what are yours?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A pint of Young’s Triple A in the Morpeth Arms in Pimlico.

*Shakes head in despair*

Summer Lightning, on a summer’s evening way back when, at the Swan in Enford.

Pretty much anything at Cask. The right pub in Pimlico. 😉

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Somewhere in Yorkshire.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Deuchars is hard to beat, very reliable.

TheFlyingOx

Adnams Broadside at the Blue Bell Inn, Gringley-On-The-Hill is hard to beat.

RealMan
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

A cool cold bottle of Cinco Estrellas here after a long ride. Put it together with a bit of scran thrown together by Señor Berrendero. (Just seen the buggers are using MY photos!!!! Grr! 😀 ).

twotonpredator

any pint of abbotts ale i ever had from the dolphin in Derby. it was in my student days so it must have been good to be able to remember it. best served with a regal king size.

dannyh
    Free Member

@RealMan

That’ll be at the Wino’s Arms in some allotments somewhere will it? 🙂

When we were students we once created the world’s most lethal snakebite and black with Special Brew and White Lightning. The result was only just palatable, with horrendous consequences – firstly on the bowel, then on the the head. Let’s not go off-topic, though – I’m really quite keen to hear of some really good pint out ‘there’.

The Pimlico one might have something to do with context – being bought beer by my old man after going to the first day of the Oval tests each summer – it really was sunnier in those days…………

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don, the Cinco is my fave tipple after riding in Spain. Lovely stuff.

Another I have thought of – Stonehenge Ales Heelstone, from the brewery tap. *Waves at Stig!*

The Pimlico one might have something to do with context – being bought beer by my old man after going to the first day of the Oval tests each summer – it really was sunnier in those days…………

🙂

If you come back to this part of the world, though, Cask is where it’s at. In a big way. 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

Amazingly, the ‘good-times’ synapses in my brain are firing now and I have another one.

A pint of Woodford’s Wherry in a pub in Wells-Next-the-Sea, that I cannot remember the name of – or that very same pint when they had it on at my local (I say local, with two kids, a full-time job and a MTB habit it more like the mythical Moon under Water for me now!)

Squidlord
    Free Member

Special Brew and White Lightning

I used to do that! Value for money, let’s say.

deluded
    Free Member

A pint of Black Rat at ‘The Black Horse’, Clapton in Gordano.

A pint of Stella Artois at ‘The Hansom Cab’, Kensington.

A pint Grolsh at ‘De Hems’, Soho.

Any one of the innumerable exhibition ciders at ‘The Coronation Tap’, Bristol.

joat

NOT the on offer Carlsberg I picked up on the way back from an evening ride at Sherwood Pines, no Siree. (Awaits to be lambasted)

chvck
    Free Member

dannyh
    Free Member

@joat

“Need’s must when the devil vomits in your kettle” as Blackadder once said.

We’ve all done it. It just provides a neat contrast to any decent pint anywhere.

DezB
    Free Member

Pure Gold. From STW’s finest brewer 🙂
    The one on the right.

(This was part way into another STWer’s stag do last weekend 😀 )

lunge

Sadlers Mud City Stout at the Windsor Castle near stourbrudge. Brewed 20 yards from the bar. Gorgeous stuff.

nicko74

Banana Bread beer (from a bottle, but it still counts) at the Buckingham Arms, near Scotland Yard. Possibly on pub quiz night.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nicko, more people coming to my manor and drinking at the wrong pub! WTF is going on?

😉

Jamesy
    Free Member

A pint of holdens down the wagon and horses, halesowen

carlosg
    Free Member

It used to be Youngers No3 at Whitelocks in Leeds , but they stopped brewing it and my world fell apart. Oh how I miss its polished home brew maltyness in a dimpled pint pot 😥

obviously the pic has the wrong pint pot.

jj55

dannyh
    Free Member

Again, a bit of context for the Marston’s Burton Bitter.

A few years ago my mate had his stag weekend in Hathersage. Spotting an opportunity for a sneaky ride, I got there v early doors on the Friday and churned out a good few miles before getting back to the bunkhouses. A ‘warm-up’ on the Friday evening got well out of hand, so by the time I woke up on Saturday morning I was a bit ‘offside’.

