Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best parts of the FOD?
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

Im off to forest of dean in 2 weeks for a long weekends riding, i know u have the main trail center with plenty to do but id like to find the best bits of the unmarked trails and bits we can session.

I have an OS of the forest so if you would like to recommend any areas, either by co-ordinates or landmarks then it will be most appreciated.

andeh

I’m glad you brought this up, I’m going too at the start of April and would like to know the ins and outs of the place. Recommended routes?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

The fountain inn website has a few routes. There’s some good stuff away from Pedalabikeaway, but it’s quite hard to find. Get yourself to Worcester Lodge, marked on the OS maps, and head downhill to the east or north east, gets pretty interesting. Dowies is further south and harder to explain.

I heard the bike centre were offering guided rides for £30 and was thinking about doing that myself, and I reckon I know the area reasonably well.

Alex

My riding pal Haydn does guiding. He’ll show you loads of good stuff if you wanted to go that way. Can book via pedalabikeaway I think. Otherwise post a bit closer to the time and I’m sure someome will show you round – a few of us know it pretty well and then there’s the font of all trail knowledge that is Sheldon 😉

floki
    Free Member

You could ask at PABA – they could point you in the direction of Dowies (1, 1.5, 2), MCT, Henrys, Scoobies, etc.
    Just so much good stuff in the FoD – its just sort of difficult to explain where it is. Best to hook up with someone who knows the best bits.

psling
    Free Member

Just so much good stuff in the FoD – its just sort of difficult to explain where it is. Best to hook up with someone who knows the best bits.

This ^

I’m guessing when you say bits you can session you’ll be looking for some of the downhill stuff most of which is above Pedalabikeaway and is woodsy, rooty stuff. There is rocky stuff in the FoD but you need to be shown where it is. If you’re after good swoopy, woodsy singletrack, there’s loads of it but again it’s best to be shown it. 8)

backtothetop
    Free Member

nice responses thanks,

I think the best bet will be just to arrive at pba and ride the marked stuff first and see who we can speak to from there, new tyres now fitted ready for the first adventure of the year.

s4rpf
    Free Member

Should be able to pick up last years enduro trail after you have done the skill section on the blue trail. And your cycling. On the fire road. It will be on your right just after the red route crosses the road. Should take you to some different areas and allow you to explore if it’s not to muddy

widge34
    Free Member

The best parts of the FOD? I think I have just ridden them. My God two of drops I have just done. Great riding around, Staunton, Newland, Redbrook and Monmouth. Why would you have to go anywhere else. I’m so lucky having all this natural singletrack on my doorstep.

backtothetop
    Free Member

i live in the wrong part of the country, essex is way to flat

tomhughes
    Free Member

I lived next to the FOD for 26 years, why have I only discovered mountain biking now that I live in Leicester!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

FOD is a strange place the art of a great ride down there is to link them up and thats takes a while to sort out.Find someone who knows it well and you get a great ride with all different trails.Did a great one saturday.always ajusting my rides.Essex is flat and you have a fuuny accent 🙄

theredchili
    Free Member

come on down 😀 35 square miles of woodland, so many options away from the trail centre routes, you will not be disapointed

p.s i will guide for £20 ha ha

amt27
    Free Member

p.s i will guide for £20 ha ha

I will trump you £15 cash in hand, takes years to know the forest,

shanta
    Free Member

Going to fod tomorrow anyone fancy showinga small group around around ?

backtothetop
    Free Member

1 more day at work and ill be bringing my funny accent to wales, (fod is in wales isnt it)lol

psling
    Free Member

Enjoy your weekend 🙂 Bits of FoD are in Wales but the main forest is in England. The historic Royal Forest of Dean is made up of what was called the Hundred of St. Briavels with certain (fiercely protected) rights bestowed upon people who were/are born within the boundaries. The current statutory Forest extends beyond those old boundaries nowadays and includes parts extending over the border into Wales. OK, history lesson over; have fun 8)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Wales!!! 😈

amt27
    Free Member

The historic Royal Forest of Dean is made up of what was called the Hundred of St. Briavels with certain (fiercely protected) rights bestowed upon people who were/are born within the boundaries

I be one of these

v666ern
    Free Member

i having done my mining rights, though i assume i can still roam my ‘ship’ where i want to 😀

Born at the dilke for locals

amt27
    Free Member

Born at the dilke for locals

not many of us left ol’pal

v666ern
    Free Member

i having done my mining rights

i meant i havent done my mining rights…that sounded worse than usual me babber!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best parts of the FOD?’ is closed to new replies.