• This topic has 16 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mcoj.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best overall kit on a sub £1,000 bike?
  • mcoj
    Free Member

Hi all,

Just wondering what people’s opinions are on a complete bike, upto £1,000 with the best overall kit on it.

Boardman and Voodoo bikes are out (cos Halfords don’t accept the voucher)

Cheers

geoffj

Custom Specced Merlin Malt or On One?

Of course you wouldn’t be robbing the parts off your employer’s bike, would you?

mrben100
    Free Member

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p2292

If the size fits and its the type of bike you’re after. Good web-site for deals though will be last years/previous models.

Not sure if your magical voucher will work.

mcoj
    Free Member

Of course you wouldn’t be robbing the parts off your employer’s bike, would you?

Who, me, never?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

just built a 456 for bang on a grand. Custom build though. On One do their own builds for similar money.

grum
    Free Member

It sort of depends whether you think you will end up upgrading lots of bits anyway, or just ride it to death as is – but I would suggest concentrating on getting the right frame for you, and not too much about what bits are on it.

takisawa2

10spd SLX Inbred was £850. Thats got to be worth a go.

geoffj

It sort of depends whether you think you will end up upgrading lots of bits anyway, or just ride it to death as is – but I would suggest concentrating on getting the right frame for you, and not too much about what bits are on it.

I suspect that the frame will be surplus to requirements and the bike will be a donor.

mcoj
    Free Member

geoffj is correct, bike will be donor for components

But I have to say, some of the on one deals are fantastic, well done people. Keep the suggestions coming, they are appreciated

4ndyB
    Free Member

Cube Ltd Team £989

Double butted 7005 aluminium frame
    Reba SL’s
    SLX/XT 10spd
    Stroker Ryde
    XT hubs
    Easton finishing kit…

drop us an e-mail @ http://www.cubebikeshop.co.uk

mcoj
    Free Member

That CUBE has amazing kit on it, but alas the fork travel is too short.

Great package though

bellerophon
    Free Member

Is there a Genesis bike that has the kit you want?

I did it the other way round; bought an Abyss (slx+140mm revs with 20mm axle) for £1000 in 2009 mind (I notice they’re up to £1250 😯 ) Then this year on the scheme have bought a Prince Albert frame – bingo the steel framed bike I wanted for a net cost of £680 😆

mcoj
    Free Member

bellerophon, where did you get your frame through the cyclescheme, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m not aware of any places accepting the vouchers for anything other than complete bikes

hainman
    Free Member

Have a look at the decathlons.I just got got a rockrider 9.1 for 600 quid with tora air forks slx rear mech,slx shifters deore drive train.Hayes hydraulic brakes.can’t be bad for 600 quid.

nicky
    Free Member

Hi.
    My Whyte 805 is brilliant. All good stuff on it. You could have the best bike in the world but its the comfort of riding it that is important. Its best to try a good few out. The internet is ok but it doesn’t give you the feel of the bike and they all differ so much on geometry.

bellerophon
    Free Member

mcoj – drop me an email, addy in profile…

mcoj
    Free Member

Just to reiterate, I’m interested in the kit, not necessarily the frame. Thanks again all. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best overall kit on a sub £1,000 bike?’ is closed to new replies.