Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best PC security software
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Kaspersky internet security just coming to the end of its license, so need to renew/replace. Just wondering what the current best PC security option is. BitDefender total 2015 seems to get pretty good reviews at the moment.

It’s a work PC, so security more important than cost.

jam-bo

MS Forefront and Malwarbytes.

I’m not sure why people still pay for ‘security’ software.

z1ppy

I’d wonder why your company aren’t supporting your properly? (or do you get a budget for software, is this some sort of BYOD?).
    Anyways I’m happy with MS security essentials & malewarebytes*.
    Unless you pay for MWB, you will need to run it manually (or schedule it) regularly.

* Not suggest these are the best, but I’ve yet to be convinced any ‘paid for’ AV is any better.

aracer
    Free Member

+1 – better than most paid for AV in the sense it’s a lot less intrusive (and I’ve not seen anything to suggest it’s less good at protecting you)

Cougar

MSE (W7).
    Windows Defender (W8).

scotroutes

New life, same old stuff Cougar?

🙂

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Thanks to all so far.

Z1ppy, my company does support me, it lets me work from home and lets me provide PC etc. This works great for me, as means I can stay below the corporate radar.

I really struggle with the idea of MS essentials. Even MS suggest you do not use it as a day in day out AV.

aracer
    Free Member

Do they? Linky?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I could have sworn that when I was looking, this time last year, MS were in the news for saying that you should not rely on Defender as an AV product. That they were not putting the effort in to updates etc.

But, I’ve just spent an hour trying to find evidence of this, and can’t. Must have imagined it!

So, if its back on the table, looks like the current recommendation is Defender + Malwarebytes.

scotroutes

Could be you got confused with what MS were saying about XP – that they were no longer doing any AV updates for it?

Either way, MSE/Defender and Malwarebytes is the answer.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Ah, here we go…
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/2612376/microsoft-windows/microsoft-admits-security-essentials-offers-bare-bones-protection-by-design.html

Though, in reality, its completely unclear to me as to what it actually means. Does Defender need replacing entirely, or Defender + Malwarebytes as good as it gets, as suggested here.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best PC security software’ is closed to new replies.