His joint best man (I don’t approve of that, BTW), took us for a walk along Stanage Edge – great under normal circumstances, but not in the cold and wind with a filthy hangover.

On getting back to Hathersage, we went into one pub and I chewed my way through a couple of pints of Taylor’s Landlord – normally a good’un, but I find it dries my mouth out a bit, especially when I was completely arseholed the night before.

However, one sip of Burton Bitter at the Scotman’s Pack and I was back in the room. I saw three of those beauties off in the time it took everyone else to have one, then I was on fire for the rest of the day and night.

It was like some magic elixir…….

lunge

Jamesy, swap the holdens for Bathams or Thornbridge Jaipur and I think you’ve got a winner. Great pub The Waggon is.

brakes
    Free Member

Adnams Broadside at the Blue Bell Inn, Gringley-On-The-Hill

that used to be my local

kayak23

Best Pint? My current one….

Jamesy
    Free Member

Lunge , the laipur is quality stuff , love it but its dangerous stuff 🙂

Im lucky the wagon is my local i can easily crawl home 🙂

Great pub and really friendly people and now they do food( massive portions ) its even better

chewkw
    Free Member

I am trying this later on …

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

chewkw, proper Japanese Asahi, or the brewed in the UK tosh?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

No beer comes near……. A Guinness in the Crown in Belfast

hoodie
    Free Member

London Pride, The Royal Standard, Croydon. You wont find better.

boxelder

MartynS

No its not a pint, and it is Lager but great memories from a great place

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MartynS, the same glass after a big race meet in Greece (Sailing). It didn’t touch the sides. I still have the glass. Happy memories.

dannyh
    Free Member

MartynS,

Yes – nice one – before the kids came along, the missus and I used to go to Skiathos on holiday a bit – after a day on the beach and a lamb exohico in the evening, good old ‘Dr Mythos’ clocked in for a nightcap.

I’m not usually one for the lager, but a nice cold Windhoek lager in Plettenberg Bay South Africa after a ride through the Harkeville Forest during the day would also be a highlight. Or a day spent on the golf course, or a say spent bodyboarding, or trekking around a fabulous nature reserve – I think I might be getting lost in context again, but what the hell.

Honourable mention to Ye Olde Elm Tree in Durham – a class pint of Castle Eden in my student days – a welcome change from necking snakebite out of shoes etc.

simonjf63
    Free Member

Surely can only be Tim Taylor’s Landlord. Nothing else comes close

theotherjonv

something, but probably McEwen’s 80/- at the Shakespeare in Durham. (Must be in the back room mind. And if anyone refers to it as the fives room they are an utter ****). It might not technically be the best pint but I can’t wait to be back there each year. Been Deuchars recently, not quite as good but Paddy doesn’t do a bad job.

Best tasting I remember would be Castle Eden, before Whitbread took it over, served in the Dun Cow in the same city.

Durham silly drink used to be Special Brew and 1080 snakebites. Down in one. Although equally stupid was the night we dropped into the union bar and found they had a promotion to get a free t-shirt with 5 bottles of Diamond White – and we had about half an hour to spare before being due on a double date – with predictable consequences (got the t-shirt, didn’t get anything else from the date; in hindsight turning up wearing the DW t-shirts over our clothes probably was a key error)

dannyh
    Free Member

A bit off-topic, but probably my favourite pub anecdote – as told to me by my Dad.

One evening after a day at work at the Post Office (phones) in Leicester in the early seventies, the team took a new lad out for a few pints in Leicester. After a few pints and pubs it was the new lad’s turn to get a round in, but he hadn’t got enough cash with him. No ATMs or credit cards in those days me ode lad.

The guy goes up to the bar and asks the landlord “do you cash cheques?”

The landlord replies “Hmmm, you see that’s an interesting question, as it happens, I have an arrangement with the bank on this”.

The bloke replies (hopefully) “what’s that, then?”

The landlord replies “they don’t serve beer, and I don’t cash f*cking cheques”.

Priceless.

mattrgee
    Free Member

A pint of HSD at the Ship Inn, Padstow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Best Pint?’ is closed to new replies.