• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pk13.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Best pads to replace ice tec slx
  • pk13

As above what are people using to replace the pads. My shimano ones are toast I suspect they are glazed as the last 30% of leaver pull results in trail disturbing howling.

I’m no Steve peat so it’s just single track, and trail riding.
    So superstar ,shimano what are the good people of singletrack using.

Thank you

hambl90
    Free Member

I always use superstar with mine .

xanboy
    Free Member

Shimano on mine.

pk13

Okay so what flavour sintered or organic superstar even do body armour ones

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Last week folk were saying Superstars were not good for Shimano and Uberbike are where its at…

pk13

Thanks

kiwifiz
    Free Member

+1 for superstar (sintered) in our regular riding group of 5 mixed SLX/XT shimano users. Cheap effective alternative and even last pretty well in the gritty Cannock context. Haven’t come across the Uberbike ones so can’t comment on them.

pk13

I’ve gone for uberbike ones £30 for 4 sets I will report back.

nealy
    Free Member

I hated superstar sintered, noisy and felt harsh. Got uberbike sintered now and they are great, very quiet, feel pretty nice (although still not as nice as organic) and can’t tell the difference between them and proper shimano sintered ice tech pads I’ve got on the other bike. Also like ubrebike race matrix but the winter peak district filth was eventually too much for them and their sintered are so good I can’t be bothered swapping them now

winrya
    Free Member

i took a load of superstar sintered and resin to the alps and they almost ruined the trip with the howling. Put genuine shimano back in and they were silent and nothing but perfect. Halfords are really cheap for the pads. Around £13 for a pair of finned and less for normal versions

poah
    Free Member

used uberbike Kevlar in my M675’s – worked well but pads are slightly too small so move about in caliper making a horrid noise when they move. sucked it up and replaced them like for like with fined organic pads from CRC.

edward2000
    Free Member

I had high expectations of my I user pads. They were diabolical. I’ve never been more disappointed. As soon as they got the slightest bit of damp they sounded like I was slowly murdering a seagull. Avoid.

Northwind

You can get different results with different brakes. I use superstar kevlar in all mine, and used to in older Shimano. Wasn’t at all impressed with Uberbike racematrixes, they were fine for a couple of easier rides in the UK but basically shit the bed in the alps, awful.

jamj1974

I used Superstar for a while but found they were noisy and seemed of variable thickness. I always use the manufacturers own pads in my brakes and think that works best for me. So Shimano in my Shimanos and Formula in my Formulas.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

superstar kevlar in all mine. No squeals. Haven’t used sintered for years. The organic/kevlar have much better feel IMO.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I recently came across a brake company called Rahox, http://www.rahoxbrakes.com/shimano-brake-pads/ They are based in my town although I don´t know the guys yet but the pads are manufactured in Japan. They sent me a set of pads to test and I couldn´t really be bothered because what am I going to write about pads! They were really, really good though. They don´t need bedding in, I don´t know how that works, and I found them really powerful and they really reduced the squealing in my formula brakes. I´ve only tested the superspeed compound so far and it´s lasting up well on two sets of brakes. You can order over the internet but also one guest from this year was so impressed he was looking at trying to get them stocked in bike shops around Aberdeen.
    I did manage to write some words about the pads over here… Rahox Brake Review

Basically not as expensive as manufacturers pads, not as cheap as superstar but performance is above both of those. Tested in the Pyrenees so I haven´t really tested them in muck and filth yet! Please excuse typos etc, still on 1st cup of coffee and long night with the baby last night.

nealy
    Free Member

doug_basqueMTB.com – Member
    I recently came across a brake company called Rahox, http://www.rahoxbrakes.com/shimano-brake-pads/ They are based in my town although I don´t know the guys yet but the pads are manufactured in Japan. They sent me a set of pads to test and I couldn´t really be bothered because what am I going to write about pads! They were really, really good though. They don´t need bedding in, I don´t know how that works, and I found them really powerful and they really reduced the squealing in my formula brakes. I´ve only tested the superspeed compound so far and it´s lasting up well on two sets of brakes. You can order over the internet but also one guest from this year was so impressed he was looking at trying to get them stocked in bike shops around Aberdeen.
    I did manage to write some words about the pads over here… Rahox Brake Review

Basically not as expensive as manufacturers pads, not as cheap as superstar but performance is above both of those. Tested in the Pyrenees so I haven´t really tested them in muck and filth yet! Please excuse typos etc, still on 1st cup of coffee and long night with the baby last night.

Reading the review they do sound good but the price difference is significant and they’re the most expensive

£23 – 4x Uberbike sintered
    £30 – 4x Uberbike Race Matrix

£32 – 4x Shimano resin (not finned)
    £45 – 4x Shimano metal sintered (not finned)

£55 (€67.80) – 4x Rahox Superspeed
    £58 (€71.80) – 4x Rahox Hyperspeed

doug_basqueMTB.com

Nealy, where are you getting the Shimano manufactured pads at that price? That’s like a tenner a pair. Or when you say 4x do you mean a complete set front and back?? If so a complete set of the Rahox are like €32. They aren’t the cheapest, for me to buy here they are a bit cheaper than manufacturers pads, but for me they work better. Based on testing about 3 pairs.

Edit: Looking at the web I think the überbike ones are about €10 compared to €15 for the Rahox. I’ve not tried the überbike ones so can’t compare. For me a few euros either way isn’t important for pads.

Tracey

Running Uberbike race matrix in ours with no problems. Just bought a few sets for our next Alps trip. Been using them since last year including the Alps and in the Peak through the winter. Managed to mix and match so got them for the xt’s and the xx’s

Grim
    Free Member

I use Superstar Kevlar on my Avids. Great pads, good feel and modulation and are lasting well. Available at a good price if you buy 4 sets and you can mix and match. Also the red back plates match the red brake hose on my bike. 😉

nealy
    Free Member

Nealy, where are you getting the Shimano manufactured pads at that price? That’s like a tenner a pair. Or when you say 4x do you mean a complete set front and back?? If so a complete set of the Rahox are like €32. They aren’t the cheapest, for me to buy here they are a bit cheaper than manufacturers pads, but for me they work better. Based on testing about 3 pairs.

Edit: Looking at the web I think the überbike ones are about €10 compared to €15 for the Rahox. I’ve not tried the überbike ones so can’t compare. For me a few euros either way isn’t important for pads.

All prices I worked out were 4x sets/8x pads/2x F&R Sets

Shimano resin pads €8.02 per pair plus €5.95 postage for order http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/disc-brake-pads-resin-g01a-53981

Shimano metal pads €12.05 per pair plus €5.95 postage for order http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/disc-brake-pads-g03s-metal-br-m985-785-666-60885

I’ve got uberbike sintered in my SLX brakes 180F/160R on my hard tail and Shimano finned metal F03C in my XT brakes 200F/180R on my full suss and they feel the same and I’d only put the extra power on the front of the full suss down to the larger rotor based on previous experience. All pads and rotors were bedded in properly. To be honest you don’t need finned pads in the UK but they do look nice, doubt I’ll pay extra for them when they need replacing.

Running Uberbike race matrix in ours with no problems. Just bought a few sets for our next Alps trip. Been using them since last year including the Alps and in the Peak through the winter. Managed to mix and match so got them for the xt’s and the xx’s

Credit to the race matrix the first set did last most of the winter but were only killed by the really bad weather in the peaks at the start of this year, for 90% of the year they are better than sintered

Max
    Free Member

+1 for uber bike sintered here

pk13

OK the pads turned up in good time 48hs I’ve fitted them so will see how they fair.
    One of the stainless springs was a little sloppy but I’m being very critical.
    Test ride to follow

daveh
    Free Member

I had a particularly filthy ride around Cannock yesterday and my freshly fitted Uber sintereds are probably more than half worn. Really aggressive conditions but still, not a great showing. I’ve just ordered up some Clarke’s which I used successfully on my old HFX9s, £15 for 4 sets. Can’t really complain at <£4 a set!

pk13

First longish ride in 10 miles of dust and mud in one ride and.
    The bite is better than the finned og pads without a doubt getting them very hot seems not to bother them (I’m not talking riding down the alps hot ). Let’s see how long they last. There quite too

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Best pads to replace ice tec slx’ is closed to new replies.